Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: choices of clutch linkage types Pros and Con of each beside the obvious?

Post Thanks / Like

choices of clutch linkage types Pros and Con of each beside the obvious?

anyone have one and dislike it enough to switch to the other?

34117 - Installing Manual Transmission: Package includes clutch quadrant, cable, and hardware+$145.00
    is this one the fox body type of quadrant??

34158 - Hydraulic Clutch Master Cylinder Kit (requires customer supplied slave cylinder and hydraulic throw-out bearing)+$140.00

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a third solution which is Mike Forte's External Hydraulic Clutch Kit (link below). I went this route on my build.

I originally ordered the clutch quadrant/cable solution but after researching reviews of that solution, a lot of reviewers complained that the pedal is very stiff/hard to push in (I have bad left knee), the cable breaks frequently (lot of reviews on that) and in the engine bay you have a huge clutch cable loop from the firewall to the transmission which I didn't want. Pro is the price is cheap.

I then researched the hydraulic throw-out bearing solution which is a perfectly fine solution; and many have gone with that. My hang up is "if" there were ever issues I didn't want to have to remove the transmission or engine/tranny to get to it. These kit cars are pretty crammed together and while it can be done, removing the engine/tranny or even the tranny alone as an after-thought would take a lot of work. I never priced a decent hydraulic throw-out bearing since I knew this was not a solution I was interested in.

Next, I found Mike's external hydraulic solution which worked best for me. Still get a hydraulic solution, but it's external and can be easily adjusted or replaced if needed. Little spendy, but I think the cost would be comparable to FFR Hydraulic kit plus sourcing your own throw-out bearing.

Link --> https://fortesparts.com/product/fort...ic-clutch-kit/

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

3. Likes Tom Veale liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Go hydraulic on the Hotrod
    Mike

5. Likes Tom Veale, Mastertech5 liked this post