Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 65 Coupe paint question

Post Thanks / Like

65 Coupe paint question

I'm thinking about the stripes for the Daytona and I am curious what the typical width is for the two stripes going down the center of the body? How much space is do folks put between these two center stripes?
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    A while back I posted a thread titled "72 Hours of Sugar, Caffeine and Isocyanates," and the dimensions I used are in post #10. I seem to recall making the stripes a little wider than the typical AC Cobra dimensions so that the outside edges would clear the hood bubble. I can check the gap between the stripes when I get back to PGH in a week, but I want to say it is 1.25".

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...nd-Isocyanates
    Last edited by Jacob McCrea; 10-02-2023 at 04:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think there are two separate questions here. How wide are the stripes? How wide is the gap?

I understand that the '64's had narrower stripes. 6" actually. The gap was ~ 1".

In '65, I understand that the stripes were wider. 8-10", with a larger gap. This was, to my understanding, the stripe width that was originally proposed by Peter Brock, but over-ruled in the '64 season.

Stripes and livery from Raceline digital, which they attest is based on the originals in '64, are indeed 6" wide with a 1" gap. FWIW, I have found it is basically impossible to lay vinyl stripe decals on the bonnet with the "bump" over the induction. The bends involved have too small a radius. So if (or when) I stripe my coupe, it is a paint job.

I think it always comes down to your preferences. These are not true replicas of the original 6 that we are building. What looks good to you? I think a wider stripe, with maybe a 2" gap is what I would angle for.

Have fun!!

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s been a year since I last did a Coupe but if memory serves 8” wide with 1” between will keep the hood blister within the stripes.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    LateApex Thanks ! I’m curious why you tapered the stripes to 7.75 inch at the top and bottom of the windshield?

Post Thanks / Like
    What I've read is that due to the curves of the body, without the taper the stripes don't appear to be the same width as they go up the hood toward the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a conversation on this topic with Peter Brock about one month ago. As Jacob mentioned above, a taper actually makes the stripe appear straight, just as Roman and Greek columns of old were fatter in the middle to prevent them from looking thin in the middle or fragile in perspective. So yes, narrower stripes at the stem and stern ...