FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gen 2 Coyote & MT 82 Trans - Clutch Adjustment Help Needed

Post Thanks / Like

Gen 2 Coyote & MT 82 Trans - Clutch Adjustment Help Needed

As the title states, I'm running a Gen 2 Coyote with the stock MT82 6 Speed transmission. I put in a new, performance, clutch before installing in the car.
    I'm having issues getting the clutch adjusted. I've threaded the cylinder rod in and out all the way as well has bled the hydraulic clutch. I created a vacuum and pumped the air out. I have plenty of firmness on the clutch pedal.
    The issue is that with the clutch pushed in all the way the car still wants to move when I try putting it in gear. Seems like the clutch isn't being totally disengaged.
    Wondering if there's something I'm missing or if I need to modify the clutch pedal setup to get more travel.
    Anyone run into this?

Thanks!
    Chris
    MKIV Roadster Complete Kit
    2016 Coyote | MT82 6-SPD | 3-Link 3:55 Rear
    Delivered 7/3/2023 Completed 11/13/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you have the hyd side of the clutch right. I am going to assume you have a slave cyl on the clutch fork. If so, you need more travel out of your slave cylinder. The easiest way could be to lengthen the rod from the slave cylinder to the clutch fork. Most of these rods are threaded for adjustment. You do not want to lengthen the rod to the extent you are putting pressure on the clutch. Most are adjusted with enough slack for the throw out bearing to clear the clutch fingers.
    If you have a hyd throw out bearing, I am afraid it could be a shim problem. This might involve removing the trans.
    More information will help with advise.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Verify youre getting a full stroke on the master cylinder. If you are, you might need a bigger master to move enough volume to get the needed throw for the slave. I had that issue with the wilwood master, it didnt move enough volume for my clutch even though it was the "right size" for the setup. A tilton in the next size up fixed that issue

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What are you using for a slaved cylinder - mine does that a little bit and I increased the master from 3/4 to 7/8 - just need to be careful that you don't over travel the slave. I am running a twin disc so I am not sure this apples to apples.. I have 10,000+ miles on it right now and haven't had any issue with the slight engagement "issue". I am using stock slaved as well.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the motor and transmission out of a wrecked Mustang GT with 40k miles.
    I replaced the stock clutch with a M-PACT 07199WSST2 Upgrade Kit; with Hi-Torque 6 Puck Ceramic Disc; 11" x 1" x 23T.
    I checked their website and under Tech Bullitens there is a bulletin about shimming the hydraulic release bearing but it says it applies to 2005-10 4.6 Ford Mustangs
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cdurbin328 View Post
    I bought the motor and transmission out of a wrecked Mustang GT with 40k miles.
    I replaced the stock clutch with a M-PACT 07199WSST2 Upgrade Kit; with Hi-Torque 6 Puck Ceramic Disc; 11" x 1" x 23T.
    I checked their website and under Tech Bullitens there is a bulletin about shimming the hydraulic release bearing but it says it applies to 2005-10 4.6 Ford Mustangs
    Yeah, but changing the clutch may be a different set of rules.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I figured out the issue. I had to adjust the MC pushrod to allow more pedal travel.
    That did the trick. I was able to take her out for a "go-kart" spin around the hood.
    It sounds incredible with that coyote 5.0
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to do the same thing with my Gen2/MT82. Was just about to post before I saw yours. Great feeling to get that figured out. Even better behind the wheel!
    MKIV #8414 - Complete Kit - Gen 2 Coyote - MT82 6 Speed - Wilwoods - Moser 3.55 Rear