Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Factory Five Ownership Change

Post Thanks / Like
    Does this mean you won't be running for President of the United States this election? I was really hoping to see you on the ballot...

Seriously though, congrats Dave! I can't wait to see what you all at FFR do in 2012!

Post Thanks / Like
    Way to go! Step back, take a breath, have a beer and...... GET BACK TO WORK!! Seriously, congrats.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dave,

Simply outstanding! That has been a long time coming and I can't tell you how glad we are that it's all done.

:beer: to you man!

R

Robert, I really miss you man

FFR Roadster Mark III, 500hp Small Block Chevrolet, TKO600, BMW Imola Red with silver ghost flamed stripes by the immortal Batman.

"There's nothing you can't do, only stuff you haven't done yet!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats from Oklahoma. My family and I wish you well in your continued success in this wonderful company. I pray that any stress on family has been minimal and your relationship with your brother holds strong. God bless you and yours. Nick C.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad that this is finally over. I thought that was you I saw last month on "The Shark Tank"! :=))))) Does that mean I can come down and start working on MY office?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fact5racer View Post
    Does that mean I can come down and start working on MY office?
    NO! It means you have to buy your next ten kits from Mark. Dave decided to throw you into the deal.
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy668 View Post
    NO! It means you have to buy your next ten kits from Mark. Dave decided to throw you into the deal.

It's bad enough that the Soviets made the stipulation of me leaving the ARMY part of the SALT treaty with President Reagan,

now I get transfered to Smyth Performance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

Congrats on the sole ownership of FFR. When my son and I came to visit the showroom in search of inspiration to purchase a coupe you let us back stage to see the proto type larry. My son still talks about that at times. Your strong family ties have created a company that owns it's existance to the family atmosphere created between all the builders. Ultimatley we are all responsible for each others succes in completing these awesome kits.
    Keep moving forward as you have in the past, cause standing still is going backwards. I think the 818 is going to be another succesfull chapter in the FFR book.

John

P.S. even though I did not purchase my kit directly from FFR they still let me purchase the rear glass window for the introductory price. Just got the call it's in, gotta go get it.
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Dave. Must be quite a relief and motivator for what is to come next.

Still moving forward on FFR5818 here in Austin, as life allows, and the project continues to be a very positive influence in my life...thanks to you and the crew at FFR.

Looking forward to whatever comes next from FFR!

Brian
    FFR 5818 MK3.1 build restarted.
    331 EFI stroker, T5-Z, 3.08 gears. BBK shorty headers -> FFR cat's & side pipes.
    Power brakes, electric power steering. Tan leather interior, TBD color, no stripes.
    Latest Milestone: First Start. Current: EEC tune via BE, Moates QH, Innovate LC-1

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Dave. Now you can focus on what you love and Mark can center his focus on the projects he loves. It worked out best for both of you and I am very happy for you. I know how much this company means to you. Best Wishes Big Dave
    Owner MK4 7642RD, 393 stroker, Gordon Levy Super Alloy T5, HDX Clutch, Moser 3.31 3-link with disc brakes, 17" Bullit wheels, NT05's, Seat heaters donated by WarmSeats.com, door panels donated by Herbs Door panels.

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks guys for the kind words. I wish Mark all the best with whatever direction he chooses... My path is set and my job is to continue to build Factory Five, continue to try and do something better every day, continue to be grateful for the best job in the world and continue to act, work, teach and lead this company understanding that the person who walks thru the front door is our boss and we exist only thru his or her support. I'll write the book of this company someday, but not now... We're not even half way thru and the chapters we are starting to write today will be some of the best. Thanks again for the job and kindness.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,
    Congratulations becoming the undisputed "benevolent dictator" of Factory Five. I cannot imagine a more appropriate dictator than you. And thank you for letting me play in your sandbox with my Yellow One. My last five years building, showing, cruising, and racing my MKIII have been more fun than a retired architect should be allowed to have. I am looking forward to more years of great memories with my car and the next phase of FFR's achievements.
    John Tongish
    e.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Dave ! , Future looks bright for you and FFR, might have to wear shades....

Last edited by Vman7; 02-01-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Dave. Looking forward to celebrating with you in HB!

Post Thanks / Like

Family First

Just remember one thing Dave...Companies come and go, grow and shrink, merge and are sold, but family never goes away. Your kids are only small once and your brother was there before the company. Congratulations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ddorrer View Post
    Just remember one thing Dave...Companies come and go, grow and shrink, merge and are sold, but family never goes away. Your kids are only small once and your brother was there before the company. Congratulations.
    I agree on the kids, but I've got a brother who is teaching English in Shanghai,China and thats "just" as close as I want him to be.
    Last time I saw him ended with his big mouth flapping,me closing it with a solid right to the chin and watching him go Lights out Irene.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post

Over the past 15 years I have had the frequent honor of bringing important news of the company to all of you. This past week I’ve spent some time looking back over our website archives and remembering so many Factory Five milestones and adventures with good friends since 1995. I was humbled by the sheer volume AND depth of the life stories that this company has been a part of! Mostly though, I was honored to have been at the helm and to have been the person whose job it is to tell the story, break the news, or attempt to put into words an important event in our shared journey.

This morning, I have yet another story to tell you about. I am happy to report to you that as of last Thursday, January 19, 2012 I have purchased the company in its entirety from my brother Mark. To me, it is deeply meaningful to know that I own this company outright and am finally able to share that ownership with the people who deserve it the most and who have done the heavy lifting of building the company. To many of you it won’t seem like much has changed right away, but the real effects will be huge and noticed soon enough.

The truth is that Mark had not worked at, or been an active part of the company since 2001. Although it was tough and it took a while to reach an agreement, the buy-out was good for both of us. It gives Mark the ability to follow his own path and it allows me to do what I love and to use a greater percentage of the company revenues to accelerate new products, reward the crew, and focus on ways to bring the Factory Five experience to more people.

I have been the President of this company since it began and I have worked here for six days a week for over 15 years. In that time, I have learned much about business and even more about what is important to me personally. The freedom to do something I truly love for a career has been, and is immensely valuable to me. Even more though, the chance to work with such great, intelligent, kind and decent people as the crew here at FFR is really such a pleasure.

I have been witness to so many great stories and I understand the special way this company and community of Factory Five owners has affected people’s lives. I have also been fortunate to have made great friendships along the way… friendships I wouldn’t trade for any amount of money.

While I want the company to be financially successful, and I believe that without the burden of a non-contributing shareholder, it will be more profitable than ever… I want even more, for the company to continue to fulfill its true charter of making a difference in people’s lives and, thru the medium of these cars, bring people together.
    To me, Factory Five Racing is an amazing story that has been, and continues to be, literally BUILT by all of us. I am excited that the company, now with a single clear vision, has a better chance to grow and in so doing, build more great stories along the way.

My brother leaves with our thanks for his contributions in the early days and our best wishes. The road ahead for Factory Five is more exciting than I could ever have dreamed. The weight and responsibility to make the company even better is tremendous, but it is a familiar weight, and I shoulder it well. I promise to build on the strong foundation of our past, but also to bring the company forward into an exciting new chapter where the best stories have yet to be written.

David Smith
    President
    Good for you. I hope the buy out didn't strain the family relations. I just put a down payment for a MK4 Roadster kit through Western Canada Cobras and have signed up for the Michigan build school in April. I'm getting excited to finalize the order and get going. May consider the 800 kilometer return trip to pick up the kit. I would really like to see the Factory Five facilities.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Dave,
    You are truly one in a BILLION. Your unique personality, insight into human nature and self-motivation are what make America great. We who have benefited from your creation are indebted beyond measure.
    Art in Birmingham, AL

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

The smile you have in the photo, plus your kids smiles, perfectly illustrates the intergrity and trust of Factory Five. It is really that simple. Congrats on another milestone.

Da Bear
    Telescopes are instruments of hope and faith. Hope that a better, clearer and brighter universe can be observed. Faith that we can bring these discoveries back to our small planet and create positive changes for all of it's inhabitants.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    An unexpected package recently arrived from FFR that reminded me while I have been busy with problems, with Jake and studies, life does not pause, but is moving on.

I having been away for a while, on my return find that while I still have a Mark I, I now have a DAVE powering FFR! It is good to have a DAVE "engine" pulling FFR!
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12