Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Coupe Exhaust Options

Post Thanks / Like

Coupe Exhaust Options

Just a poll ...

What exhaust pipes have you settled on in your coupe build?

I expect a lot of "Boig" responses, and more than a few "stock" FFR twin pipes. Anything else? Do, for example Roadster pipes mate with the Coupe SBF ball-flange headers?

I have been spending too much time on a hack to reduce exhaust noise on my coupe ...

Thx in advance for any feedback !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Stock FFR with ceramic coating in white for me.

Francois

Post Thanks / Like
    I have made 4 exhaust systems for the coupe looking for the right sound and look.
    I think the ones in the video I made are near perfect.
    https://youtu.be/6cDpWwb-Yfc?si=d4r_rizq0lCGl8ca
    You still need hearing protection when driving but most of that is tire noise as 200 TW tires for autocross are noisy as hell.

4. Thanks LateApex thanked for this post
    Likes rhk118 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm surprised no one has said Gasn yet - I've always thought you should check those out Bob - no ball fitting (direct bolt on) and at least somewhat more quite according to several folks....

Rian

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Boig single pipes ceramic coated. I think the choice if you are going to change from the FFR pipes is do you want single or dual pipes? Single is Boig dual is Gasn. Also the engine type and cam makes big differencee in the sound.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Very happy with the Gas-N's on mine. Having dual pipes was a must for me. At the time I built mine, Factory Five only had the bare steel version. They were "Nascar loud" and at least mine very poorly welded. My Gas-N's aren't super quiet. But the best option at the time for how I envisioned the completed build. But then the Coupe isn't very quiet no matter what. We wear ear protection and just drive it. The polished SS pipes that Factory Five offers now look good but I have no experience with them.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Stock FFR ceramic coat black
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand.
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering. Album Here

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR stainless. You have to wear ear plugs no matter what the sidepipes anyway.

Dave
    Gen III #17

Post Thanks / Like
    Rian, I agree that if I were to do this again, I would lean to the Gas-N-Pipes. As Paul notes, the twins are very attractive on the Coupe and they minimize snake bite. The FFR stainless pipes are reasonably well finished, but the mirror-finish of the Gas-N's is outstanding.

As I may have mentioned in the past, I purchased the FFR pipes and ball-flange headers with my kit. I quickly realized that these are indeed NASCAR loud, and regardless of my wearing hearing protection, too loud for my taste. So I started digging into the pipes and playing with baffles. Cutting off the turn-outs was the no-turn-around point.

When one does get to peer inside the side-pipes, it is easy to see why these pipes are so loud. No baffling and very small perforations in the belly walls. I tried the Car Chemistry inserts - don't waste your time here. I also tried Vortex cones. These likely do help the flow be more laminar, but there is no significant decibel reduction.

Next, I secured some full-length "HighFlo Performance" baffles. Installing these is a bit of a trick, as part of the installation involved wrapping the baffle with ceramic cloth. Actually it involved inserting the ceramic cloth into the belly of the side pipes and then sliding the baffles home. The second time I assembled this, I used a ceramic cloth with an embedded very fine wire. Without wire, packing will eventually (or not-so eventually) blow out. The sound reduction is decent and the pipes have a nice tone.

And then I started developing a rattle - this is the baffles rattling at the head end. I had riveted the baffles at the rear where I had cut off the turn-outs. After riveting, the turnouts were re-attached using set of Borla clamps. To fix the rattle, I have moved to 1/4" SS blind rivets with the correct grip range and a tensile strength of 2000+ pounds, and some SS strips wrapped (and secured) around the tail of the baffles that result in a snug fit, i.e.: no gap between baffle o.d. and the i.d of the side pipes. I had to do a little grinding on the domed head of the rivets to seat the Borla clamps properly. Results are good so far. I'll get a few hundred more heat cycles on the system before I declare success.

I have also commented on the ball flanges. Not a fan of that design. They do not tighten up well, and are a hack IMO. IF I had purchased a set of headers with a shamrock flange, THEN I would have bought the Gas-N side-pipes. IF my latest kludge doesn't perform well, THEN I'll likely purchase a set of pipes and headers from Gas-N, and hang my existing system on the wall as a testament to "Good Engineers Gone Bad" ;-). To tell you the truth, I never thought to become an exhaust engineer - Haha!

Post Thanks / Like
    LateApex,
    FYI, the headers that i got from Gas-N do have a ball type connection similar to FFR. Has a wrap around band instead of the 3 bolt set-up. Not ideal because as you mentioned they are hard to seal up, and the O2 sensor is just after the connection. The adjustability is nice though.
    John
    Gen 3 Coupe #334 received 11/4/21. Coyote, IRS, TKX, Wilwoods
    '02 GT donor, 4.6 sohc, Received #5488 on 5/29/06. 3-link, ps, pb. Hoosier Cobra member (Hoosiercobra.com)

Post Thanks / Like
    The reasons i switched to the Boig pipes are. The original pipes from FFR were so loud that even with ear plugs my ears were ringing after a 30 min ride and I planned to do long trips with the car. I have enough hearing issues that I did not want to make it worse. I would have liked to keep the look of the dual pipes but at the time Gasn had not done Coupe pipes so .... Boig it was..
    Note that my Coupe is #16 from early 2017 - I ordered it late January so some changes to the pipes might have been made since then.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019