Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: First Dash Position Check-Feedback?

Post Thanks / Like

First Dash Position Check-Feedback?

Build Friends, I clamped the dash in place for a first pass position check. A few points, then pictures.—I’m glad pics on the forum are working better today.

-Loosened upper steering shaft bearing and pushed shaft as far right as there was slack
    -Both dash ends are 3/8” (not 3/16”) down from the hoop top when the dash is flush with the hoop top a few inches inward. But with the 2 ends equal, the bottom of dash is not level. These pics are with the PS down until the bottom is level. Level was measured with a bubble level and measuring to the cockpit floor. I’m not sure if level is so important and it might be better to push the PS up to the same spacing as DS?
    -Both dash ends have 1-3/4” from where the top of the dash rolls down (* in pics)to where the hoop ends. So this and the steering shaft slot alignment make me think the dash is centered Left to right on the frame. Also the 2 roll down points (*) are the same distance to what I’ve marked as the center of the dash. I’m not sure what the little hole at the top of the dash is-I would have guessed FFR was showing the center? But if that’s center the steering shaft misses the slot and even my smallish speedometer would hit the steering frame mount.
    -It may not matter right now, but I plan to rivet 3 1” long 1”x1” angle aluminum mounts to the bottom of the hoop. These will have a nutsert and the dash will mount to these mounts with 1/4-20 flange button-head bolts. The bolts should be accessible with the body on.
    IMG_5160.jpegIMG_5162.jpegIMG_5161.jpegIMG_5163.jpegIMG_5164.jpegIMG_5162.jpeg
    Feedback?IMG_5165.jpeg
    Last edited by BUDFIVE; 04-30-2024 at 10:12 PM.
    BUDFIVE
    Complete kit order 8/28/2023
    347 Ford Dyno 10/12/2023
    Kit Delivery 11/28/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    just make the dash bottom level and you should be good. the 3/16" below the hoop is a guideline. Make sure you have clearance from the underside of the loop with you left-most gauge and center your steering column with the opening. the body will cover up any gap or asymmetry at the top of the dash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stop over thinking it. Put the gauges in, level it up, by eye is MORE than enough and move on.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that you're being too precise. Eyeball level is good enough. Also, don't forget to cut and inch or two off the passenger side end of the dash...the bit that folds in behind the door hinge. If you don't, it'll hit the firewall extension. That was the tip Jeff Kleiner gave to me a few months back when I was fitting my dash.
    Last edited by gbranham; 05-01-2024 at 08:17 AM.
    Built an early MkIII years ago, sold years ago.
    Got Corvettes out of my system, and now back after 18 years to build a MkIV.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker, Holley Sniper 2, Hyperspark, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes
    Here to learn, contribute, and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks y’all. Fair comments on over thinking it/precision—not the first time
    BUDFIVE
    347 Ford Dyno 10/12/2023
    Kit Delivery 11/28/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    and cut that firewall notch down another 1/2-3/4" for the windshield post while you're there.

7. Likes phileas_fogg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Start by centering the dash side to side on the steering shaft inside the precut oval. Make sure to cut the passenger side end wing shorter. The 3/16" down on the ends is a guideline as said above. Install the angled aluminum for mounting but ditch the nutserts. The black trim screws that come with the kit work just fine.

Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Egchewy79, which firewall notch?
    BUDFIVE
    347 Ford Dyno 10/12/2023
    Kit Delivery 11/28/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    The notch on the PS firewall extension

Post Thanks / Like
    Got it. Not yet installed. I’ll make a note.
    BUDFIVE
    347 Ford Dyno 10/12/2023
    Kit Delivery 11/28/2023