BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Questions from an Old Timer Planning a New Build

Post Thanks / Like

Questions from an Old Timer Planning a New Build

Fellow forum members:

I purchased a Factory Five Roadster kit in 2000, had it on the road in 2003 and sold it in 2019 after enjoying it for over 46K miles. The reason for this post is that I'm planning on building another Roadster (298 USRRC/FIA version) as a retirement project. And since I've been out of the game for 5 years, I have a few questions that I'd appreciate your feedback on.

1. I want power steering and power brakes. (When I originally built my car I had manual brakes and steering, then after a few years retrofit power steering and Hydroboost brakes.) What's the current, optimum method of installing power brakes? Especially now that Factory Five no longer utilizes the Mustang donor pedal box? (I'm leaning toward vacuum assist if it's feasible with a frame mod and clutch and brake pedal setup.)

2. My car utilized the Mustang quadrant/clutch cable set-up and I never had any problems with that system. I see now that a hydraulic slave cylinder actuated system is common. Is one system better than the other, especially considering my plan to install power brakes? (Basically, which clutch actuation method in most conducive for installing power brakes, or does it matter?)

Any other pointers?

Thanks.
    Mk 1, with a Blueprint 347, Sniper EFI, 3-Link with VPM Rear Sway Bar, Power Steering with Hydroboost Brakes, Under Car Exhaust, Rear Fender Flares
    (Drove over 46,000 miles then sold in September 2019)
    Ordered a MK4 in May 2024 as a Retirement Project

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim,
    I built my car a couple of years ago and used a Foxbody pedal box. Pretty sure you can still do it this way but you have to ask for the correct footbox aluminum panel. If you don't plan on using Wilwood brakes I think this is still a great option. I'm running the FFR supplied front brakes and 2015 Mustang IRS rear brakes and my car stops on a dime. I'm using a Foxbody vacuum booster and Mustang Cobra master cylinder. Cable clutch (Ford) and OEM style brakes makes for cheap and easy repairs. I didn't do power steering but will next time. I drive my car and would do it this way again.

Dave
    MK4 Complete kit FFR9939. Gen 1 Coyote, Tremec 3650, IRS 3.31 ratio, Breeze radiator stuff, Breeze cubby and battery mount, North Race Cars heat and A/C, RT drop trunk kit, Replica Parts radiator aluminum and brake booster spacer, FFR soft top.

Post Thanks / Like
    100 % agree with Dave! So much so that it’s exactly how I’ve built cars for customers. And yes, absolutely do power steering! Good to see you back in the game Jim

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    My last and really fantastic brake setup was dual MCs like FFR now offers, standard FFR front brakes and 2015 IRS oem rear brakes. I bought my IRS stuff as a takeout pallet and made sure to get one that included the brakes. I used Hawk HP+ pads and had brakes w/ an effort just very slightly more than my Tacoma pickup. The pads dust some so I used this to help.
    https://www.armorall.com/product/out...ust-repellent/
    I also had a dedicated small shop vac w/ a brush on the end of the hose.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.