Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: OEM Clutch Cable w/ Coyote and TKO600

Post Thanks / Like

OEM Clutch Cable w/ Coyote and TKO600

I am just not happy with how the clutch cable is on my Mk4 and I'm pretty sure I bought the wrong one.

Based on recommendations I've read here, I ordered the Ford OEM clutch cable to replace the FFR supplied on. The part number I ordered was "M-7553-C302" and I find the cable to be too long even with it adjusted at the clutch fork end all the way. I even added a firewall adjuster which takes out another 1.25" or so inches, and now it is OK but still adjusted all the way at the fork leaving NO room for future adjustment.

More reading on the forum tells me that I should have ordered part number "M-7553-E302" instead. Can someone please confirm that the E302 cable is in fact a few inches shorter than the C302? I cant find any online specs that say the actual length (even on the ford parts website).

By the way, the FFR supplied cable fits better but does make the clutch pedal harder to push.

Thanks!
    Jason
    MK4 Complete Kit #9673 | Ordered: 08/07/2019 | Pickup: 08/24/2019
    Gen 2 Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, 18" Halibrands, Kirkey Vintage Race Seats, Gas-N Headers and Pipes
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...IRS-Build-9673

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the C302 and it was long, so did the following and it works great. I did not use a firewall adjuster $$$. The FF cable is HORRIBLE!..

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...h-cable-spacer

Curious if that E302 is better though.

Post Thanks / Like
    call mike forte. 2 cables for something around $50. keep the spare on your shelf or in your trunk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing - had the same problem with the cable & TKO-600
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    call mike forte. 2 cables for something around $50. keep the spare on your shelf or in your trunk.
    I'm pretty sure Mikes is the same Ford cable, I may be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry that the FFR supplied cable is not working for you. I'm using it (the FFR cable) and it works fine. Doesn't seem that heavy. Nevertheless, I think egchewy's suggestion is a good alternative!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BradCraig View Post
    I used the C302 and it was long, so did the following and it works great. I did not use a firewall adjuster $$$. The FF cable is HORRIBLE!..

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...h-cable-spacer

Curious if that E302 is better though.
    Clever solution - thanks!
    Gen 2 Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, 18" Halibrands, Kirkey Vintage Race Seats, Gas-N Headers and Pipes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BradCraig View Post
    I'm pretty sure Mikes is the same Ford cable, I may be wrong.
    Thank you both. Having a spare is probably a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    I'm sorry that the FFR supplied cable is not working for you. I'm using it (the FFR cable) and it works fine. Doesn't seem that heavy. Nevertheless, I think egchewy's suggestion is a good alternative!
    Thanks. The FFR supplied cable does work, but there is a noticeable difference with the Ford part and I prefer the feel of that one.

I wasn't able to call Ford Performance Parts tech line during business hours today, but will do so tomorrow to try to find out the length difference between the C302 and E302 (if only for future reference).

Thanks all.
    Last edited by Traveller; 02-17-2021 at 06:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a terrible time with the FFR supplied cable until I removed and oiled it, then it was fine...until it snapped. To be fair, it was probably my fault as I put a nut on the engine side of the threaded shaft which prevented it from pivoting. I bought Mike Forte’s cables and it works perfectly and is thicker. It also fit just fine with his supplied firewall adjuster.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_0611.jpg

Do not trust the cable from FFR. This is what happened after 300 miles, leaving me stranded, and causing my first, and only "ride of shame" on the back of a flatbed.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BB767 View Post
    IMG_0611.jpg

Do not trust the cable from FFR. This is what happened after 300 miles, leaving me stranded, and causing my first, and only "ride of shame" on the back of a flatbed.
    Ouch. Yes I will be going with the Ford cable (either the C302 I have with a spacer or the E302 if it is in fact shorter) as yours isn't the first time I've heard of the FFR cables breaking. Just by looking at both cables you can see an obvious difference in quality. I'm sure the FFR cable can work just fine, but this seems like a cheap upgrade / insurance to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    3000+ miles so far with the FFR cable and not a hint of an issue. I did add a Steeda firewall adjuster, but have not touched it since it was installed.

At the end of my first driving season last fall, I checked the cable at the clutch fork and no signs of wear or damage.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

13. Thanks Traveller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    To close the loop - I did talk to Ford Performance tech support today and they did not have length information available. They did say that he was "90% sure" that the C302 cable is the shorter of the two.

Post Thanks / Like
    For others reading this I will add my recommendation for a FORD cable. Probably 12 yrs ago I talked to Mark at Breeze because he offered two cables. I asked which he thought was better. He said he prefers one over the other because he discovered it is manufactured in a country that is a democracy. So I got it and it took maybe 9 years to die and all those years I thought it worked fine. But by then I had heard about the Ford cables Forte sells so ordered and installed one. The difference was immediate. I would say it reduced pedal effort by 25%. The spare cable was carried in the trunk.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

16. Likes Al_C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    For others reading this I will add my recommendation for a FORD cable. Probably 12 yrs ago I talked to Mark at Breeze because he offered two cables. I asked which he thought was better. He said he prefers one over the other because he discovered it is manufactured in a country that is a democracy. So I got it and it took maybe 9 years to die and all those years I thought it worked fine. But by then I had heard about the Ford cables Forte sells so ordered and installed one. The difference was immediate. I would say it reduced pedal effort by 25%. The spare cable was carried in the trunk.
    Right, you think your FF cable is OK until you try the ford cable. At least 25% less pedal effort and MUCH smoother.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too started with the FF supplied cable, but just didn't like the feel of it. I switched to the Ford cable and it is night and day. So much smoother and less friction.
    MKIV Roadster #9414, Complete Kit Delivered 9/8/2018, First Start 11/9/2018, First Go Cart 11/10/2018, Ford 306 Hand Built, E303 Cam, Blueprint Engine Heads, Edelbrock Performer Manifold, Edelbrock AVS2 Carb, Roller Rockers, Tremec T5, 3.55 Moser 3 Link, 17" Halibrand Replicas, Nitto 555 G2's, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Heated Seats, Russ Thompson Turn Signal

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I'm an outlier, but the FFR cable feels smooth to me and I've had another FFR owner compare it to what they had and they commented that mine was much different. So, for now I'll stick with it. If it fails, I'll call Forte.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

20. Likes Al_C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reviving this thread because of my clutch cable issues. My FFR cable snapped at the pedal fork after about 2000 miles. I would hope that it was installed correctly since it was on the 2018 FFR SEMA coupe. I ordered another cable from FFR and greased this one pretty well prior to install. The pedal effort was significantly reduced and it worked well until the moment it snapped this morning at the pedal fork again. 3500 miles on this cable. No sign of increased pedal effort prior to the sudden break. At least it happened in my driveway this time. Last time required a flatbed ride. I called Mike Forte today and he said he can set me up if I give him a call back Monday. Hoping the cable on his part is much stronger than the one from FFR.
    Last edited by jmsrx; 05-04-2024 at 01:30 PM.
    Gen. 3 Coupe - Coyote motor, TKO 5 speed
    Daily Driver: 2017 Ford Focus RS