Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Headlight install instructions

Post Thanks / Like

Headlight install instructions

A long time ago, I bought the headlight kit with the black bucket for my non-FFR roadster. I didn't receive any instructions with the kit and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how all the little pieces all go together.
    Does anyone have the instructions you could post, fax, scan & send, so I can figure this out?

Thanks,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't recall ever getting any with all the kits I have built. Let me see if I can walk you through it

1. Find the chrome head light bracket and the actual glass light.

2. Place the ring on the outside portion of the glass light and the rotate the ring until three of the holes line up with the rectangular bumps on the back side of the light

3. Find the three small metal clips and three screws. Use these to attach the light to the ring. I use a small bead of silicone in a few spots to help hold the light in place. The clips are pretty weak.

4. Install the rubber grommet in the light bucket

5. Attach the wiring harness to the bulb and run the wires through the bucket

6. Find the 2 adjuster screws and 1 small self tapping screw.

7. The adjuster screws go in the holes that have the boss on the back side. Screw them in a few turns and then install the light. The adjusters go in the angular slots. The 3rd screw goes through the last remaing hole.

8. Your light should now be attached to the bucket. There is one more clip that goes on the bottom of the bucket that helps hold the trim ring in place. Secure the trim ring with the remaining screw

9. Install the light in your roadster with the lights writing upright. Use 4 small screws to attach it to the car. Holes are predrilled in the bucket . Hope this helps you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike,
    From your instructions it looks like my guessing and head scratching must have been right as I think I got it about 95% of the way you described. Now to see if I understand how the trim ring stays on.

Well, went out and checked and I had the buckets 180 degrees out. Got that straightened out and mounted so the lights are oriented properly and all the mounting screws are in the right place. Still haven't figured out how the clip fits the bucket to hold the trim ring on, but I'm sure I'll get it when I need to in a week or so.

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 02-08-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's actually an anti rattle clip. Pretty sure it attaches to the plastic bucket at 6 o'clock. Press it on so that the rounded part is facing down and forward. The trim ring locks on a couple of protrusions at the top then snaps over the clip you just installed. A screw at the bottom holds it all together.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an older MKIV build. Those clips do seem weak. I often find the headlight has rotated on ne, and I have to re-align it.

A weird thing, on mine...the black bucket, outer rim diameter is larger than than the ID on the chrome trim ring. So the lower retaining screw, on the trim ring, will no line up with the hole in the bucket. Previous owner rotated the ring a bit, drilled a new screw hole, further forward, to install the trim ring.

Is this normal that the trim ring will not mate to the black bucket properly?

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    Thanks Mike,
    From your instructions it looks like my guessing and head scratching must have been right as I think I got it about 95% of the way you described. Now to see if I understand how the trim ring stays on.

Well, went out and checked and I had the buckets 180 degrees out. Got that straightened out and mounted so the lights are oriented properly and all the mounting screws are in the right place. Still haven't figured out how the clip fits the bucket to hold the trim ring on, but I'm sure I'll get it when I need to in a week or so.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    An eleven year old post.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an older MKIV build. Those clips do seem weak. I often find the headlight has rotated on me, and I have to re-align it.

A weird thing, on mine...the black bucket, outer rim diameter is larger than the ID on the chrome trim ring. So the lower retaining screw, on the trim ring, will no line up with the hole in the bucket. Previous owner rotated the ring a bit, drilled a new screw hole, further forward, to install the trim ring.

Is this normal that the trim ring will not mate to the black bucket properly?

Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    I don't recall ever getting any with all the kits I have built. Let me see if I can walk you through it

1. Find the chrome head light bracket and the actual glass light.

2. Place the ring on the outside portion of the glass light and the rotate the ring until three of the holes line up with the rectangular bumps on the back side of the light

3. Find the three small metal clips and three screws. Use these to attach the light to the ring. I use a small bead of silicone in a few spots to help hold the light in place. The clips are pretty weak.

4. Install the rubber grommet in the light bucket

5. Attach the wiring harness to the bulb and run the wires through the bucket

6. Find the 2 adjuster screws and 1 small self tapping screw.

7. The adjuster screws go in the holes that have the boss on the back side. Screw them in a few turns and then install the light. The adjusters go in the angular slots. The 3rd screw goes through the last remaing hole.

8. Your light should now be attached to the bucket. There is one more clip that goes on the bottom of the bucket that helps hold the trim ring in place. Secure the trim ring with the remaining screw

9. Install the light in your roadster with the lights writing upright. Use 4 small screws to attach it to the car. Holes are predrilled in the bucket . Hope this helps you.