Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hydraulic clutch feedback please

Post Thanks / Like

Hydraulic clutch feedback please

I am trying to figure out if I have the slave cylinder adjusted correctly. No instructions but lots of comments in the forums. I picked up the kit from Forte for a 302 with a T5. The master cylinder and slave are assumed to be correct. I had to get a different mount for the slave cylinder since I received it after the engine was installed. Pretty similar to a TKO setup. That part is ok. I added hydraulic fluid and bleed the system. The slave cylinder rod moves the fork. It seems okay to me. I don't have any play (slack/lash) in the fork.

So should there be a little slack between the slave and the fork when my foot is not on the peddle?

How do I know for sure the slave cylinder is not putting too much pressure on the clutch.

Should I be trying to adjust the bolt/rod on the slave ?

I have not done a first start yet so I can't run through the gears.

What tips can you offer?
    Mk IV, IRS, 302 w/EFI & T5, 15" wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    As I recall, there should be some play between the pushrod of the slave cylinder and the fork - say 1/8" - 1/4". The rod on the slave fits into a bullet-shaped cup at the slave end. You trim the rod to get the play needed. Don't worry if you cut the rod too short; you can easily make another by cutting the head of a long, appropriately-sized diameter bolt.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    phileas is correct, there should be free play on the slave cylinder rod, just like there should be similar play in a mechanical clutch release system.
    The end in mind is the same as not riding the clutch pedal.
    If the clutch fork is not allowed to release FULLY the load on the throw-out bearing causes it to spin, and it should not do that. The TOB should be static until you have to disengage the clutch.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Legendary View Post
    I am trying to figure out if I have the slave cylinder adjusted correctly. No instructions but lots of comments in the forums. I picked up the kit from Forte for a 302 with a T5. The master cylinder and slave are assumed to be correct. I had to get a different mount for the slave cylinder since I received it after the engine was installed. Pretty similar to a TKO setup. That part is ok. I added hydraulic fluid and bleed the system. The slave cylinder rod moves the fork. It seems okay to me. I don't have any play (slack/lash) in the fork.

So should there be a little slack between the slave and the fork when my foot is not on the peddle?

How do I know for sure the slave cylinder is not putting too much pressure on the clutch.

Should I be trying to adjust the bolt/rod on the slave ?

I have not done a first start yet so I can't run through the gears.

What tips can you offer?
    Yes, you need to adjust the length of the pushrod so that the clutch arm is roughly perpendicular to the driveline. There should be a little bit of slack with the system at rest as already mentioned. Plus add it to your maintenance schedule to adjust as the clutch wears. Too much pressure on the clutch -- no if everything is adjusted properly. Wish I had a dime for every time people ask about instructions for the Forte hydraulic clutch. Just saying...
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay sounds good. Out of time for this week, so that will be on next week's to do list.

1. Make sure to adjust the push rod for a little bit of slack.

Picked up a vacuum air bleed tool from HF. Will double check the line for air bubbles.

I appreciate the insight.
    Mk IV, IRS, 302 w/EFI & T5, 15" wheels