FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Lessons from Texas safety inspection (and registration)

Post Thanks / Like

Lessons from Texas safety inspection (and registration)

I had my Texas assembled vehicle safety inspection this week and wanted to pass along some things for those that may be interested.
    First, I literally called over 40 shops around my part of DFW to get an ASE master tech who was current on their credentials and was willing to perform the inspection. After taking the car to two different shops that said they could perform the inspection (only to be told once there that their ASE mater tech certifications had expired), I was able to have someone look it over this week. He spent about two hours going through things and here are the main takeaways:

1. He said that the teflon tape I have on the NPT fittings going into the Wilwood calipers needs to be removed. I know some have the opinion that teflon tape should never be used for anything in the brake plumbing as brake fluid will eat through ptfe, but I was following Wilwood's explicit instructions on this. The brake mfg said to do it, so I did. I showed the tech the Wilwood documentation and he said he would need to consider how I should proceed. I will update on this once he decides how he wants me to proceed.
    2. I used two stacks of hardened washers as spacers to raise the transmission tail about 0.75" to better align with the driveshaft. He wants me to replace these with a solid block with holes drilled through it. I think I saw something along these lines on Forte's website, will need to check.
    3. Similar to above, I had to use a little more than an inch of washers to space the Metco safety loop around the driveshaft. He said I would be fine with sleeved bushings or pipe here, just not the washers.
    4. My ebrake cable clevis is rubbing on the mount a bit and he wants me to extend the lever to avoid this.
    5. He did not like the 'twist' of my front brake flex lines. Not sure I agree on this one, but I will see what I can do.
    6. He found a leak on my power steering pump. I reached out to Blueprint and they are sending a replacement. Never done this part before, so if anyone can share info on 'how to replace a power steering pump for dummies', I would be appreciative. I figured if I could put the rest of the car together, the ps pump can't be that bad (insert foreboding ominous music here).
    7. I need to tighten up my oil temp and oil pressure sensors, as both are leaking a little oil. I also need to tighten my hydraulic clutch bleed screw and one brake fitting that are also leaking a little.

Other that those things, he said it was a good build and drove great. Once I get these sorted out and signed off, I will consider it 'complete'...at least for now.
    Last edited by JJK; 05-10-2024 at 10:57 AM. Reason: update title on tips for registration
    Mk 4 complete kit w/IRS delivered (mostly) 10-31-22. BPE 347FI w/TXK.

2. Thanks Mbufford thanked for this post
    Likes Legendary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    All things considered I think you did great. The "issues" are minor and fairly easy to fix.
    Congrats!
    Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like this guy had his ultra fine tooth comb out. I've heard some are so enamored with the car they only do a cursory exam.
    My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

Post Thanks / Like
    given the two extremes, I would rather err on side of extra scrutiny just to be safe

Post Thanks / Like
    I tend to agree that teflon tape on brake fittings is not usual. But if Wilwood specifically says to do it, I would do it too. He is being a real pain in the butt regarding the washer stacks. There can be instances where that isn't a good idea but spacing the trans up isn't a problem IMHO. I can see the point on the driveshaft loop however since it could be pushed in any direction if it ever comes into use. Otherwise as Jim says, fix his minor issues and start having a blast.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JJK View Post
    given the two extremes, I would rather err on side of extra scrutiny just to be safe
    Absolutely! For the interested, which DFW shop did you find that has the master tech with all the current certs?
    MKIV Complete Kit # 207585
    Ordered 8/19/2023. Completion date 11/11/23. Delivery date 11/27/23

Build Thread: http://https://thefactoryfiveforum.c...577#post535577

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    There can be instances where that isn't a good idea but spacing the trans up isn't a problem IMHO. I can see the point on the driveshaft loop however since it could be pushed in any direction if it ever comes into use.
    Interestingly, the tech had the opposite perspective. He said that the torque from the engine will put a twisting force on the transmission mount and wanted that to be a solid block instead of a stack of washers. Since the safety loop had no torque on it, he was fine with pipes or bushings there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbufford View Post
    Absolutely! For the interested, which DFW shop did you find that has the master tech with all the current certs?
    I have found several Christian Brothers Automotive around town that may do it, depending on whether they have an ASE master tech with current credentials. I ended up at the one in N Richland Hills.

10. Thanks Mbufford thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    He said that the torque from the engine will put a twisting force on the transmission mount and wanted that to be a solid block instead of a stack of washers.
    Yeah, I'm calling BS on that. Assuming the washers are flat and assuming the bolt is torqued that stack of washers when clamped are a solid piece. He needs to study up on clamping force.

And, that transmission mount adapter is made from two pieces of relatively thin wall 3/4" RHS tube and a sheet metal piece welded between them which the trans mount bolts to. The strongest part or the entire transmission mount is those washers!

This guy is terrified of putting his name on this car. Dollars to donuts you fix everything on his list and he still won't pass it, he'll just come up with more BS excuses.
    Last edited by Mike.Bray; 03-02-2024 at 05:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like he's being a dick - the teflon tape from back in 2005 on my Wilwood NPT fittings is still fine.
    FFR cobra
    RCR Superlite
    RCR 917
    04 Cobra/Z06/Diablo/bunch of other junk

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! I thought CA was a pain in the neck... this guy went over your car with a microscope. My inspection took 10 mins, I remember my guy shining the flashlight on the brakes and asking if they worked most of the time we were just talking about the build journey of the car!
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
    the teflon tape from back in 2005 on my Wilwood NPT fittings is still fine.
    Thanks for this, I am hesitant to modify part of the build in contradiction to the manufacturer's instructions.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm calling BS on this guy with the Teflon tape too. I was using JFZ calipers in the early 80's and always used Teflon tape on my pipe thread fittings as was directed by the owner/founder of the company. As far as I know JFZ was the first to design the rigid mount aftermarket caliper and all the street rod guys were using their polished calipers. I think it was in the late 80's that Wilwood copied their designs and JFZ couldn't keep up. I heard John eventually sold the company and it is no more.

This car is still on the road and still has the original Teflon tape on the brake fittings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update. I ended up making all the changes the first ASE master tech requested, except the brake fittings, which he was adamant about and would not sign off on the safety inspection form. After about 100 more phone calls, I found another shop. They spent 1.5 hours going through the car and had no issues, form finally complete (at least so I thought). I had my appointment with the DMV Monday afternoon to get the authorization letter to take to the tax assessor's office to apply for a title and registration. My VTR-852 Safety Inspection form was incomplete. Instead of simply checking off all the boxes and signing the bottom of the form, the tech was supposed to initial each individual box for all the items he inspected. Got that taken care of Tuesday and went back to the DMV Wednesday where they gave me the authorization letter. But when I reviewed it in the parking lot there were three mistakes. Showing them the Texas assembled vehicle manual, they agree with me and corrected the paperwork on their end. Made it to the tax assessor this morning and they processed the paperwork and gave me a temp tag until the actual plates and title are sent from Austin. In the parking lot I reviewed the paperwork, and again there were two mistakes. It is not a replica of a 1965 Chevy and in Texas it is not a 'street rod', but a 'custom vehicle' as 'street rods' are required in TX to be a replica of a 1948 or prior vehicle. So, back in to the office with my trusty Texas assembled vehicle manual and they corrected things on their end.
    Moral of the story is to take your assembled vehicle manual with you to these appointments because the clerks and their managers (4 people total between the two offices) may know less about how to get these legal than the people who built the car.
    Hopefully Austin will approve all the paperwork, but at least I can legally drive now with my temp tag.
    Last edited by JJK; 05-10-2024 at 11:16 AM.

17. Likes Legendary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great progress. How did they handle the sales tax? Did you pay sales tax on value or cost of parts or what?
    BUDFIVE
    Complete kit order 8/28/2023
    347 Ford Dyno 10/12/2023
    Kit Delivery 11/28/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to pay tax on the total bill of sale from factory five as they did not collect tax and I paid taxes on all other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I appreciate it.
    BUDFIVE
    Complete kit order 8/28/2023
    347 Ford Dyno 10/12/2023
    Kit Delivery 11/28/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info. Tax question for dummies? So let's say you spent $30k on a complete kit from FF and $15 on the engine, and $5K from various vendors. Is the tax office looking through the receipts to totally up any taxes already paid on parts, then bill you for the rest?
    Mk IV, IRS, 302 w/EFI & T5, 15" wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    you are required to show proof of purchase for the body, frame, engine, and transmission. Those are the receipts they went through. I already paid taxes on the engine and transmission, so they based the taxes on the ffr bill of sale.

Post Thanks / Like
    you are required to show proof of purchase for the body, frame, engine, and transmission. Those are the receipts they went through. I already paid taxes on the engine and transmission, so they based the taxes on the ffr bill of sale.
    Thanks
    Mk IV, IRS, 302 w/EFI & T5, 15" wheels