Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Speaker locations.

Post Thanks / Like

Speaker locations.

What have you guys done for speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some people add a stereo, many figure out that the car is too loud to enjoy it. Once you get to your destination the audio system can be enjoyed but a boom-box is more practical.

I found that a source and good ear buds helps by reducing the exhaust and wind noise to a point that the audio can be heard. Cruising on the e-way it's the wind that gets to you.

Sorry to be the buzz-kill.

Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out my build link in signature.... but I'm installing speakers behind the seats in the metal panel below the cab, along with subwoofers and an amp. Head unit in the console below dash and mid range speaker and tweeter in door card (I'll have to fabricate a spacer to pull the speaker out from the door card to allow room for the door window).

Regarding noise, I ran my exhaust out the back and added resonators (again, all in my build link). I also insulated my cab pretty heavy.

Mark
    Mark
    '35 Truck
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...35-Truck-Build
    Brevard, NC

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm taking a somewhat different and minimalist approach. You can pair two sets of Bluetooth earbuds to one smartphone so I am going to go with some good noise cancelling ones and let the co-pilot handle the musical selection duties. I am also installing a "Hideaway" head unit (think standard car stereo deck but with no faceplate/controls). It has a built-in AM/FM tuner that's controlled by the smartphone. Unfortunately it doesn't output audio via Bluetooth, only speakers, so I'm going to need something. I haven't given a huge amount of consideration to the speaker size/placement yet as I figure that I'll only be using them to catch traffic/weather off of the AM/FM or when I'm parked.

Earl
    Last edited by narly1; 05-13-2024 at 09:25 AM.
    1st Speedstar in Canada 31 March 2023.
    Built by me 302 engine, AOD trans, 3.55 IRS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm putting mine in right now so I'll describe what I'm doing with the caveat that I have no clue how successful this will be. I've got a Retro Sound two channel speaker that I'm mounting on the rear cockpit panel center. It's wired to a Bluetooth Kenwood marine amplifier in the trunk. That way I don't have to mess with a deck or anything else on the dash, I can just sync my phone directly to the amp. If I want to upgrade, the amp is 4 channel so I can add two under dash speakers later. I just got the trunk aluminum installed and cut the hole for the speaker this weekend. Once I get everything done I'll update my thread.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_068D41...h-Speaker.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113M50...C-M5024BT.html

Edit: Woops, this is for the hotrod, well in any case, I think retrosound makes a lot of differently shaped speakers that will fit that dash.
    Last edited by nashuanuke; 05-13-2024 at 03:14 PM.
    MKIV Roadster - Complete Kit - Delivery 10/12/23
    Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nashuanuke View Post
    I'll describe what I'm doing with the caveat that I have no clue how successful this will be.
    I can't think of any issues with your set up other than maybe getting your ears blasted out the odd time due to the volume control setting on your device.

Earl

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, my truck has Ford's top of the line Bang & Olfsen stereo with a 500 watt subwoofer. I rarely listen to the stereo and only use the head unit for nav, phone and texting. My wife's Jeep has the top of the line Alpine system with a 500 watt subwoofer and she rarely uses it for the stereo. It's been years since I turned on the radio in my 68 Barracuda.

For my Speedstar I am installing an Android head unit so I can hands free phone/text and use Google maps for navigation. I will put a couple of cheap speakers up under the dash. The main source of my audio will come through my hearing aids that connect with my android devices.

8. Likes narly1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgc333 View Post
    For my Speedstar....
    Your approach sounds very similar to mine except that I'm going to also use my smartphone as my nav unit and back-up camera display.

Earl

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a pioneer stereo installed with some cheap speakers behind the seats for now. Buying a taramps 4 channel amp, which is only 5”x5”x3”. Putting a 8” skar sub behind passenger seat. Was planning for 3.5” infinity speakers for the doors, and another pair in the Sheetmetal in both back corners(the ones wrapping rollbars and below seatbelts). Hope it works out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Right below my cup holders.image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not started on the interior of my truck yet, but having come from the Side x Side community in the desert of AZ, many guys were running roll bar mounted sound systems controlled via bluetooth and would blast over the noise of side x sides screaming through the sand dunes. I'm not advocating for any one brand over another, there are simply too many to choose from. But, I think this is the way I am going.
    sound bar.jpg
    Last edited by Guardm16; 05-30-2024 at 03:11 PM.