Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Intro plus question

Post Thanks / Like

Intro plus question

Hey everyone,

I live in Spokane, WA. I ordered the 35 kit a few weeks ago and have started prepping while waiting. So far, I have a 6.0 iron block LS that was built for boost but I'm going to start NA. I found a 2005 rear end at the junk yard that I plan on cleaning up. I want to go with the Tremec TKX, which I have yet to order. Currently debating wheels and that's where my question lies. I think I was to go with a staggered set up, anyone have experience with a 18x10 rear and 18x7 front?

image0.jpeg
    image1.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    You're biggest concern will be fitment under the fenders.... that is if you ordered them?

Mark
    Mark
    '35 Truck
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...35-Truck-Build
    Brevard, NC

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Chris!

I was just in your shoes, trying to figure out what would fit and what I wanted. Two of the guys I spoke with each did 19's in the front and 20's in the back. There is a post on here where the guy went with 18x10s all around, but you're asking about staggering so I'm not sure how much help that is.
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-size-question

I was going to go staggered but ended up finding a great deal on Facebook marketplace for some 19x8.5 wheels and tires that I really liked. I'm happy with them so far. I also have a rear end that I pulled and cleaned up. Boy was that fun!
    Matthew and Noah
    '35 Hot Rod Truck - 5.0L 302
    Wake Forest, NC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mkassab View Post
    You're biggest concern will be fitment under the fenders.... that is if you ordered them?

Mark
    Sorry, no fenders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Motor is pretty much ready, injectors are on their way. Currently in the process of cleaning up the rear end and then will POR15. Still can't decide on wheels, I want them to have a nice lip to them, trying to figure out offset and backspacing. I was thinking I may go with the same size all around so i can rotate tires.

FFR 35 Engine.jpg
    FFR 35 Rear End.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I suggest you study Paul B.'s truck build thread for a master class on how to do it. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...od-Truck-Build Pretty much any question you have is addressed in there.

Have fun with the build!

Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm about halfway through his build, thanks! I got the rear end looking better today.
    POR15 rear 2.jpgPOR15 rear end.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    What did you pull your rearend from?

I don't remember spring perches on mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FatherAndSon View Post
    Welcome Chris!

I was just in your shoes, trying to figure out what would fit and what I wanted. Two of the guys I spoke with each did 19's in the front and 20's in the back. There is a post on here where the guy went with 18x10s all around, but you're asking about staggering so I'm not sure how much help that is.
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-size-question

I was going to go staggered but ended up finding a great deal on Facebook marketplace for some 19x8.5 wheels and tires that I really liked. I'm happy with them so far. I also have a rear end that I pulled and cleaned up. Boy was that fun!
    There are a lot of people who go both ways. stagger and all square, there are advantages to both. For me, I went with the square, I just like the look and being able to rotate the tires is never a bad thing.
    Roller 1.jpg
    grill.jpg

10. Likes FatherAndSon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RuffShod View Post
    What did you pull your rearend from?

I pulled mine from a 2006 GT and it had them.
    20231104_132528.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffshod View Post
    what did you pull your rearend from?

2005 gt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardm16 View Post
    There are a lot of people who go both ways. stagger and all square, there are advantages to both. For me, I went with the square, I just like the look and being able to rotate the tires is never a bad thing.
    Roller 1.jpg
    grill.jpg
    I think I'm going to go square. Now I gotta figure out what offset and backspacing to have a lip on the rim and still clear everything. I've read articles on it and still find myself scratching my head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
    I think I'm going to go square. Now I gotta figure out what offset and backspacing to have a lip on the rim and still clear everything. I've read articles on it and still find myself scratching my head.
    OK, this where I wish I had done a little more research. I admit, I got a great deal from American Muscle on the 18x10 rims that fit a 2009 Mustang GT. At $110 a rim I couldn't pass. On that point once mounted on the Moser Rear end with the Wilwood brakes, the rear wheels were only about 3/4 of an inch from the upper mounting point for the truck bed side. Obviously too close, I will find a spacer once the bed is on so that I can get the proper stance. As for the front, I think this offset really was made for the rear of the mustang, once installed, the front just looked too narrow and the steering was limited by the rims contacting the control arms. I added a 2 inch spacer behind the wheel and solved both problems. That being said, I think if I were to do it all over again, I would buy a rim with a "Negative 2" offset (moves the centerline of the rim farther outward) from what I purchased. But, I wanted the look of a flush rim (no dish) and, as I said, they were a great deal. Hope this helped.

Wheels.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=what...TJe8HFnTc,st:0
    Last edited by Guardm16; 05-30-2024 at 03:20 PM.

15. Thanks Chris H. thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know if the kit comes with a shift lever? I specified I'm using a TKX trans when ordered.

Post Thanks / Like
    My kit came with the shift leaver and knob. I think it depends on what options you ordered

Mark
    Mark
    '35 Truck
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...35-Truck-Build
    Brevard, NC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
    Does anyone know if the kit comes with a shift lever? I specified I'm using a TKX trans when ordered.
    Mine did not.

383/700R4

I ended up buying a B&M Pro Gate

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RuffShod View Post
    Mine did not.

383/700R4

I ended up buying a B&M Pro Gate
    Not to hijack this thread, but how did you attach the B&M? to the tunnel or to the transmission itself? you can PM me.