Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Power steering leak

Post Thanks / Like

Power steering leak

Power steering rack appears to have a leak under the driver side link boot. New unit from FFR only 500 miles. Anyone else experience this problem. What is the fix?

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately the fix is another rack.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    My rack failed after 5 miles. FFR was very good about sending me a replacement. It is a bummer to have to replace it, but that is the fix. There are better quality racks out there.

James
    Mk4 Roadster #9974 - Picked Up 1/2021. Complete kit, Gen 2 Ford Coyote / TKX, IRS. Completed 9/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    What would be a better replace,ent rack ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen forum members recommend UniSteer and BBB Industries as good alternatives. I don’t have any experience with anything outside of the FFR rack, but that is the route I would go if mine fails again.

James
    Mk4 Roadster #9974 - Picked Up 1/2021. Complete kit, Gen 2 Ford Coyote / TKX, IRS. Completed 9/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    Although some cringe at the mention of rebuilt racks from Autozone I’ve used them on 8-10 builds and never had a problem. Can’t argue with success.

Jeff

7. Likes Lidodrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have recent experience replacing the rack. In my own case, I wanted a less aggressive steering ratio. Not everybody wants this, but I did. BBB (from O'Reillys) has good quality, but although they list different part numbers for different ratio racks...that doesn't mean you'll get what you order. After a few calls to BBB in Alabama, they confirmed this. (That they just ship you something that fits and it MAY or MAY NOT be the ratio specified by the part number.) The quick ratio is more common, if you want that odds are that you'll get it since it's so common. (Only the 4 cylinder Mustangs had the slower ratio. UniSteer is more expensive for the same exact rack but they WILL send you the correct rack whether fast or slow ratio. If you go with Unisteer, it's cheaper to order it thru Summit and more expensive if you buy it directly from Unisteer. But after literally a MONTH of trying to get the slower rack thru three different auto parts chains, I paid about $175 extra but got what I wanted on the first try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Although some cringe at the mention of rebuilt racks from Autozone I’ve used them on 8-10 builds and never had a problem. Can’t argue with success.

Jeff
    You don't happen to have a part number do you?!
    MK4 #11012 picked up 04/16/24
    351W, 3 link, single roll bar
    MK4 #10616 picked up 4/10/23
    302w, 4 link, 17's, dual roll bar SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars SOLD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgybulin View Post
    You don't happen to have a part number do you?!
    Not in front of me but you can find it for yourself by simply looking it up for a Fox Mustang.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR agreed to replace my PS rack. They are currently out of stock. Should I wait for possibly another defective rack or purchase one. If I did purchase a new rack where would I but it and what rack do I purchase