BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Tie rod and steering rack question

Post Thanks / Like

Tie rod and steering rack question

I bought a partially completed kit and I am rechecking/redoing the work. It was purchased as a complete kit. After checking the suspension I decide to do a quick home alignment and I noticed my tie rod ends do not have locking nuts. So I want to source new ones but have not been able to figure out what vehicle they came from. Anyone know?

Also, the steering rack does not seem to have the same adjustable arms (flat spot for a wrench) that I am used to for adjusting the toe. Any thoughts on this would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a custom rack and doubt you'll find a match to any other vehicle. I don't know the thread size off hand. But should be relatively easy to determine. Have you asked Factory Five? If the tie rod ends don't have flats, you're left with using vice-grips or something similar. I don't like marking them up. But you really don't have a choice.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can get the flat spot you’re looking for if you use one of the aftermarket bumpsteer kits.. I bought one from Kootenaivalleycustoms.. otherwise yes, youll be using grips.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you both!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just use the vice grips in the same spot each time and it'll look like it was a splined grip area made that way... lol

6. Likes RoadRacer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
    Just use the vice grips in the same spot each time and it'll look like it was a splined grip area made that way... lol
    love that - you're a "glass is half full" guy!
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

8. Likes Just 1 More liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tie rod threads

Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    That's a custom rack and doubt you'll find a match to any other vehicle. I don't know the thread size off hand. But should be relatively easy to determine. Have you asked Factory Five? If the tie rod ends don't have flats, you're left with using vice-grips or something similar. I don't like marking them up. But you really don't have a choice.
    The tie rod threads are M14x1.5 in case anyone else searches this forum looking for it. I plan to put 2 nuts on and adjust that way.