BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20

Thread: LS Engine and transmission?

Post Thanks / Like

LS Engine and transmission?

For those who have installed an LS engine, what was your transmission of choice? What bell housing was required and where did the driveshaft come from? It doesn't look like FFR offers any driveshafts specifically with an LS involved. I have a nice old aluminum LS4 that I am thinking of using but I don't know much about manual transmission options. I plan on ordering a kit early next week and have not 100% decided on how to power it yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy B View Post
    For those who have installed an LS engine, what was your transmission of choice? What bell housing was required and where did the driveshaft come from? It doesn't look like FFR offers any driveshafts specifically with an LS involved. I have a nice old aluminum LS4 that I am thinking of using but I don't know much about manual transmission options. I plan on ordering a kit early next week and have not 100% decided on how to power it yet.
    Oh this thread is going to make Steve's (Godadgo) day. I am sure he will respond with some very helpful information as he is always encouraging people to go to "the dark side" as he calls it and install an LS in their cobra. You came to the right place for advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a Quicktime bellhousing to mate a TKX to my LS3 in an IRS roadster. The T56 is possible and has been done.

You can use the 10.5" driveshaft (FFR p/n 60175) with the LS/TKX/IRS setup - I'm not sure about the T56. I believe it's the same driveshaft FFR specs for the Coyote drivetrain.

I think the LS is a perfect engine for the MKIV.
    Last edited by OB6; 05-14-2024 at 08:34 AM.

4. Likes Its Bruce liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with all this ^.
    MK4, 427LS3, IRS, T56 Magnum, Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OB6 View Post
    I think the LS is a perfect engine for the MKIV.
    Very true!
    My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I used the Blueprint GM427LS engine package with a T56 magnum transmission for my coupe build. FFR made sure I had the correct driveshaft for that to work. Perhaps contact FFR and make sure they know what your plans are.
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand.
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering. Album Here

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn’t use the LS4. You’re sure that’s it? They were front wheel drive modified engines with all sorts of unique issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are right, it is not the LS4. It is a 2009 Aluminum block LS from a suburban I believe.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Fellow Dark Sider!

The cool thing about building one of these cars is you will be building your dream.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-14-2024 at 07:34 PM.

11. Likes BRRT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can confirm the PN for the driveshaft. As stated above the PN from FFR is 60175 (which is also the PN for the coyote). When you order your kit, talk to them to confirm. They will also give you a call to go over the options you have selected to make sure everything is right.
    I went with a TKX transmission with quicktime bell housing. I ordered these from Forte and spoke with him on the phone to get everything sorted out prior to ordering from him. Mike is a wealth of information and can point you in the right direction.

I too am a "Dark Sider" and putting an LS into my roadster. Probably in the next couple of months or so I'll be dropping the powertrain in.
    Kit delivery (3/17/2024)
    FFR Mark IV Roadster (Ordered 11/9/2023)
    408 LS Stroker Powerplant Ready To Rock (link below of the first start)

https://youtube.com/shorts/dH36tij3HK0?feature=share

Post Thanks / Like
    While I chose to build a 302 SBF based 347 for my roadster, I am a big LS fan. I built a high performance 6.0 L for a friend’s 3/4 ton truck last summer. If it was in a 2009 Suburban and an aluminum block, your LS is a Gen IV LS (not LS4) and likely one of the 5.3 L variants (LY5, LC9, LMG) found in 1/2 tons. If you build one without cylinder de-activation (AFM?) they are bulletproof, lightweight motors. Here’s a link to the great wiki page on LS motors, you can tell which one from the engine code in the VIN.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...l-block_engine

I look forward to watching your build.
    BUDFIVE
    Complete kit order 8/28/2023
    347 Ford Dyno 10/12/2023
    Kit Delivery 11/28/2023

14. Likes BRRT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    LS3 and Tremec TKX transmission with IRS. FFR driveshaft fits great!
    Mike Forte provided a Lakewood aluminum bellhousing with the TKX, along with a Ram clutch and flywheel.

The only real problem I ran into was sourcing the Corvette oil pan (2005-2013). They are on national backorder.

The LS engine is extremely close dimensionally to the Ford 302 (8.2" deck height Windsor).

Driveshaft:

Engine in chassis:
    Last edited by BRRT; 05-15-2024 at 07:49 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------

Jeff
    Roadster delivered 8/27/23
    Chevrolet Performance LS3
    Build Thread

16. Likes ProfessorB, Jimmy B liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BRRT View Post

The only real problem I ran into was sourcing the Corvette oil pan (2005-2013). They are on national backorder.
    Parts Geek may be able to assist you fellows with the C-6 oil pan.

https://www.partsgeek.com/sxhmbx7-ch...hoCo3AQAvD_BwE

I've ordered from them when I couldn't find stuff for my (Now Sold) beloved 1995 C-4.

18. Likes BRRT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    eBay is your friend, clones of everything, especially oil pans, have gotten perfect.

20. Likes BRRT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW, an LS3 in a Roadster! I have one in my C6 corvette and it screams. Power/weight ratio is great-aluminum block and heads 6.2L.
    BUDFIVE
    Complete kit order 8/28/2023
    347 Ford Dyno 10/12/2023
    Kit Delivery 11/28/2023

22. Likes BRRT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are right, it is not the LS4. It is a 2009 Aluminum block LS from a suburban I believe.
    If it is from a truck, it should have the longest water pump snout and harmonic balancer. This will enable you to keep the alternator and power steering pump pulled in tight to the side, away from the steering shaft.
    My engine was supplied with the short Corvette water pump and balancer. This forces the alternator and power steering pump outboard of the block & heads. By switching the balancer to the LS1 Camaro unit (mid-length) and putting spacers behind the water pump, the ICT Billet bracket kit kept everything in tight.

Here's a pic of the test fit. The PS pump pulley hasn't been installed yet. The pulley clears the steering shaft by a little over an inch:

The ICT Billet brackets were a pleasant surprise - nicely finished, perfect fit, and reasonably priced.

Jeff
    Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The LS also fits nicely in the '33 Hot Rod. This one was straight out of a 2005 GC Yukon 5.3 Gen 3. Intake is tall, but still fit after some trimming of excessive plastic, but aftermarket intakes are much lower.

Image - 2023-08-21T204312.797.jpegImage - 2023-08-15T121727.814.jpegImage - 2023-11-05T091107.961.jpegImage - 2024-04-28T154332.628.jpeg

25. Likes BRRT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DanQ View Post
    The LS also fits nicely in the '33 Hot Rod. This one was straight out of a 2005 GC Yukon 5.3 Gen 3. Intake is tall, but still fit after some trimming of excessive plastic, but aftermarket intakes are much lower.

Image - 2023-08-21T204312.797.jpegImage - 2023-08-15T121727.814.jpegImage - 2023-11-05T091107.961.jpegImage - 2024-04-28T154332.628.jpeg
    Oh the humanity! You can't put a Chevy engine in a 33 Ford street rod! Whoever heard of such a thing! Chevy engines in old Fords, SMH.
    Last edited by Mike.Bray; 05-16-2024 at 12:43 PM.

27. Likes BRRT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement. LS motor it is!

29. Likes BRRT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The LS3 is nice and compact so it fits without a shoehorn. All aluminum so lightweight. Relatively inexpensive and extremely reliable. A cam change boosts the already stout power by 75-100HP. What's not to love about the LS3?

And don't let anyone tell you different, there's nothing wrong with putting a Chevy engine in a replica of a British sports car.

31. Likes lewma, BRRT, ProfessorB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind, this will be a little different. There will be some things that you will need to deal with that the small block Ford builder doesn't have to.
    The kit and wiring harness was designed around a 302 Ford motor.

Jeff
    Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind, this will be a little different. There will be some things that you will need to deal with that the small block Ford builder doesn't have to.
    The kit and wiring harness was designed around a 302 Ford motor.
    Good point. Placed my order yesterday. No turning back now. It will be LS powered. I will just have to figure it out.

34. Likes Mike.Bray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good point. Placed my order yesterday. No turning back now. It will be LS powered. I will just have to figure it out.
    Good choice. While FFR doesn't support the LS to the extent of the Coyote and SBF, the available information and support elsewhere more than makes up for it. It's pretty straightforward. The engine harness is fairly isolated from the chassis harness... just a couple things to integrate. And the LS cooling system is different, but nothing you won't easily figure out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on your order!!!

Jeff
    Build Thread

37. Likes Jimmy B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on your order!!!
    Thanks. FFR says it will ready to go on June 29th. Stewart has not gotten back to me yet.

39. Likes Mike.Bray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got in contact with Fortes. Ordered up a Lakewood aluminum bell housing which was a little cheaper than the steel ones, the close ratio TKX Tremec and somehow got talked into a hydraulic clutch....not sure how that happened but...what the heck. Getting the clutch, flywheel and everything from Fortes. I am told the Forte hydraulic stuff will all be plug and play and will work fine even though I placed my FFR order with the plain cable clutch option. We will see. Oh, and on a side note, picked up the required Corvette LS oil pan on EBay for $140. It is thick, nicely finished and very well made.

41. Likes BRRT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Bray View Post
    The LS3 is nice and compact so it fits without a shoehorn. All aluminum so lightweight. Relatively inexpensive and extremely reliable. A cam change boosts the already stout power by 75-100HP. What's not to love about the LS3?

And don't let anyone tell you different, there's nothing wrong with putting a Chevy engine in a replica of a British sports car.
    I have done worse, I already built the low rider T-bucket Sinister Sally in my avatar with a .......383 Chevy Stroker in it!! The humanity!!! Chevy in a Ford? Yep

43. Likes BRRT, Mike.Bray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got in contact with Fortes. Ordered up a Lakewood aluminum bell housing which was a little cheaper than the steel ones, the close ratio TKX Tremec and somehow got talked into a hydraulic clutch....not sure how that happened but...what the heck. Getting the clutch, flywheel and everything from Fortes. I am told the Forte hydraulic stuff will all be plug and play and will work fine even though I placed my FFR order with the plain cable clutch option. We will see. Oh, and on a side note, picked up the required Corvette LS oil pan on EBay for $140. It is thick, nicely finished and very well made.
    I'm surprised Mike didn't also talk you into a steel bellhousing, as he's a big proponent of them -- for all the right reasons.