Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Stainless side pipe tarnish

Post Thanks / Like

Stainless side pipe tarnish

The stainless side pipes were again starting to show some tarnish and heat discoloration. I've used that "Compound 302" a couple times over the last 6 years, and it really works great. But, that stuff is nasty stuff, and to be honest, worries me a little. Today I tried Wizards Metal Polish ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ).

The Wizards Metal Renew Polish did a good job. Not perfect, but good. It didn't take away 100% of the stains, but darn close. It also takes a bit of elbow grease as well. The staining I had wasn't too awful, so it was doable. With severe tarnish, it may be a little tougher. I worked in small areas, 6 or 8 inches at a time. I only needed to do from the flange to the muffler. It's a lot more friendly that the '302'.

If the pipes stay nice for a while, and don't start to stain up right away, I think I may throw away that '302' and stay with Wizards.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by boat737; 05-14-2024 at 11:04 AM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

2. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    They look great and I agree that 302 stuff works well but raises concern. Keep it away from steel tools, etc......it will rust them.

After a couple of rounds of the 302 I went with a shinny ceramic coating from Jet Hot. Pipes look great and will never tarnish again.
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Like you my pipes are looking shabby and I've been using Mothers Mag Wheel Polish and a lot of elbow grease.
    I'm now out of that product so I'll order the polish that you are recommending.
    Thanks-O-Million!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FLPBFoot View Post
    They look great and I agree that 302 stuff works well but raises concern. Keep it away from steel tools, etc......it will rust them.
    Oh yes. I should have mentioned that. I left the 302, in its original tub, on a shelf, and after a few months I noticed everything steel (or ferris) within a foot or two was severely rusting. I'll say it again, that stuff is nasty. (but it does work.)
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Gas-N sent me a small container of polish, it was yellow and in a small container. I think it was just a chemical and not a polish per se. Does anyone know what that polish was or if it's available anywhere?
    Last edited by Brian Linn; 05-19-2024 at 08:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know that the 'Compound 302' is yellow. But it comes in a pretty big container, like a pint or two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Been using this twice a year for the past 10 years. Still have some left in the original bottle.

Wipe it on & wipe it off.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
    Wipe it on & wipe it off.
    No rubbing??

302 is great for removing tarnish and bluing, but pretty custic. It will clean them well, but I always use a metal-polish, post-302, to restore the shine. (I keep it in a sealed tub, inside a zip-loc baggy.) Also removes welding bluing!! I used it on my welded SS roll-bars, worked great.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone ever try this? Says "it is non toxic" and the example photos look good.
    https://www.pipars.com/weld-cleaner/

Post Thanks / Like
    post-302, to restore the shine. (I keep it in a sealed tub, inside a zip-loc baggy, outside, under a rock, in the neighbors yard.)
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Compound 302 / Rich's comments, not sure which is more caustic
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, not sure what's up with you, but Mark & I are good friends. I've spent many hrs helping work on his car, traveling to events and driving trips, so he knows my sense of humor, and I'm sure he gets it. You don't seem to have any humor.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I get Rich's humor. It's an acquired taste and I'm a glutton for punishment.

The Organic Weld Cleaner looks like good stuff, UNFORTUNATELY: Tehran, IRAN !!?? I don't think so! They won't get one cent of my money.
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Plain old rubbing compound with a small buffing wheel on an electric drill works like a champ. Takes off all the nasty's that get baked onto the pipes.
    FFR 9883 MKIV ,427 Windsor engine
    TKX 5 speed, Three Link 3.55 gears
    Power Steering, Leather Seats
    18" Wheels and Tires, Drop Trunk
    Fun Package

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    I get Rich's humor. It's an acquired taste and I'm a glutton for punishment.

I'll jump in here with Mark Rich and I have been friends for the better part of 2 decades and I get him...he doesn't sugar coat his opinions, is often sarcastic and doesn't suffer fools gladly BUT once you peel away the crust you won't find a better friend or a smarter guy and there are few who know these cars better. After I did the body & paint on his most recent build I had him come stay with me to work together on the final assembly. He is the ONLY owner I have ever invited to do that. We talk frequently and I'll often get a call or text saying "I wrote a reply to {{{such and such post}}} but I deleted it. I'm really trying to do better"

It's OK Rich, just keep being you!

Jeff

17. Thanks Nigel Allen thanked for this post
    Likes MPTech liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use an old product called Flitz. Don't have to rub very hard and it takes the yellow right off. Simply use a clean micro fiber on the Gas-N pipes. Still look new.
    Built FFR9457. 351 Windsor, TKO600, 3.73. Fitech EFI. Russ Thompson throttle pedal, turn signal, and trunk pan. Carbon Fiber dash with Speedhut Revolution gauges. Paint by Jeff Kleiner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff & Mark. I been curled up in a fetal ball all morning with "nobody loves everybody hates me, I'm gonna eat a worm" constantly in my head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    No rubbing??

302 is great for removing tarnish and bluing, but pretty custic. It will clean them well, but I always use a metal-polish, post-302, to restore the shine. (I keep it in a sealed tub, inside a zip-loc baggy.) Also removes welding bluing!! I used it on my welded SS roll-bars, worked great.
    I use two micro towels. One to put it on let it sit for a few minutes then wipe it off & buff it up with the other one. No hard rubbing pretty much like putting car polish on.

Mid summer & during regular winter grease service & fluid change. Car is used all year round but more in the summer.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 05-21-2024 at 01:03 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    Thanks Jeff & Mark. I been curled up in a fetal ball all morning with "nobody loves everybody hates me, I'm gonna eat a worm" constantly in my head.
    Okay guys, it was purely meant to be humourous, hence smiley emoticon. Re reading it, I can see I could have written it better ( or probably best not at all).

Rich, please accept my sincere apology, no offence was intended by me to you.

As for a sense of humour, maybe my Aussie banter just didn't translate too well.

I will tone it down.

Cheers

Nigel
    Last edited by Nigel Allen; 05-21-2024 at 04:51 PM.
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    All Good Nigel! We're just Crotchity Old Men with a common interest. And we enjoy ribbing each other a bit too.

23. Thanks Nigel Allen thanked for this post
    Likes Nigel Allen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nigel, no problem, I guess I could have paid more attention to the emoji TOO. I should've just relaxed. Sorry I misunderstood your sense of humor, I can see that we both sometimes don't understand each others meanings.

Crotchity Old Men, what are you talking about, my body might be old, but my mind---oh look a squirrel--- what where we talking about???
    Last edited by rich grsc; 05-21-2024 at 05:37 PM.

25. Thanks Nigel Allen thanked for this post
    Likes MPTech liked this post