Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: rollbar help

Post Thanks / Like

rollbar help

I have a MKIII where the original builder shortened the rollbar and had the rear mounts rewelded in to accommodate the new fit.
    The issue I have, is while it looks good, if I want to take the car to a track day I don't believe anyone will pass this shortened rollbar.
    Looking for any suggestions on options to get a working solution, that doesn't include me having to cut new holes in the bodywork.
    If I just order a new rollbar I think I'd have to cut new access holes in the bodywork, plus come up with new mounts for the rollbar posts.
    Thought you all might have some good ideas.cob2.jpgcob1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    that's a tough one. on a finished car, you would need to open the hole for the rear leg and reweld the mount for this.
    any way to get the seat lower so your helmet would clear the broomstick test? not sure if it's on seat mounts or sliders that might buy you some extra room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lowering the seat is the easiest solution if that is sufficient.
    Trying to think "out-of-the-box". Not the most visually appealing option... but you could take a new rollbar set and weld a tube where the back tube would contact the higher bar. So the new rollbar would be in an "A" shape rather than an inverted "U" shape. If the point of intersection is very high in the "A", a plate could be used rather than a tube. The end result would be unique but you could avoid changes to the body. Perhaps even keep your existing set and swap inverted "U" for the "A" during track days? A second option would be to just weld another curved piece on top (blended with the existing top) to extend it to the necessary height.
    MkII: 408 Dart block dry sump, 750cfm carb, G-Force T-5, 8.8 rear with 3.55 gears, 3-link, Kirkey seats, black ceramic coated twister mufflers with shields and adjustable turn down tips, passenger roll bar, front and rear roll bars. 2020 GT500 Magnetic metallic, with white and lime green stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the hole in the body didn't have to be opened up too much you could design a custom trim ring and have it 3D printed for about $30. Don't ask my how I know about this.
    My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

Post Thanks / Like
    You will need to check the details of required rollbar construction of whatever organization you will be running with. One thought I have is that the MkIV bars are smaller diameter tubes. So perhaps the main hoop of MkIII diameter but the support tube of the smaller diameter would allow you to fit the support tube w/o cutting the body. Also where the support fits to the hoop can be fudged some. As I remember it the MkIII tube fit over the stub on the frame but the MkIV fit inside the stub. As Mike says, a custom bezel isn't a big deal once you get the tube fit.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    As Craig indicated, depends on the group. I got shut down by one group and had a tall full width rollbar. All other groups let me pass; SVT Mustang, Olthoff Racing, Porsche, AutoInterest, 3 Balls and others.

At the same time, you need to make the assessment of what works for you and makes you safe. Track rules may pass you, but will their regulations actually protect you?

In all the times that I've been on or watching track events I haven't seen a Cobra upside down. Certainly, doesn't mean it won't happen. I've had many off-track experiences (agricultural work) and never felt like it was going over, but again doesn't mean it won't or can't happen.

Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.