Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: I hate suspension noises

Post Thanks / Like

I hate suspension noises

Hello all- Looking for some suggestions as I am chasing down a right rear suspension noise in my recently completed Gen 3 Coupe with IRS and Koni double adjustable shocks. The noise is best described as a "clank" heard when going over uneven or rough roads. Can't really pinpoint which component it is coming from. Things we have tried to date:
    -Double checked all rear nuts and bolts for correct torque values
    -re-greased all fittings, sprayed all pivot points with lube
    -removed both shocks and reassembled
    -Removed right upper control arm and inspected bushings
    -tried loosening all bolts on toe link, upper and lower control arms (frame and spindle attachment points) while the car at full droop, then lowering the car on the ground and then re-torqued the bolts while the suspension is under the load of the car
    -checked all wire harnesses/fuel lines ect for security
    -car has been aligned and all jam nuts secure

The only other thing we have noticed is the toe arms (which can be twisted slightly due to pivot points) is quiet on the left side, however on the right side the threaded rod insert does hit the frame when the toe arm is twisted counter clockwise (not so clockwise). Not sure how much the toe arms actually move when the car is in motion on an uneven surface, but my next step is the remove it and inspect the threaded insert.

We are out of ideas, if anyone has any thoughts/suggestions please let us know!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if it’s helpful but when I’ve had clanking noises in the suspension on my DD, it was due to bad bushings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out rsnakes videos or search. I think he replaced the links with some expensive members.