Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Brake pressure gauges

Post Thanks / Like

Brake pressure gauges

I’ve been wanting to install some brake pressure gauges in my dash for a while.

Eg https://a.co/d/cCMuH17

Why? Because it seems the best way to monitor brake performance, and front/rear bias in a data-driven way.

I’m trying to get my head around the best way to fit these into the braking system. I initially thought I’d ideally measure pressure near the calipers and put a t-fitting in the line.. but wouldn’t the pressure be equal even at the MC? Regardless of where any air was present.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas let me know.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    It is common to measure the pressure at the master cylinder for front/rear when brake bias is controlled at the master cylinder adjustment. It would kind of fall apart if you adjusted bias with a proportional valve, then you would need to measure down stream of the valve. Not sure there would be any gain to measure at the wheel, besides since those require the brake fluid to be plumbed all the way back to the dash, introduce a lot of connections in the system and places to fail. An electronic sensor plugged into each wheel would be better, but not sure what you would do with that unless you measured other wheel parameters to make a determination of the value of that pressure at each wheel. I think even placing a sensor at the master cylinder, using electrical instead of pluming the gauge would be better.
    MK IV Delivered June 27, 2023 Build Thread-https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?46069-Lance-s-Roadster-Build-Thread-Starting-the-Al-panel-slog

"Build a Car" They Said "It Will Be Fun "

3. Likes RoadRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    These work pretty good for set up information, I have a set that I use to baseline settings and you can replicate in the shop for each wheel pressure after making adjustments or changing brake parts., not real time of course, but valuable.

https://www.amazon.com/IPA-Tools-Inn...2-63e904010ad0
    MK IV Delivered June 27, 2023 Build Thread-https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?46069-Lance-s-Roadster-Build-Thread-Starting-the-Al-panel-slog

"Build a Car" They Said "It Will Be Fun "

5. Thanks RoadRacer thanked for this post
    Likes RoadRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    … I initially thought I’d ideally measure pressure near the calipers and put a t-fitting in the line.. but wouldn’t the pressure be equal even at the MC?…
    Yes. That’s Pascal’s Law which concludes that pressure in a closed system is equal throughout. So if you measure at the RF caliper or the LF caliper or the master or anywhere along the lines it will be the same.

Jeff

7. Thanks RoadRacer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by F500guy View Post
    These work pretty good for set up information, I have a set that I use to baseline settings and you can replicate in the shop for each wheel pressure after making adjustments or changing brake parts., not real time of course, but valuable.

https://www.amazon.com/IPA-Tools-Inn...2-63e904010ad0
    Yeah I have a similar setup gauge that I used to diagnose an issue. Thanks
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Yes. That’s Pascal’s Law which concludes that pressure in a closed system is equal throughout. So if you measure at the RF caliper or the LF caliper or the master or anywhere along the lines it will be the same.

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff, I kinda knew it but always good to bounce ideas around! I’ll plumb straight out of the MC and have them in the dash, I’m always thinking about the brakes in this car.. probably because I’ve had a few MC seals start leaking which is so hard to quantify. Plus another fun experiment
    James