Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Exterior fuel filler.. looking for info

Post Thanks / Like

Exterior fuel filler.. looking for info

Exterior fuel filler, who has done one? I know I've seen some pics of one someone did. I'm looking for advice before I attempt it. There's not much flat space to put one and wonder if anyone had measurements between the trunk and top or whatever info you can provide. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

External Fuel Filler Door

I used a part from Hagan: https://www.haganauto.com/product_p/fd90ovf.htm There are a variety of styles available from Summit, Speedway, etc. I got as far as mounting the housing on the body and working out the fill tube - still working on the door, but it's on the back burner for now. Be aware that this approach probably won't work with the Boyd or stock fuel tank. With one of those, I have only seen Hot Rods with something mounted in the top deck, behind the hardtop. The problem is the fill tube. I worked out the bends and length using a small diameter pool noodle and then went to the local parts store to find an OEM hose that could be adapted.

Keith HR #894

DSCN1349.jpg

3. Likes TxMike64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is how I did it. This is a gen 1 w/ Boyds tank. The filler hose is routed right under the triangle section of frame and makes two 90 degree bends to make it into the inlet of the tank. Needless to say it makes it kind of a pain at the gas station because you have to fill it slowly. The problem is unless you modify the tank inlet location/direction there is very few options on placing an external filler. There isn't really any flat space on the side of the fender up high so the other option is the deck area behind the hard top.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Likes TxMike64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sread View Post
    Here is how I did it. This is a gen 1 w/ Boyds tank. The filler hose is routed right under the triangle section of frame and makes two 90 degree bends to make it into the inlet of the tank. Needless to say it makes it kind of a pain at the gas station because you have to fill it slowly. The problem is unless you modify the tank inlet location/direction there is very few options on placing an external filler. There isn't really any flat space on the side of the fender up high so the other option is the deck area behind the hard top.
    My plan is something like this, but using a boat or daytona flip type filler cap.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread