BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Window Seal Question

Post Thanks / Like

Window Seal Question

So got car home last weekend and then took day off to recoup from trip and party. This weekend I'll be going more in depth with looking it over. First impression is love the car and the attention to detail! Few things that did stand out I'll start addressing first then work my way onto the next cause OCD right?!? The driver and passenger window seal. I'd gather the seals used were supplied by F5 but I can see there are gaps between the glass when rolled up.

I'd like to replace those with new seals for a better fit. I looked at my C7 and was like huh wonder if I bought the same seals if I could get better seal and have an edge for the window to slide up into. So having had that idea has anyone used a particular seal that fits and gives better sealing on the edge of the glass? Also down where the door closes and meets the bottom edge of the where the hood and glass meets there's couple different pieces in there, any better options for those spots?

The trim under the front hood I located that will slide on the edge in there and has a top bulb attached. The Engine hood I also figured out a slightly better seal.

Appreciate any feedback and hopefully y'all will indulge the questions as I move thru the car and try to upgrade items.

Post Thanks / Like
    The door window seals have always been a challenge. We build custom-fit channel for every GTM we build here to give the windows better seal and better function.....not something that you can just install on a finished car as it involves a ton of time and bodywork to get everything to fit. Other than that, you're never going to find a good solution on these cars due to a few reasons:

1. The window glass shape/curvature does not match the shape of the flange on the body and door.

2. Even if it did, for the glass to seal against a bulb seal when you close the door, you'd have to have a bunch of pressure on the window pushing against the seal. Attempting to create this pressure is only going to force the window to tip outward at the top.....and even if you could miraculously get it to sit evenly on the entire seal, it would be under so much pressure that the window motor would not have enough power to roll the window up and down....and if you rolled the window down and then rolled it back up, the top edge of the window would simply tear the seal off the body.

3. The way that the window regulator is attached to the door, the pressure required to hold the window tight against the seal would just deform/warp the regulator.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

3. Thanks rolfer thanked for this post
    Likes GTM_Vet, rolfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    The door window seals have always been a challenge. We build custom-fit channel for every GTM we build here to give the windows better seal and better function.....not something that you can just install on a finished car as it involves a ton of time and bodywork to get everything to fit. Other than that, you're never going to find a good solution on these cars due to a few reasons:

1. The window glass shape/curvature does not match the shape of the flange on the body and door.

2. Even if it did, for the glass to seal against a bulb seal when you close the door, you'd have to have a bunch of pressure on the window pushing against the seal. Attempting to create this pressure is only going to force the window to tip outward at the top.....and even if you could miraculously get it to sit evenly on the entire seal, it would be under so much pressure that the window motor would not have enough power to roll the window up and down....and if you rolled the window down and then rolled it back up, the top edge of the window would simply tear the seal off the body.

3. The way that the window regulator is attached to the door, the pressure required to hold the window tight against the seal would just deform/warp the regulator.
    Thanks bro for the info! Much appreciated!