Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2015 IRS parking brake cable installation

Post Thanks / Like

2015 IRS parking brake cable installation

The build of our Type 65 is moving along. The IRS and brakes are installed, however routing the parking brake cable into the brake caliper is turning out to be a problem. The 2015 IRS brake instructions were downloaded per the assembly manual. The photographs and instructions don't match the way our calipers mounted.

The photograph in the instructions show the caliper mounted much higher than our installation. It also shows the caliper mounted with two adapter brackets which use the original mounting lugs. Our kit came with the single adapter bracket which requires cutting off the top mounting lug. This places the caliper much further back.

The higher caliper mounting position allows the parking brake cable to be routed downward and around the back and behind the coil overs. Our installation aims the cable forward toward the CV joint. The concern is that routing the cable so close to the CV joint could result in interference and rubbing which would damage the cable.

Trying to route the cable toward the back requires a very sharp bend. This causes the inner cable to bind inside the cable housing. Routing the cable forward requires having it very close to the CV joint. Is this a serious concern? Does anyone have a solution? Has anyone fabricated a bracket to hold the cable away from the CV joint? Thanks for the help.

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you have the brakes to clear 15 inch wheels. Unfortunately, you have no choice but to run it close to the CV joint. At least its smooth so nothing to catch on.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Sounds like you have the brakes to clear 15 inch wheels. Unfortunately, you have no choice but to run it close to the CV joint. At least its smooth so nothing to catch on.
    Mike
    Thanks, Mike. Yes, it has the 15 inch wheels. I'd like to tie it down to prevent the cable from wandering around. Murphy's law says that anything that can go wring will do wrong. The upper control arm looks like a good place to route it. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am building a 289 kit with IRS and 15" wheels and I am working on this step right now. I found a thread that showed the builder using a small cable bracket to hold the brake cable away from the CV while routing the brake cable under the CV. Sorry, I forgot where/who it was that posted the information. The bracket they used was a small c- clip that bolted onto one of the existing bolts in the area. I was going to try to use something I already have in the garage such as a fuel line type clip to secure the brake line. It's tight in that area for sure!
    2nd 289 Build In progress. 302, midshift T5, IRS, 15" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bguetter View Post
    I am building a 289 kit with IRS and 15" wheels and I am working on this step right now. I found a thread that showed the builder using a small cable bracket to hold the brake cable away from the CV while routing the brake cable under the CV. Sorry, I forgot where/who it was that posted the information. The bracket they used was a small c- clip that bolted onto one of the existing bolts in the area. I was going to try to use something I already have in the garage such as a fuel line type clip to secure the brake line. It's tight in that area for sure!
    It's good to know that someone else is working on the problem. Another issue is the amount of bend in the cable. Some of the routings put a bind on the inner cable. Could this prevent the parking brake from releasing? I think I see what you mean about putting a bracket onto an existing bolt. So far, I have been trying to route the cable over the CV. Does routing it under the CV look like a better option to you? Again, keeping the bends as gentle as possible is a concern.
    I drew a bracket and tried to post a picture of it. No luck! It looked like the number 9. Imagine the loop part going over the existing bolt. The hook part would support the brake cable. It could be pivoted on the bolt to adjust height. Thanks for your input.
    Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    It's good to know that someone else is working on the problem. Another issue is the amount of bend in the cable. Some of the routings put a bind on the inner cable. Could this prevent the parking brake from releasing? I think I see what you mean about putting a bracket onto an existing bolt. So far, I have been trying to route the cable over the CV. Does routing it under the CV look like a better option to you? Again, keeping the bends as gentle as possible is a concern.
    I drew a bracket and tried to post a picture of it. No luck! It looked like the number 9. Imagine the loop part going over the existing bolt. The hook part would support the brake cable. It could be pivoted on the bolt to adjust height. Thanks for your input.
    Terry
    I'll be working on this over the weekend. I think running it under the CV works best. I'm running an E-Stoppe electric brake and mounted it on the frame tubes in front of the fuel tank. My driver's side cable has to make an "S", but I think the bends will be okay. The inner cable glides smoothly. Your description of the number "9" bracket makes sense and should work to hold the cable. Let me know how it goes, and I'll do the same this weekend.
    2nd 289 Build In progress. 302, midshift T5, IRS, 15" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the second try to send these. Before I could upload the two pictures, I "timed out". After I refreshed, my response was lost. Here are the two pics.IMG_0454 (5).jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Try again9 bracket.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    In two earlier attempts to explain what routing was being tried, I "timed out" before I could finish my post. When I "refreshed" my post had disappeared. Mounting the cable over the CV is what I'll try. The brackets shown in the above photo are a test fit. They should work okay, except for being aluminum. The original plan was to put a washer between the nut and the bracket. A 5/8" washer is just too big. I'll make a new set of brackets from steel.
    Discussion with Travis at F5 eased a few fears. He said that builders with the 15" wheels had routed the parking brake cable either over or above the CV. There is some tightness in the inner cable, but it slides fairly well.