Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: VIN # or stamped chassis # ?

Post Thanks / Like

VIN # or stamped chassis # ?

Is there a number stamped in the chassis somewhere on a 33? What do you do if the original owner does not have the paperwork from FFR? Can FFR trace the sale and issue another origin and build sheet?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Indiana as well, have taken a number of FFRs through the process and will tell you that although titling and registration here is easier than in many states the Indiana BMV requires the original Certificate of Origin from Factory Five. Indiana will assign a VIN so the FFR chassis number is irreverent. From everything that I've heard FFR will not issue a duplicate CofO because that opens the door for fraud...but you can contact them and ask.

Good luck!

Jeff

3. Thanks Just 1 More thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I'm in Indiana as well, have taken a number of FFRs through the process and will tell you that although titling and registration here is easier than in many states the Indiana BMV requires the original Certificate of Origin from Factory Five. Indiana will assign a VIN so the FFR chassis number is irreverent. From everything that I've heard FFR will not issue a duplicate CofO because that opens the door for fraud...but you can contact them and ask.

Good luck!

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
    Is there a number stamped in the chassis somewhere on a 33? What do you do if the original owner does not have the paperwork from FFR? Can FFR trace the sale and issue another origin and build sheet?
    There is a serial number on the chassis on the firewall tube below the brake master cylinder mount.

6. Likes Just 1 More liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgc333 View Post
    There is a serial number on the chassis on the firewall tube below the brake master cylinder mount.
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post

Good luck!

Jeff
    The seller was able to find the original paperwork and Cert of Origin so I should be ok

9. Likes RoadRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since I purchased the kit from the original buyer and not FFR direct, the Cert of Origin is in his name. I now have to get a court order to move forward with getting a VIN. Court date set for June 19th, fingers crossed all goes well.

11. Likes RoadRacer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
    Since I purchased the kit from the original buyer and not FFR direct, the Cert of Origin is in his name. I now have to get a court order to move forward with getting a VIN. Court date set for June 19th, fingers crossed all goes well.
    Good luck! Although getting a VIN (not using the FFR one) would help with my problems here in TX! All the TX websites (like, annually renewing registration) barf on the FFR VIN - they don't allow letters in the VIN. Even though TX registered me using a VIN with letters in it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So I'm stuck in the olden days of mailing checks each year and waiting a month
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

13. Likes Just 1 More liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    Good luck! Although getting a VIN (not using the FFR one) would help with my problems here in TX! All the TX websites (like, annually renewing registration) barf on the FFR VIN - they don't allow letters in the VIN. Even though TX registered me using a VIN with letters in it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So I'm stuck in the olden days of mailing checks each year and waiting a month
    That is strange that they have an issue with letters since every OE car at least back into the 60s has multiple letters in the VIN. The FFR serial number is much more VIN looking than the what Mass issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I believe it's because of the location of the letters within the VIN - certain places hold certain significance, like the 1st digit is usually a number, and the last 6 are serial numbers.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the placement of the letters and numbers in a VIN have meaning. The first character is the country where the vehicle was manufactured. A 1 is US, a 2 is Canada ect... There are charts that explain what each position(s) represents. Some are universal and some are manufactured specific. The last 6 or 7 are the actual sequential number of the vehicle at the plant where it was built regardless of the model.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.