FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Steering Shaft Finish

Post Thanks / Like

Steering Shaft Finish

I was wondering how the finish on the FFR supplied steering shafts and universals are holding up on cars that have been on the road for a while? Trying to decide if I want to coat it with anything or if they hold up well out of the box?

Post Thanks / Like
    To keep the original look and you are concerned about corrosion, I would coat them with Sharkhide. I used it on my MK4 12 years ago to coat the aluminum panels. I wanted a coating that was economical and something I could do at home, Sharkhide hit both marks. I sold my MK4 in 2018, in 7 years of kit ownership with 4 years driving, I don't recall any corrosion on those components. If concerned what the Sharkhide would look like, get a piece of steel with a similar finish on it and coat it to be sure you will like the results.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have a piece of PVC pipe covering the shaft (Painted Dark Grey) between my bearing pillar block and my steering wheel.
    The lower shaft has simply been wiped down with WD-40 after being treated with chrome polish.
    I live in a high humidity environment (South East Louisiana) and it is holding up.
    For the record, I wish I'd have considered using Sharkshide.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is on a hot rod without bodywork, in tx in any weather. Driven 13k miles over 3 years and washed maybe once a year.

The original finish (zinc isn’t it?) is unchanged but understand I’m not a paint/polish person so have low standard for finishes. But I think it’s a great finish!

(Sorry can’t upload photo this morning keeps timing out)
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I will be applying a coating to it.