Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: GTM Week 3 update: Steering Wheel/Roll Bar Question

Post Thanks / Like

GTM Week 3 update: Steering Wheel/Roll Bar Question

Had the car 3 weeks now and am sorting out the tune with my tuner we pretty much have it dialed in few more data logs and she'll be right! Over all an amazing car very fun to drive (what little I have driven it). Besides the wheel that comes with the car what other wheels you guys using? Car came with a yoke wheel which is kind of cool but I'd like to have a different one. Show me what you have and bonus if anyone can tell me if I were to order what's the best size. May do a custom order. Also the car has a digital rear view mirror and I need to find a better way to mount it. Currently is use's rubber straps wrapped around the bar in the center and its not in a good field of view and no way to angle it towards the driver. Ideally Id like something that has a clamp that goes around the bar and can hold the mirror and secured that way anyone have an idea what would work?

Also what is the roll bar size that runs across the front windshield?

thanks!
    Last edited by GTM_Vet; 06-11-2024 at 12:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The round halo tubes are 1.5".

I wonder if you could use something like this....made for holding a cell phone?

https://www.amazon.com/roll-cage-pho...ge+phone+mount
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

3. Likes GTM_Vet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    The round halo tubes are 1.5".

I wonder if you could use something like this....made for holding a cell phone?

https://www.amazon.com/roll-cage-pho...ge+phone+mount
    Was looking at same. also ATV/Side by side mounts knowing the roll cage size is helpful thanks! Now I can narrow search and figure out best mount that I can attach the mirror to. Now to figure out steering wheel size so I can explore options on that.

Post Thanks / Like
    The steering wheel that FFR sends with the GTM seems like a pretty good size to me.....it measures around 12.75" diameter. Any larger and you're going to be running your hands into the door....any smaller and you won't have any room thru the wheel to see your gauges.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

6. Likes GTM_Vet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTM_Vet View Post
    Also the car has a digital rear view mirror and I need to find a better way to mount it. Currently is use's rubber straps wrapped around the bar in the center and its not in a good field of view and no way to angle it towards the driver. Ideally Id like something that has a clamp that goes around the bar and can hold the mirror and secured that way anyone have an idea what would work?
    Here's an idea if your mirror is like mine. I had the same problem with my 818. I took the donor mirror apart and recovered the arm that connects the mirror to the windshield mount. Then I made a wire rectangle and a plate that fits the arm. The mirror hooks to that rather than to the rubber bands. And the 818 windshield comes with the rear view mirror mount. It works great.

mirror mount.jpg

8. Likes GTM_Vet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGs818SNA View Post
    Here's an idea if your mirror is like mine. I had the same problem with my 818. I took the donor mirror apart and recovered the arm that connects the mirror to the windshield mount. Then I made a wire rectangle and a plate that fits the arm. The mirror hooks to that rather than to the rubber bands. And the 818 windshield comes with the rear view mirror mount. It works great.

mirror mount.jpg
    That is same mirror I believe. I got some ATV/Side by Side items from Amazon that I think will work out nicely once I get to it. Got a roll bar mount to a short arm to a plate I can affix to the back of the mirror. See how that works out.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the mirror I ordered off Amazon and then bought a roll bar mount. Remove the bolt that holds the windshield mount on the mirror and bolt this to the roll bar mount. I don't have pics, but was about as elegant a solution as I could find. Full disclosure, someone shared this with me so I didn't totally discover it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.amazon.com/PORMIDO-Detac...s%2C121&sr=8-8

I did the same but went with a remote front camera.
    With the limited height of the windshield I wanted the mirror up as high as I could get it.

I also like the option of having a backup camera AND a camera in the engine compartment.
    My last car was a mid engine with only a backup camera and those times when you say "Do I smell oil?" it nice to see what is going on back there.
    Attached Images Attached Images