Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gen I Coyote speed control with Dakota Digital SGI-100BT

Post Thanks / Like

Gen I Coyote speed control with Dakota Digital SGI-100BT

Any and all advice/experience/confirmation with this set up will be greatly appreciated. I'm (still ) installing a GenI Coyote with TKO 600 in my M4. Since I didn't get the Ford Racing Speed Dial before they discontinued it, I'm now trying to use the DD 100BT in it's place. I think I have most of what I need but would very much like the GenI ECU connector pin outs - specifically the T connector with pins 14 and 38. I've talked with DD Tech and they say that if those pins are the VSS speed sensors for the ECU, I should be in business. Thanks in advance
    RJ "A race car exists in only two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way" Road and Track, May 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're planning to run an electronic speedometer, you only need the VSS signal from your TKO600. No need to run it through the PCM. On a Coyote, the OSS (not VSS) signal runs to the PCM and is then translated/transmitted to the speedometer via CAN/BUS and takes readings as well from rear gear ratio. So, really not sure what your plan is. What "T" connector are you refering to? I can give you pinouts but need to know the connector.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weendoggy View Post
    If you're planning to run an electronic speedometer, you only need the VSS signal from your TKO600. No need to run it through the PCM. On a Coyote, the OSS (not VSS) signal runs to the PCM and is then translated/transmitted to the speedometer via CAN/BUS and takes readings as well from rear gear ratio. So, really not sure what your plan is. What "T" connector are you refering to? I can give you pinouts but need to know the connector.
    So my speedo will be a component of an AEM race dash and I figured that it's input would come thru the CAN bus/OBDII connection and I wasn't too much worried about that but maybe I should have been.. Either way the Gen I Coyote had a known problem - stalling after or during coast down. This problem was solved by a "Speed Dial" from Ford Racing (NLA) that needed to be added to the car - it's my understanding that it took a speed signal from the transmission and converted it to a VSS signal so the ECU would see vehicle speed from the trans. And, hence solving the stall problem. This all covered in the Coyote Install guide 15471 11/30/16 PAGE 59 - 62.

My reference to pin out is specifically for the last connector on the right of the ECU. Also known as the "50 pin plug". The Speed Dial requires adding pins for connectors 14 and 38 and then connecting them to the Speed Dial. The tech asked me to confirm that those 2 pins were used for speed sensor input to the ECU.

The later Coyote motors don't have this problem - I assume Ford solved it with software or firmware. Thanks for your response/help.
    RJ "A race car exists in only two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way" Road and Track, May 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, early Coyotes did produce the stall, but not all and it was fixed in the late 2012 models. I did a Gen1 swap on my '02 Mustang with T3650 and had some minor issues with stall, but not everytime. I'm also using the stock PCM, not a Control Pack. I could easily replicate it. When on track, I never had an issue with stalling. However, I did trick the PCM with the T3650 signal. Remember, they are a VSS, not OSS signal. The VSS is a two wire were the OSS is a three wire and uses CAN/BUS and a reference signal. The 50pin PCM connector is correct and your pin outputs are correct.

I spliced just two wires from the VSS to the 50pin terminals 14 & 38. Attached drawing. No issues since doing this. The TKO uses a VSS so you don't need the reference signal wire. It makes no difference on my Mustang. I've since installed a TKX and the car is the same. All you're doing is letting the PCM "know" the driveshaft is still spinning and not fall to an idle/neutral condition, so to speak.

speed_sensor_OSS-PCM.jpg
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Weendoggy, Thank you so much.. I like confirmation and documentation :-).. I'm now confident that I have a good solution. BTW mine is a 2011 Gen I.