Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Hood hinge to hood mounting not right, help!

Post Thanks / Like

Hood hinge to hood mounting not right, help!

Need some guidance, Set the hood on and the hinge doesn't fit flush with the hood. There is a gap at the rear of where the hinge attaches to the hood. The front of the hinge touches but then it's about 3/8 gap at the rear. Looks like I need a wedge in there. Anyone else have this issue? Any idea why i have this issue?
    20240623_183735.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't run into this. Doesn't one of the adjustments correct this?
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    The bolts will pull the hinge up against the hood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Haven't run into this. Doesn't one of the adjustments correct this?
    Mike
    If there is an adjustment, i'm not aware of it. I'll keep playing with it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgc333 View Post
    The bolts will pull the hinge up against the hood.
    I've tried pulling the hinge with my hands and it's not moving. I seriously doubt bolts will do it

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll get pushback here but I've been on this board for 3 years and there have been a lot of comments about the quality of the hood hinges FFR produces. The number one thing, if anyone asked me, for FFR to improve I would say the hinges. I had a lot of trouble getting them to work right. Several folks over the years have had that trouble. Now for the comments telling me I'm wrong :-)
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

7. Thanks Just 1 More thanked for this post
    Likes Just 1 More, JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    No push back from me. I’ve had my shares of issues with the Gen 1 hood, warped doors, and trunk.
    Some say it’s a learning experience.
    For the hood I drilled a few holes to relocate things to make it fit and operate better.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

9. Likes Just 1 More liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    No push back from me. I’ve had my shares of issues with the Gen 1 hood, warped doors, and trunk.
    Some say it’s a learning experience.
    For the hood I drilled a few holes to relocate things to make it fit and operate better.
    Drilled a few holes where?

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you have a Gen 2 so your whole hood hinge assy is different from my Gen 1.
    I drilled new holes on the side vertical pieces.
    Last edited by JimLev; 06-24-2024 at 05:47 PM.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

12. Thanks Just 1 More thanked for this post
    Likes Just 1 More liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Gen 2 hinges installed on my Gen 1 Hot Rod, and I don't see that issue. IMHO, the Gen 2 hinges are a clever design and a huge improvement over the Gen 1 hinges (which is why I bought them for my car).

I'll try not to go too far into the weeds and keep this as simple as I can (which is engineering speak for "brace yourself for more information than you really want or need to know").

The hinges are what we called a 4-bar mechanism back in the olden days. This is approximately a parallelogram, except that the sides are not all straight lines (which buys you clearance when the hinge moves full range). Looking in from the DS, the bar on the left is attached to the radiator (let's call it the Base), there are top and bottom bars, and the hood mounting flange is part of the triangle shaped "bar" on the right. If I'm understanding your photo correctly, the problem is that the hood mounting flange that should be roughly horizontal is actually tilted down toward the engine.

If that is the case, either the bottom bar is too short (unlikely), the top bar too long (also unlikely), or the Base bar is tilted, with the bottom of the bracket more forward than is should be. There were no extra holes, so I think it can the part can only be installed in one location.

The only thing I noticed was that while the Base bar is straight and flat, it has angled slots to allow vertical adjustment of the hinge. Is is possible that this piece was installed backwards? Look in from the DS and the slots should appear roughly vertical. If they aren't, there's the problem.

PM or email me if that doesn't work or if you have further questions. Hope this solves the mystery!

Keith HR #894

Also, IIRC, FFR has a PDF document about the hood hinge assembly available on their website. You can look at that for more drawings and an exploded view.

14. Likes JimLev liked this post