FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hydroboost Brakes

Post Thanks / Like

Hydroboost Brakes

Hi, All. I’m in the planning stages of a ‘35 build and was wondering if anyone has done a Hydroboost brake application. I’m purchasing a Blueprint LS package which includes a hydraulic power steering pump. It seems a logical approach to use this power source for a Hydroboost application since there is no hydraulic PS option for this package. Any thoughts, or better yet, has anyone else taken this approach?

Pertinent options are:
    Wilwood brake option
    F5 electric PS

Also, I have worked with Blueprint and they have a PS delete option specifically for this truck, so no big deal if the Hydroboost isn’t a good approach.

Thanks,
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're going to the trouble of moving the master cylinder out onto the firewall and boosting the brakes, why not vacuum power? That's what I did on my 35 truck build. Pictures and description in my build thread. Nothing additional other than tapping engine vacuum. I wouldn't run hydraulic for the brakes alone.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Paul... doesn't seem practical.... i.e., running a PS pump just for brakes.
    Mark
    '35 Truck
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...35-Truck-Build
    Brevard, NC

Post Thanks / Like
    Be aware that the chassis gets pretty narrow at the front. I too have the LS and went with the Holley front drive, it came with a PS pump that would in no way have fit. No problem for me as I got the electric PS from FFR with my kit. A couple of things I liked about the Holley drive was that it comes with a spot to hook up your steam vent, and the housing has provisions for the heater hoses to either come straight out or go down which is what I did as coming straight can hit the round frame tube that the upper control arm mounts to.

Gary
    FFR Gen 2 35 truck, Barrett Jackson edition # 4, chassis # 81, 525HP LS3 & 4L75E, 8.8" 3 link.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want the hydroboost, consider an electric pump. There are systems out there and, in this application, going electric makes sense for both.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven’t even considered this option. I will take a look. I’m not even convinced I need boosted brakes, it’s just one of the 1000 things bouncing around in my head. Thanks for the input!