Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel cell for a Coupe-R

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel cell for a Coupe-R

Any recommendations for fuel cell that fits the Coupe-R? I’m looking at a Fuelsafe 22gal cell, just wondering if anyone has been down this road. Just need about 30 minutes race duration, 363 with a 750 carb.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jphoenix View Post
    Any recommendations for fuel cell that fits the Coupe-R? I’m looking at a Fuelsafe 22gal cell, just wondering if anyone has been down this road. Just need about 30 minutes race duration, 363 with a 750 carb.

Any suggestions appreciated.
    I would give them a call. They make one for the challenge car, but it is 22 gals. I've called them before and they were super helpful.

https://fuelsafe.com/ed122a-aff/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by burchfieldb View Post
    I would give them a call. They make one for the challenge car, but it is 22 gals. I've called them before and they were super helpful.

https://fuelsafe.com/ed122a-aff/
    Good idea, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been using a 15 gallon Fuel Safe Enduro cell for the past 4 years.

https://fuelsafe.com/ed/

Note the 9.5" depth. I did not do a remote fill/cap/neck but instead added a small hinged door to the floor of my car and fill the cell directly.

I did consider the Challenge Car 22 gallon cell as I 'bet' that it would fit the Coupe AND you may be able to get the securing 'cage' kit from FFR or at least the dimensions for it. And maybe use the fuel filler cap/neck.

Could you report back what you find and decide to do? My bladder expires this year and it's either a new bladder or give the 22 gallon cell a try.

Dave
    Gen III Coupe #17
    Last edited by Dave Tabor; 06-26-2024 at 09:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave, I'll let you know what I go with. Is the 15 gallon capacity enough for a 30 minute race? Don't have the kit yet, so can't measure to see if the 22 gal tank will fit, I'll likely fabricate and weld in my own mounts - depending on how it fits. Looking at John George's car, looks like he went with the fill internally as you did - works for me, unless I decide to do some enduros.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jphoenix View Post
    Thanks Dave, I'll let you know what I go with. Is the 15 gallon capacity enough for a 30 minute race? Don't have the kit yet, so can't measure to see if the 22 gal tank will fit, I'll likely fabricate and weld in my own mounts - depending on how it fits. Looking at John George's car, looks like he went with the fill internally as you did - works for me, unless I decide to do some enduros.
    Well I run a 302 (carbureted) and get maybe 5-8 mpg on a road course. Usually I can stay out on track for 45-60 mins at a time averaging say ~75 mph.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Chatted with the guys running mustangs today at SOVREN, they’re running carbureted 302’s and 306’s mostly. They have 15 gal. Fuelsafe cells, one guy has a 22 gallon, but they only burn 5 gals during a 20 minute race. So I think a 15 gal cell will be fine for our 20 and 30 minute races.

Most are running Hoosier TDR tires per SVRA, couple guys running Goodyears. They like the Wilwood aero6 big brakes, so I’m leaning towards that in the front and the aero4 in the back.