Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: EFI In Tank Pump Help

Post Thanks / Like

EFI In Tank Pump Help

I am going to be running a 408W with an Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 EFI kit in my Type 65. I was looking for a fuel pump and it seems like the kit you can buy from Factory Five is not the best option. What do you guys suggest? If I go with the Aeromotive Stealth Electric Fuel Pumps 18638, will I need to get anything else other than a regulator (fuel pump relay wiring, charcoal can, etc)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Walter, that's a huge pump. Then again, if your HP number is really high, you might need it. If I am not mistaken, the wiring for a roadster is pretty similar to a coupe. In that case, you should have everything you need in the RF harness to power your pump. You'll obviously need a hanger to support the proper tubing size. But other than a regulator and return lines, I don't think you'd need additional parts. The listing for the 18638 states that it fits all hangers, so I would guess you'd be OK.

The charcoal can is a good idea for fumes irrespective of what pump you use. There are a number of threads on this forum that describe how to make one. It will take you about 30 minutes to put one together.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

3. Thanks Walter429 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    Walter, that's a huge pump. Then again, if your HP number is really high, you might need it. If I am not mistaken, the wiring for a roadster is pretty similar to a coupe. In that case, you should have everything you need in the RF harness to power your pump. You'll obviously need a hanger to support the proper tubing size. But other than a regulator and return lines, I don't think you'd need additional parts. The listing for the 18638 states that it fits all hangers, so I would guess you'd be OK.

The charcoal can is a good idea for fumes irrespective of what pump you use. There are a number of threads on this forum that describe how to make one. It will take you about 30 minutes to put one together.
    I wont have more than 550 hp as that is the most my Pro-Flo 4 can handle. I just saw someone else mention the aeromotive a few years ago as a good pump and I wasn't sure that the stock replacement ones on Summit for $100 would be good enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter429 View Post
    I am going to be running a 408W with an Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 EFI kit in my Type 65. I was looking for a fuel pump and it seems like the kit you can buy from Factory Five is not the best option. What do you guys suggest? If I go with the Aeromotive Stealth Electric Fuel Pumps 18638, will I need to get anything else other than a regulator (fuel pump relay wiring, charcoal can, etc)?
    I’ve decided to pull the pin and join the Pro Flo 4 club. I also sought out answers to similar questions. Edelbrock makes mention of using Warlbro 255lph. According to Edelbrock, this pump will support up to 600hp. $100 for a pump, done and done. On that same thread and since you're spending money, I previously installed Pro-M’s fuel pump hanger. It incorporates a return tube that dumps fuel directly into the baffled sump. Moreover, the return tube empties below the fuel's surface as to not aerate the fuel. The hanger’s fuel connections are JIC (AN*) fitting compatible. Pertaining to fuel pressure, Edelbrock also makes a rail mounted fuel pressure regulator (43psi & 58psi) for the Pro Flo. It looks pretty clean from the photos I’ve seen. Plus it won't take up engine bay real estate. Don't forget your fuel filter(s).

Post Thanks / Like
    For my 427W stroker, I'm using the Walbro 255lph pump and the Pro-M hanger. Also have an Aeromotive FPR on the firewall. I'm going to use the Edelbrock Pro-Flo4 EFI setup, too.

You do have to do a bit of grinding on the circumference of the fuel pump hanger opening on the tank, but it's not a big deal. I used a small grinding stone in my Dremel, and had Shop-Vac sucking up the metal dust as I was grinding.

Greg
    Built an early MkIII years ago, sold years ago.
    Got Corvettes out of my system, and now back after 18 years to build a MkIV.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker (in the process of building it now), EFI System - Edelbrock Pro Flow 4, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes
    Here to learn, contribute, and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using this Holley in tank fuel pump, so I can connect to it with an fittings.
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...BoC72EQAvD_BwE