Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Removing T-56 on my completed Coupe

Post Thanks / Like

Removing T-56 on my completed Coupe

I had to pull my T-56 on my completed Coupe this weekend in order to replace my Tilton TOB which was leaking grease from the bearing flange. I was a little concerned whether this was possible given the limited space within the frame. However for anyone wondering it is possible. I thought I would post a few lessons I learned along the way.
    My setup is Gen 3 Coyote with a QuickTime bellhousing and T-56 Magnum. Once the driveshaft was disconnected I found it easiest to pull the yoke out if you remove the transmission support bracket and mount allowing the transmission to full droop downward. This gave me barely enough wiggle room to slide the yoke out. After removing the front and middle transmission tunnel aluminum you can also access the bolts for the shifter cover and remove it at the same time. Using a transmission jack, we raised the transmission back up slightly above the level that it normally sits and also put another floor jack supporting the Coyote as it was now tilting slightly forward and we didn’t want it to potentially tip forward once the weight of the transmission was no longer going to be present. Seven of the eight 15 mm transmission bolts are accessible from beneath the car (2 require quite a reach). The eighth bolt I found was accessible from within the car using a couple 10 inch extensions threaded through the top of the tunnel to reach the bolt. At this point the transmission was able to wiggled out and shifted rearward to clear the bellhousing face. Although not necessary for my problem it was evident that the clutch could be replaced once the bellhousing was removed without having to completely remove the transmission from the car. Reassembly was basically the reverse processs. Total job was about 8 hours and doable with 2 people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting and informing. Thanks for posting. Same setup as my Coupe (Coyote and T56) and I suspected the trans could be removed without taking the engine out considering the space available with the Gen 3 frame. Unfortunate about the Tilton HRB. Are they going to warranty it or do any additional review?
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m going to reach out to them and see if they will look at it and give me their thoughts. We’ll see….

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update. I have the same setup and have to remove the transmission also for a clutch issue.
    Mark III 347/435 hp TKO 3.55 axle
    Gen 3 Daytona Coyote Gen 3 T56 3.73 diff. (In build)
    Superlite SLC LS3 480 hp Graziano Transaxle