Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: 33 hotrod - Spring Rate

[email protected]
    Post Thanks / Like

Question 33 hotrod - Spring Rate

My 10+ year old Hot Rod Rides Rough. Front hits hard, and Rear absorbs/travels little . Too stiff!
    I have installed 275# rear coils (from 350#) currently untested.
    Have other builders reduced front coil # PLEASE ADVISE
    car is currently on jackstands for Radiator Repair (blew lower tank), oil leak, exh leak, repl coil springs ,tune up, bi yearly maint, and a cleanup.
    PLEASE ADVISE MY SPRING RATE ISSUE
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I switched to different spring rates & adjustable QA1 shocks on the 33 a couple years back and do not regret it at all. I'm running 9" 300# springs in the front with dual adjustable (rebound & compression) PromaStar shocks in the front (inverted for easy adjustment) and in the rear I'm running 12" 150# springs (recently chnaged from the 12" 300# I was running) with single adjustable (compression) PromaStar shocks.

The ride is awesome. Still a little stiffer than a normal passenger car but I do not get the jolt/rough ride over bumps like I did with FFR supplied Konis & coils.
    Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting, my 33 came with 400 lb springs on the front and 250 lb springs on the back. I find the front to be stiff but acceptable but the rear is harsh and is jarring over bumps. I am considering going down to 200 lb springs or maybe even 175 lb springs for the rear. BTW, it is a three link out back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 33fromSD View Post
    I switched to different spring rates & adjustable QA1 shocks on the 33 a couple years back and do not regret it at all. I'm running 9" 300# springs in the front with dual adjustable (rebound & compression) PromaStar shocks in the front (inverted for easy adjustment) and in the rear I'm running 12" 150# springs (recently chnaged from the 12" 300# I was running) with single adjustable (compression) PromaStar shocks.

The ride is awesome. Still a little stiffer than a normal passenger car but I do not get the jolt/rough ride over bumps like I did with FFR supplied Konis & coils.
    Jim
    Jim, you have the '15 IRS, correct?
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    NOTE: the rear springs are different depending on your rear end choice so might be a good idea to add your rear end type to your answers....

I have the IRS and have left the rear springs stock, believe they are 300... Also, I have the upgraded FFR dual rate shocks...

The front was stupid stiff so I went down to 250s. Really happy with the result for cruising.

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TxMike64 View Post
    Jim, you have the '15 IRS, correct?
    No, I'm running 8" Moser rear-end with 4-link

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Steve, Re: Spring Rates................

I also have experimented with lots of spring rates. I was using the car a lot for Track Days when it was first roadworthy, but don't do that any more (I'm getting OLD!) I have a solid rear axle with the 3 Link kit. For the track I used 450lbs/in on the front and 175- 350lbs/in variable rates on the rear. That was fine, but when I decided to go on the Hot Rod Power Tour in 2022 I knew I needed to soften things up for that Long Haul (2600 miles round trip!).

I dropped to 350lbs/in for the fronts and down to 250lbs/in on the rear springs. It's pretty civilized with these rates. I'm using QA1 single adjustable shocks on all four corners. Those I keep at 4 clicks from full soft for street driving. (a possible 18 clicks from full soft to full hard) When I'm going to exercise the car at the track, I change the shock settings to around 8 clicks for high speed stability.

I hope this helps,
    Tom Veale
    #007 FFR Hot Rod, 18K miles since 2009
    Last edited by Tom Veale; 08-27-2024 at 12:57 PM.

8. Likes progmgr1, TxMike64 liked this post