FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Extended cab, Cab to bed aluminum

Post Thanks / Like

Extended cab, Cab to bed aluminum

I'm not sure if I ever saw this part or is it not used on the Extended Cab Truck? The manual shows the "cab to rear" aluminum. But this is showing the regular cab.

Cab rear aluminum.PNG

The angles of the chassis are different on the extended cab at the point where the cab and bed meet. I also am not sure where on the inventory sheets this part falls. So it is difficult to tell if it ever got inventoried.
    There is no inventory sheet for the: cab, chassis, truck bed, etc. Just not sure. As I have said in the past, if there is not an inventory sheet, how do we know it is missing?

Funny thing too, this part looks like it goes under the cab, but the manual shows the cab going on, then this part.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I never recieved mine, FFR wanted too much $$. Went to the metal supermarket and they bent one and out the door for $25 if i rember right. My truck is the original cab.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wingardh View Post
    I never recieved mine, FFR wanted too much $$. Went to the metal supermarket and they bent one and out the door for $25 if i rember right. My truck is the original cab.

Chris
    I suspect, this part keeps water out of the cab? I bought a rear wing from Five Star Car Bodies. Almost identical but a bit thick I think. Chris, what gauge aluminum did you use and how far did you cover the bed of the truck?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think 1/8, i bent it about 1 1/2" for the inside of the cab and extended it out about 4", well beyond the first chassie cross member.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Chris, does the vertical part push up against the inside back wall of the cab?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it does and I siliconed and pop rivited it. Rivited from the outside. And do the vertcal part first.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too am building the extended cab model. I did not have this part in my inventory either. Went to Lowes and purchased a 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 aluminum angle, cut down the edge that lays on the frame member to match the cab, then riveted and siliconed to frame. Sed cab behind the vertical angle drilled holes through both angle and cab. Used nut plates attached to rear of cab to fasten aluminum angle and cab together. Looks good, provides a water barrier, and fastens cab more securely than what is show in manual.

8. Thanks mbisett thanked for this post
    Likes Chris Wingardh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is great information for those of us building the extended cab truck. Are there any pictures that show the results?
    2021 delivered MK4 Roadster, Blueprint 302, Tremec TKO - 2022 complete
    2024 delivered 35 Hot Rod Truck Kit, LS3 with auto transmission - project underway

Post Thanks / Like
    My build thread shows the results.... link in my signature below.

Mark
    Mark
    '35 Truck
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...35-Truck-Build
    Brevard, NC