Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Coupe-R build in Seattle

Post Thanks / Like

Coupe-R build in Seattle

OK, completion date is getting close, 7/20, so I'm going to start my build thread with the list of stuff. I plan to race the Coupe-R in both SOVREN (vintage racing) and ICSCC, aka "Conference" which is a consortium of five racing clubs in the Pacific Northwest. I'll be road racing - typically 30 minute races at the 5 tracks up here, Pacific Raceways, The Ridge, Portland International, Spokane County (now Qlispe Raceway) and Mission up in B.C. I don't autocross or track day. I currently race a Formula Ford - which I shall continue as it keeps me very honest and there is a lot of competition in the FF class up here.

I do not plan to drive on the street, so it will be race-height, dry-sumped, big brakes and as light as possible. The engine and trans is coming from Mike Forte as soon as end of this month.

Engine is a Ford Performance 363 with a TKX.
    Probably AVIAID or Peterson dry sump parts, GT1 folks up here lean towards AVIAD, but they all work. Vipers use a very nice Dailey dry sump pan - but pricey!
    FuelSafe 15 gallon cell.
    Firebottle, Lifeline or similar fire system.
    Accusump for pre-oiling.
    Some kinda race wheels with 295 up front and 315/30r18's in back. Likely Hoosier R7's, but some of the guys like the Michelins and some like Avons (that are scarce now that AVON is converting to NOVA and out of production temporarily).
    FFR doesn't have the 900/700 lb. spring combo they discuss on their race setup page, so I'll start with whatever it comes with, do corner weights and see how it sits. There are a couple of really smart GT1 setup guys here that can help me get set up. All my experience is with Formula Mazda and Formula Ford, so this is a new adventure with regard to setup. It's more than double the weight of the Formula Ford, so going through the corners will be interesting at first.

AIM data logging dash with all the inputs from the engine and chassis going into it. Smarty Cam input to the data logger.
    Heater for defrost on those cool, rainy spring days - but no AC, I will run a cool shirt and helmet blower, it gets hot in Portland in August.
    IRS, QA1 DD401 shocks, Aero6 Wilwoods, I like a hard, modulating brake pedal and have lots of old master cylinders to try and find the right feel and balance.
    Gas-N headers - and I'll fabricate my own side pipes to meet sound limits. I've ordered all the aero bits from FFR and will fabricate a diffuser for it as well. Still trying to decide on which wing, rules limit width to 72", but that's not a problem.

SCCA rules have the FF Coupe-R listed as GTX with a minimum weight of 2600 - that seems kind of low for the engine size - especially since the 363 does not require a restrictor plate (366 and up - so got in just under the wire), there's a Porsche GT3 running here with a min. weight of 3200, same with the local Vipers, 3200 lbs, so maybe I have a chance I would like to get the car's empty weight down to 2400 so I can get close to the 2600 lb. min. weight, that may be a challenge, but I'll leave off anything cosmetic or unnecessary for racing.

I'll run in GTX/SPO class in Conference and in the Big Bore class in SOVREN. There's another Coupe racing in SOVREN, but I haven't seen him out yet this year.

So, that's it for now, Stewart might take a couple of weeks or so to get it here, so likely August before I start work on it. Also Stewart is bring my wife a 289 USRRC kit at the same time because she wants to build her own toy. She wants it to be as close as possible to an original, with a 302 that looks a lot like a 289, FIA pin drive wheels, rear exhaust etc. I'm glad she can weld!
    Last edited by Jphoenix; 08-24-2024 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Changed shock type

2. Likes M. Townsend liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got the body off and started on the front steering, suspension and brakes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Phoenix
    Coupe-R delivered 8/10/2024
    289 USRRC delivered same day

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice plan. Does your wife have a sister? Asking for a friend.
    Built FFR9457. 351 Windsor, TKO600, 3.73. Fitech EFI. Russ Thompson throttle pedal, turn signal, and trunk pan. Carbon Fiber dash with Speedhut Revolution gauges. Paint by Jeff Kleiner.

5. Likes Jphoenix, egchewy79 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the mix! I'm up in Marysville.
    Those are some big calipers for sure; are they the Cadillac ones many are using in conversions these days?

-Matt
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

7. Likes Jphoenix liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Nice plan. Does your wife have a sister? Asking for a friend."

LOL - no, but she does have a sister-in-law (my sister) who owns a body shop in Missoula where we will get the paint done at the special special sibling rate, we do the filling, sanding, blocking and she sprays, then we get to cut and polish.
    Jim Phoenix

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by q4stix View Post
    Welcome to the mix! I'm up in Marysville.
    Those are some big calipers for sure; are they the Cadillac ones many are using in conversions these days?

-Matt
    They're the Aero 6 race brakes, bolt right up to the FFR spindles - with the usual clearance grinding well documented in this forum. The 18" Halibrands clear them just barely, but well enough.

https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Br...emno=140-16859

Rears are the typical Aero4 with parking brake, but might not use the parking brake, trying to keep the car as light as possible.
    Jim Phoenix

Post Thanks / Like
    Front brakes done, clearances adjusted, everything torqued except the camber adjusters. Suspension done except the Moog tie-rod ends recommended by EdwardB - just POR'd them and they're drying. I'm also using the Howe UBJ's he recommended, they are nice parts.

On to the rear end now. My IRS diff came painted already, so just have to modify the spindles and bolt it all up.

IMG_8584.jpgIMG_8582.jpeg
    Jim Phoenix

Post Thanks / Like
    Engine arrived - Ford Performance 363 with TKX from Mike Forte. Just need some headers from Gas'N.

IMG_8486.jpg
    Jim Phoenix

Post Thanks / Like
    Modified the IRS spindles and painted them, gathered up all the IRS parts and assemble the LCA's. Punched out the metric studs in the hubs and installed the 1/2-20 studs. Ready for the pumpkin installation.

IMG_8587.jpgIMG_8588.jpgIMG_8589.jpgIMG_8586.jpg
    Jim Phoenix

Post Thanks / Like
    Renee and I spent 3 hours coaxing the diff into place, bit of a struggle but we got it in. Then control arms, axles, spindle assemblies and brakes.

IMG_8592.jpgIMG_8598.jpgIMG_8602.jpgIMG_8608.jpg
    Jim Phoenix

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Jim,
    I see you are using the supplied CV boots. Since you plan on some serious driving I would replace those as they will fail and make a mess. We have had multiple fail among our group of Type 65 owners and we push the cars hard to speeds of 150+
    as I think you will be doing. Easier to do it now as the mess is not fun. We also switched out to redline cv grease as it has a high drop point. I will let you know how the new boots and grease hold up after the Silver State Classic as I will be at 160+ for almost 90 miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I read the posts about the boots failing (saw your photos - ugly mess). Which boots did you buy? I run redline grease in my Formula Ford CV’s, so have plenty of the red goo.
    Jim Phoenix

Post Thanks / Like
    Another question - are you using the QA1 DD401 shocks? I want to replace the FFR single adjustable shock with DA’s.
    Jim Phoenix

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim,

I went with the Ford Motorcraft boots for a modern mustang and drilled a small hole in them to vent out pressure. I will report the success or failure in a few weeks. The original FF ones are neoprene and really flexible. The motorcraft units are a harder plastic and I cannot image them expanding and getting shredded on the suspension.
    I am using the QA1 DD401 dampers and really like them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsnake View Post
    Jim,

I went with the Ford Motorcraft boots for a modern mustang and drilled a small hole in them to vent out pressure. I will report the success or failure in a few weeks. The original FF ones are neoprene and really flexible. The motorcraft units are a harder plastic and I cannot image them expanding and getting shredded on the suspension.
    I am using the QA1 DD401 dampers and really like them.
    Thanks, I'll go with the DD401's. Let me know how it goes with the boots during the Silver State run, sounds like a great time! Enjoyed the videos from last year.
    Jim Phoenix

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the wheel spacers last night from Summit, 1.25" all around, primarily to clear the front brakes, but also in back as I plan to run a 335 width tire, so this will be a starting point. Halibrands fit fine, plenty of clearance. Now working on fitting the fuel cell, glad I went with the 15 gallon cell, the 22 gallon may not have fit. I may raise it up a few more inches after I check the aft body location. This fuel cell has a 4-way check valve surge box, foam and in-tank pump.

IMG_8634.jpgIMG_8632.jpegIMG_8629.jpgIMG_8638.jpg
    Jim Phoenix

Post Thanks / Like
    Positioned the fuel cell in a good location, plenty of clearance all around. I fabricated a couple of angles to mount the tank using 1/4" bolts, welded mounting tabs on to the support angles to give it plenty of strength.

IMG_8642.jpegIMG_8647.jpegIMG_8656.jpegIMG_8658.jpeg
    Jim Phoenix

Post Thanks / Like
    Fuel cell is in for the last time. Finished up the steering and foot pedal box after riveting the aluminum pieces in that area. Also finished up the e-brake installation - cables were about .75" too short, the Wildwood extender brackets were not included in my kit. Also put the Kirkey race seat in place temporarily to check the pedal and steering wheel locations - I'm surprised at how much room there is in this car - compared to my Formula ford!IMG_8683.jpegIMG_8685.jpgIMG_8679.jpgIMG_8672.jpeg
    Jim Phoenix

Post Thanks / Like
    The small square tube that runs across the cockpit, that supports the dash seems too far aft for me. I'm thinking about relocations it farther forward and lower as I would like the steering wheel to be 2 or 3" farther forward. I plan to fabricate a custom dash anyhow, anyone see any reason not to move it?
    Jim Phoenix

Post Thanks / Like
    On the ground, mounted the seat and finished brake plumbing. Going to put some cockpit tin in and run the wiring harness. Waiting on some engine parts from Forte, if I get those soon I can put the engine/trans in.

IMG_8701.jpgIMG_8693.jpgIMG_8704.jpg
    Jim Phoenix

Post Thanks / Like
    The Coupe build manual directs us to cut off a big chunk of the IRS spindle - and I did so, but was wondering why this was necessary. Now I know - the e-brake cable on the Wilwoods run down from the cable ferrule right where the piece I cut off would be. I mean I guess this is why we cut this off - I haven't found any text to support this, but can think of no other reason, except maybe to lighten the spindle. In any case, the instruction manual says cut it off between the two drilled holes, down to the boss shown in the manual, so I did that but now I see others have cut it along a line inboard of the second hole. Not sure if it makes a big difference as the tear-out on that part is likely pretty high. Guess I'll find out.

Continued with tidying up fuel and brake lines and wiring to the fuel tank so I could install clamps for the fuel line, wiring and brake lines through the transmission tunnel. Working on a seat back mounting bracket to the transverse bar behind the seat. Still waiting on engine parts from Forte before I can install the engine/trans. Curious to see where the shifter ends up. Going to modify the dash arrangement quite a bit to accommodate a logger dash.

IMG_8728.jpegIMG_8733.jpgIMG_8730.jpgIMG_8726.jpg
    Jim Phoenix

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed the seat in the correct location, then fabricated a bracket to attach the seat back to the cage and welded it in. White POR on the bare metal, and also sanded the powder coat off where it was flaking off due to poor prep prior to powder coating and applied white POR to this areas.

IMG_8765.jpgIMG_8751.jpgIMG_8758.jpegIMG_8770.jpgIMG_8768.jpeg
    Jim Phoenix

Post Thanks / Like
    Drilled about a million holes today fitting tins to the frame. Going to make an access panel for the fuel cell.

IMG_8773.jpg
    Jim Phoenix

Post Thanks / Like
    I dropped the engine/trans in this morning so I could finish the fuel line plumbing, some wiring and determine where the shifter ends up. I need to order a front shift kit. Still waiting on engine accessories from Forte and a dry sump, so the engine will come back out.

IMG_8784.jpgIMG_8795.jpg

IMG_8806.jpgIMG_8800.jpg

In the meantime, I'll bring the Cobra in and start on it - the shortened axle for the pin drives arrived from Moser, just need the shorter front LCA's, expected Thursday from FFR.
    Last edited by Jphoenix; 08-26-2024 at 02:41 PM.
    Jim Phoenix

Post Thanks / Like
    Started making fuel lines to go from the bulkhead fitting on the firewall through the Trick Flow inline filter, the regulator and then to the carb - waiting for another 90 degree fitting to finish that. Driveshaft is a perfect fit. Headers coming from GAS'N sometime next month.

IMG_8809.jpgIMG_8808.jpgIMG_8807.jpg
    Jim Phoenix

Post Thanks / Like
    Still waiting for clutch kit, power steering pump and water pump from Forte, so in the meantime I continue to work on aluminum, radiator installation, accelerator pedal and steering wheel quick disconnect. Got the shifter front relocation kit from SST through Summit (use LABORDAY code for money off) That steering wheel is from my Formula Ford, I'll get an 11.5" wheel for the Coupe. Put the body on so I can start to arrange the dash wiring, MSD box location, heater box and other instrumentation. Shocks relocated to the upper holes, ride height is now about 3" front and a bit more in the rear.

IMG_8818.jpgIMG_8845.jpgIMG_8814.jpgIMG_8819.jpg
    Jim Phoenix

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm deviating quite a bit from the normal Coupe dash layout. The tach will be centered in the steering wheel, all other gauges will be in the canted panel to the right along with warning lights for water pressure, oil pressure and alternator. A row of 9 switches for the typical things and the main battery cutoff along with the brake bias knob will be in the center panel as well. Fire handle will be left of the steering wheel, accessible from the window. A second battery cutoff switch will be on the right side of the car somewhere.

IMG_8864.jpgIMG_8867.jpgIMG_8863.jpg

Still waiting for engine parts from Forte, but the shortened LCA's have arrived from FFR for the Cobra, so progress continues.
    Jim Phoenix

31. Likes lewma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That dash certainly is different. Will be interesting to see it come together.

You're definitely making quick work of all this. You'll have this on the race track in no time.
    Gen 3 Coupe #576 - "Project Deimos"
    Ordered: 2/14/2024
    Received: 5/24/2024
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...upe-has-landed!

33. Likes Jphoenix liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimStone View Post
    That dash certainly is different. Will be interesting to see it come together.

You're definitely making quick work of all this. You'll have this on the race track in no time.
    Yes, it's just going to be gauges and switches, no creature comforts except for a cool suit cooler and blower in the right seat. I plan to put the battery in the right footwell, defroster blower in the upper footwell. Once the wiring/plumbing is done, the engine has to come back out for the power steering pump/dry sump rework that requires a water pump change (reverse rotation) and the TKX mod to forward shift position.
    Jim Phoenix

Post Thanks / Like
    Finalizing the position of the dash structure and riveting the side supports in as well as an additional support channel along the bottom of the dash. Routing wiring, etc. Put some gauges and switches in to check clearance and accessibility. New sealed switches coming from Summit on Friday along with a bunch of LED indicator lights, a water pressure sender and an oil temp gauge. I'm surprised the Coupe-R kit does not include an oil temp gauge.

The center canted portion will be fastened with screws into countersunk rivnuts for easy removal and access to wiring. Data logger goes to the right of the wheel. Waiting for a new 12.5" steering wheel so I can locate the fire handle and starter button, also brake bias control kit coming Friday. so will put that in the center panel. Shift lights are in the data logger display.

Still have to weld in attach brackets for the 6 point harness anti-submarine straps, also have the window net attach brackets to weld in, but getting closer to a point where I can start riveting aluminum in, but I'm going to wait until I get the engine back in.

IMG_8881.jpgIMG_8877.jpgIMG_8874.jpg
    Jim Phoenix

Post Thanks / Like
    Interestingly, I just checked the Coupe-R kit contents on the FFR website:

• Complete set of 7 Autometer brand electronic gauges, with connectors, terminals and installation kit. Includes the following gauges:

• Speedometer
    • Tachometer
    • Oil Pressure Gauge
    • Water Temperature Gauge
    • Fuel Level Gauge
    • Voltmeter
    • Oil Temperature Gauge

So, my memory was correct, but the kit order form does not list the oil temp gauge. I'll send FFR an email asking them to update or clarify their intent.
    Jim Phoenix