BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gen 1 Emergency Brake Adjustment

Post Thanks / Like

Gen 1 Emergency Brake Adjustment

I have a Gen 1 car with the funky E-Brake set up that has very little fine adjust other that through the handle. After making the tension adjust through the handle as instructed the E-Brake cables seem too tight. The car rolls fine upon initial startup but after driving the car for a bit, using the brakes with the pressure building up it seems like the rear brakes are sticking some as I slow. I've had a slight rear wheel vibration at low speeds that I think is tied to the rear brakes sticking some. Is it possible that this low speed vibration & sticky brakes is tied to the E-Brake cables being too tight?

Thanks,
    Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    It's possible. Although you'd think if the ebrake is a little too snug then the pad would wear and the problem would correct itself. You can always back off the ebrake adjustment and see if the problem persists.

What rear brakes do you have? I have the Wilwood upgrade and you can adjust the eBrake at the caliper and not have to screw around with the handle and connections...

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using the 94 GT rear rotors (10.5") & calipers. It seems, now that I think of it, the sticky feeling rear brakes when coming to a stop & the low speed vibration, does seems to occur after using the E-Brake. The E-Brake that came with the Gen 1 car did not have a way to make fine adjustments of the cable tensions. If I remember correctly it was really tough to get the cables connected to the calipers & E-Brake handle because there was practically no slack in the cables & no way to create slacks other than adjusting the mounting position of the E-Brake handle. I agree that a snug brake pad should loosen after some wear occurs. I'm just relating two issues I'm experiencing, slight vibration at low speeds & the sticky feeling brakes when coming to a stop, to one cause. As you said, I can always back off the E-Brake adjustment, or just disconnect the cables, to see if the problem goes away.