Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Great Lakes Area Track Days?

Post Thanks / Like

Great Lakes Area Track Days?

Looking to find track time to push my MKIV. Initially going to attend a number of autocross events to get a better feel for the car in a safer environment. After that and more seat time, I'm interested in getting on a track for some more spirited driving. Being newer to high performance driving, I'm trying to do it the best way. Taking a different car to Pittsburgh for some HPDE1 laps with an in car instructor, etc. Will do that a few times.
    Specific to the FFR MKIV, a couple questions:

- I have a single roll bar, which means I can not have a ride along instructor. Are there tracks that allow "follow the leader" style instruction?
    - Are there nearby cobra clubs that rent track time?
    - Most of the places I've found nearby would require a certain amount of seat time on track before I can run without an instructor, which would preclude me from participating due to the above
    - Not planning to go 10 10ths, but want to push it harder than appropriate on highways.
    - anything else I should consider? I know that's open ended, and very newby questions.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    I've run with SVT Mustang Group at Gingermann in South Haven. Only had a single roll bar at thee time. But this was 20 years ago. One instructor would ride another would not but lead-follow was an option. I switched to a full width bar the following year. Grattan is another good track.

Some groups won't pass a full width roll bar due to the "broomstick" test.

There are also noise levels to contend with. Neither Gingermann nor Grattan are really fussy about noise. Waterford Hills is a no-go.

A local friend has run Grattan with a single bar in the last few years.

Different groups have their own rules.

Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

3. Thanks mmklaxer thanked for this post