Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Throttle Cable

Post Thanks / Like

Throttle Cable

Does anyone have helpful advice about shortening the throttle cable that’s about 18” too long.

Tia, Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree it is too long. But I figured I would have to buy a new one where the length is customizable. I'll watch this thread and see if there are any ideas for the stock cable.
    1990 Mustang 5.0 5sp, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 1935 Extended Cab Build, 347 & 4R70W

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DonImbimbo View Post
    I agree it is too long. But I figured I would have to buy a new one where the length is customizable. I'll watch this thread and see if there are any ideas for the stock cable.
    I ended up cutting mine. You can pull off the sleeve ends and reuse them. If you cut the sleeve with a piece of cable inside it keeps the inner lining from collapsing. I pulled out the cable, cut the sleeve a little long then inserted a piece of cable back in for the final cut.

Lewis

4. Thanks DonImbimbo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I'm going to give it a try.
    1990 Mustang 5.0 5sp, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 1935 Extended Cab Build, 347 & 4R70W

Post Thanks / Like
    Lew,

I shortened the cable, took out almost 24 inches.

IMG_1397 (Medium).JPG

I had trouble taking an end off, it was crimped pretty tight. I decided to cut it off with a cutoff wheel on the dremel, about 1/2 inch back from the end. Then I took the end to a bench vice and pulled out the remaining cable with vice grips.

Next step was to drill out the end piece with a 7/32 drill. I stuffed the shortened cable in and re-crimped with a coax crimper.

Worked great!

Thanks for posting it gave me the confidence to try.

Don