Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Koni Coil Over Shocks

Post Thanks / Like

Koni Coil Over Shocks

I have not been able to find out which of the Koni shocks are for the front and/or rear. Can someone please let me know if the front are Koni Part # 82 2611 or the 82 2610 part number.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I'm not answering the question you're asking here but here it goes. I built a Roadster and had Red Koni Shocks, the shock body was the same all around - the difference was in the weight rating of the coil spring. It's printed on the spring itself.
    It was recommended to me to check the "rebound setting" on the Koni shocks before assembly, they are supposed to be set to the 1st notch when shipped from the factory - some builders have mentioned they found some weren't my understanding is to have them all set to notch 1 if you're just regular street driving, performance driving is another story. There is a video showing how to set them on the Koni site.
    Hope this helps.
    2022 MKIV BP347, SniperEFI, IRS. Delivered June 22, Engine install Jan 23, first start May 23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff - thanks. I also built a MK4 with the red Koni shocks which were manually adjustable. They were basically the same shock for front and rear.

On this build, the front and rears are different FF Part Numbers and Koni Part numbers. The manual states that the front shocks have been preset for both rebound and compression by the factory - hence my dilemma.

The springs are well marked so no confusion there.

Thanks for the reply!

Mark
    2021 delivered MK4 Roadster, Blueprint 302, Tremec TKO - 2022 complete
    2024 delivered 35 Hot Rod Truck Kit, LS3 with auto transmission - project underway

Post Thanks / Like
    same question - which is which - look up on the internet and the both say rear. In the Parts inventory is lists the box as shocks

Post Thanks / Like
    My truck kit from a couple years ago came with four Koni 82 2610's. So Factory Five changed something it seems. They should be able to answer.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    The manual says the rear springs are marked 250lbs. From what I recall the front shock extended length was a few inches longer than the rear

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the answer - The fronts are the long body shocks if you're using a straight rear axle. Would have been easy to put that somewhere for all of us Novices...... Maybe mark the box front or rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does your shocks have any numbers like these on them? 33978 KONI HOT ROD FRONT SHOCK / 33979 KONI HOT ROD REAR SHOCK

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
    Does your shocks have any numbers like these on them? 33978 KONI HOT ROD FRONT SHOCK / 33979 KONI HOT ROD REAR SHOCK
    Yes they do -
    82 2610 (under that 34 - 2022)
    82 2611 (under that 4 - 2023)

I think I have them on wrong, spring weight I have right at #400 in the front.
    But, the travel in the rear definitely is wrong. Shock_Space.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scspeedster View Post
    Yes they do -

That does look like a longer body length than I have in the back. Page 63 in the manual, it did say the longer shock body is for the rear. Kind of obscure location on the parts diagram.

shocks.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scspeedster View Post
    Yes they do -

FWIW, the rear shocks on my 33 are longer than the front shocks. The front springs are 400 lb/in and the rear springs are 250 lb/in.

Your picture shows the threaded sleeve in the lower position on the shock body. You need to move the snap ring on the shock body to the upper position so that the threaded sleeve is near the top of the shock body allowing you to adjust the spring preload.

12. Thanks scspeedster thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is one other thing to consider, depending on when you truck was manufactured, there are at least two different trailing arms. Mine are very short compared to the one shown in the manual. this will also affect the ride height and shock length.

This is the trailing arm shown in the build manual, clearly the shock mount point is higher than the differential mounting point.

Trailing arm from manual.PNG

This is the trailing arm from my 35 extended cab kit, the shock mount point is below the differential mounting point.

Trailing arm from kit.jpg

All things to consider when talking about shocks, stance and ride height.
    Last edited by Guardm16; 07-14-2024 at 09:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgc333 View Post
    FWIW, the rear shocks on my 33 are longer than the front shocks. The front springs are 400 lb/in and the rear springs are 250 lb/in.

Your picture shows the threaded sleeve in the lower position on the shock body. You need to move the snap ring on the shock body to the upper position so that the threaded sleeve is near the top of the shock body allowing you to adjust the spring preload.
    I didn't even know there was a higher sleeve position. I removed my shocks and set the sleeve to the upper position, (I was maxed out on adjustment just to get the truck level.) This give me much better stance and more adjustability, Thank you Dgc333.
    Last edited by Guardm16; 07-14-2024 at 10:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    While we are on the subject of shocks. How do you keep this from happening?

Front Shock.jpg

To get the front suspension set right, I had to lower the spring seat on the adjustment sleeve. Now, when I jack the front of the truck up, the shock extends beyond the length of the spring. Do I need limiting straps?
    Last edited by Guardm16; 07-14-2024 at 10:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100