Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  27
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steve's 35 Truck Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardm16 View Post
    ...I also noticed the down pipe on the passenger side was interfering with the starter mount in the bellhousing ... I ordered a 90 degree oil filter adapter, there was a small clearance issue wit the full size oil filter and the power steering motor.
    I have the same issue with the passenger side downpipe on my build ('33 HR, 302/AOD). How did you resolve it? It seems no matter how much I move things around, the only way to get stuff in the correct location/orientation is going to require bashing-in the downpipe to get it closer to the trans.

Again I have the same issue with the oil filter hitting the PS Motor. I think to resolve it I'm going to "adjust" the engine mounts with a die grinder to slot the holes, and put spacers between the mounts and the block. This will move the engine up and forward to gain me clearance from the PS Motor and get my driveshaft angle correct.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

2. Thanks Guardm16 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone ever used on of these before? Are they any good? I need to move the Oil Filter, it is in the way of the Power Steering motor. This would turn the filter 90 degrees forward.

oil filter 90.PNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TxMike64 View Post
    I have the same issue with the passenger side downpipe on my build ('33 HR, 302/AOD). How did you resolve it? It seems no matter how much I move things around, the only way to get stuff in the correct location/orientation is going to require bashing-in the downpipe to get it closer to the trans.

Again I have the same issue with the oil filter hitting the PS Motor. I think to resolve it I'm going to "adjust" the engine mounts with a die grinder to slot the holes, and put spacers between the mounts and the block. This will move the engine up and forward to gain me clearance from the PS Motor and get my driveshaft angle correct.
    On the downpipe, I used MAP gas to heat the pipe and then used a 1.5 inch Impact socket as a "die" and drove it into the pipe. I used a 6" extension to keep my hands out of the way. It only took a few good hits on the socket. I only needed about 1/4 inch or so of a linear dimple. I looked at the Driver's side headers from BBK, there is a square indentation on one of the pipes, I assume that is for steering shaft clearance on some models. Anyway, the dimple I did is not a large as that one, so I figured; good for the Goose"

BBK Headers.PNG

I ordered on of the 90 degree oil filter adapters to clear the power steering motor, Still would like to hear feedback from others on that before I put it on $15K engine.

oil filter 90.PNG

I also don't have as much room from the crank pully to the steering rack, I don't think I could move the engine forward much. I have CVF Racing serpentine belts and it is 8 ribs wide, therefore further forward on the chassis.
    Last edited by Guardm16; 06-13-2024 at 04:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    There was an episode of Engine Masters where they beat the crap out of multiple header primary tubes and saw zero reduction in power. I think because you're not really reducing the cross-section area - only deforming it's shape - that the flow volume/velocity is unaffected. I have no qualms about doing it, other than I don't want it to look bad.

You should have no concerns about running that filter adapter - they've been used for years in performance applications. LMR and Summit have pretty good prices on them. I do like the design of the old cast style from Ford Motorsport (I guess they call it Ford Performance or Ford Racing now) like THIS instead of the new billet one, but it's not available anymore. I do like to Summit one, only because it's black. Either one should be fine - just make sure it's clean inside with no burrs from threading and it should pose no risk to your new motor.

Ah, yeah, those accessory drives look nice, but are quite large and bulky IMO. I'm using an Explorer timing cover, water pump, and crank pully/balancer - it is all very short and compact. I designed/machined by own alternator mount and combination idler mount / coil mount. The coil you see in my picture is a Hyperspark coil, I just removed the bracket and mounted it to my bracket.

PXL_20240610_184650199.jpg PXL_20240610_184630914.jpg PXL_20240610_184810476.jpg
    Last edited by TxMike64; 06-14-2024 at 01:59 PM.
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    TxMike64 wrote, "There was an episode of Engine Masters where they beat the crap out of multiple header primary tubes and saw zero reduction in power. I think because you're not really reducing the cross-section area - only deforming it's shape - that the flow volume/velocity is unaffected. I have no qualms about doing it, other than I don't want it to look bad."

While the down pipe was in place and touching the edge of the starter blister on the bell housing, I used a sharpie to mark a line showing the contact patch. I was able to align my big socket with the mark to produce the desired dimple. I had a stack of leather welding gloves under the down pipe while it was on the shop floor for the beating. lol. Surprisingly, when the MAP Gas was applied, the sharpie line never really burned off completely, it turned a light gray color but remained visible. The downpipe did go through the color change as it heated: Blue, Yellow etc. But, returned to the nice ceramic "chrome" look once it cooled. The dimple lined up well and is not visible at all.

7. Likes TxMike64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, progress is being made. The bracket for the Coil has been made and installed. The plug wire separators are installed. The fuel line and return are complete. I rolled her out of the garage a bit and back in, man this this is easy to push around, like rolling a tire.

Left.jpg
    Right.jpg
    Sun.jpg

I have a few friends on their way, to help put the cab on tonight. Then the fun starts, fitting the doors, all the wiring, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not familiar with what you show, but i re-located my oil filter to the firewall, below the steering rod.

Post Thanks / Like
    The cab is back on. Now it looks like a truck.

Cab 2.jpg
    Cab 3.jpg
    cab 4.jpg
    Cab 6.jpg

Sorry for the Cheezy selfie, but I am damn proud.
    Last edited by Guardm16; 07-02-2024 at 12:30 PM.

11. Likes Salty Chief 35, TxMike64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now, get the doors fitted.....they are Bixxh

Post Thanks / Like
    Radiator issues. It looks to me that the "Choice" of ride height makes a difference on the grill as well. I never considered this when selecting the "Higher" height. I needed the ground clearance as my subdivision has several large speed bumps. Using the lower holes on the frame to raise ride, also means the radiator mount uses the lower mounting point on the chassis and thus the entire grill is lower relative to the engine bay and cab of the truck. (If any of that makes sense)

Attachment 201518

Because the radiator is lower on the chassis, the lower radiator hose appears to point directly at the lower suspension cross plate that ties the two front lower A arms tot he frame. Not sure how to solve this one without cutting the plate in the middle.

lower hose.jpg
    Last edited by Guardm16; 07-08-2024 at 12:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So Lew suggested using the upper hole for the radiator mount and the lower for the suspension. Is this the answer everyone has used? Thanks again Lew.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone ever used on of these before? Are they any good? I need to move the Oil Filter, it is in the way of the Power Steering motor. This would turn the filter 90 degrees forward.

oil filter 90.PNG
    On my 33 with 347sbf, I found a smaller oil filter that fit with plenty of clearance. Don't know #as car was sold but look around. I used Wix only

Post Thanks / Like
    So here it is after 5 months of work, the first start of my 35 truck. Prestige Motorsports 427 with 536 HP. Holley Sniper 2 Fuel Injection. Started on the first crank, great work on the engine build guys.

https://youtu.be/O0JQ-pZeQXU

Hope the link works.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was hooking up the throttle cable ball link on my Holley Sniper 2 and broke the ball link. Anyone have a good source for these cable ball links? I stripped one. I can find several that use threaded rod, but none for the cable input.

Ball Link.PNG

Actually I need the correct size on the ball side, but I couldn't find a picture of that in the build manual
    Last edited by Guardm16; 08-16-2024 at 02:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was hooking up the throttle cable ball link on my Holley Sniper 2 and broke the ball link. Anyone have a good source for these cable ball links? I stripped one. I can find several that use threaded rod, but none for the cable input.

Ball Link.PNG

Actually I need the correct size on the ball side, but I couldn't find a picture of that in the build manual
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lok-wca-1034

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you J1M, but Ouch $34.00 plus shipping, a bit steep.

This is the part I am looking for, I can find several that are 10mm and larger. I measured the one in the kit as 1/4" ball or 6.35mm.

ball stud.PNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you J1M, but Ouch $34.00 plus shipping, a bit steep.

This is the part I am looking for, I can find several that are 10mm and larger. I measured the one in the kit as 1/4" ball or 6.35mm.

ball stud.PNG
    ACE hardware has some ends that might work, also check NAPA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
    ACE hardware has some ends that might work, also check NAPA
    I checked both. LOL Ace had complete ball ends and the threaded link, but they were not separable and could not attach to the cable. Napa looked at me and asked what carburetor it came from, I said that doesn't matter, it's the cable link I need, it can bolt onto any carburetor. Then the guy disappeared to the back for about 10 minutes, reemerged with nothing more than a shake of his head, handed me my part and disappeared again.

22. Likes Just 1 More liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like
    These are going to look awesome on that truck!

Post Thanks / Like
    grill and hood.jpggrill and hood.jpg

Things are progressing slowly:
    The parking brake is installed, I had to fabricate a link for that. The exhaust "H" pipe took up some of the space needed for the supplied connection.
    Bed is going on. I added a piece of 1.5x1.5 aluminum angle to the "Cab to bed" area, makes a much better fit.
    The AOD is completely hooked up with B&M shifter and the Lokar TV cable is installed. I hope this weekend to be able to adjust the line pressure and go GO-KARTING!!!!!

More pictures to follow this weekend

cable link.png
    So here is the link I made for the e-brake. I put in an "H" pipe crossover on the exhaust so I had to create a way to not burn up the cables. The H pipe takes up the same real estate as the cable mount. So I moved it aft and added a length of 3/8 stainless steel all -thread and stainless steel tube as a guide. Connected to eash end of the all-thread are ball links for flexibility. The system works very well.
    Last edited by Guardm16; 09-02-2024 at 04:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go-Kart complete. The first drive went well. I spent two days tinkering to get the transmission line pressure correct and the radiator fan hooked up and set to come on at a good temp. My wife added a little music to celebrate. Another milestone met.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Bu6CY3BrmXE

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/uRNR3bo-iEE

27. Likes Just 1 More, TxMike64 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12