Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Shock spacers

Post Thanks / Like

Shock spacers

Any trick on installing the shock spacers on Koni Shocks?
    Can't seem to wedge the spacer in between the shock and mounting bracket?

Post Thanks / Like
    I attributed the tight space to the powder coating, But I was not willing to sand that off to create the space. I used "inside calipers" to measure the space, then used the bench grinder to remove the materiel from both spacers equally. I held the spacers with small vice grips and took off a little at a time to reach the desired number. It was time consuming but made assembly easy.

3. Thanks scspeedster thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can use a piece of allthread with 2 nuts in between the ears. Hold one nut and turn the other to slightly spread the ears apart to give you some working room. When you install the shock bolt...it will bring the ears back to where they need to be.

5. Thanks scspeedster thanked for this post
    Likes RoadRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RuffShod View Post
    You can use a piece of allthread with 2 nuts in between the ears. Hold one nut and turn the other to slightly spread the ears apart to give you some working room. When you install the shock bolt...it will bring the ears back to where they need to be.
    I did try using a brake caliper compressing tool, but that was more trouble than it was worth

Post Thanks / Like
    I wound up measuring with calipers and grinding the spacers to fit.
    1990 Mustang 5.0 5sp, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 1935 Extended Cab Build, 347 & 4R70W

Post Thanks / Like
    I made room for the spacers on my 33HR. Drive something (anything tapered) down in between the two holes and spread the steel apart. a 1/16th of an inch is plenty. when you torque the bolts it goes back exactly where it should.

Post Thanks / Like
    I second this. Very easy and effective.

Post Thanks / Like
    This. Also often used when fitting the suspension arms.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100