Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: NE Wis Mk4 Build

Post Thanks / Like

NE Wis Mk4 Build

I spent a lot of hours thinking about building a roadster. In high school I had a '69 Mustang that was loud and fast. My uncle really got me interested in Fords and I read every Hot Rod magazine I could get my hands on. I did buy a '95 SVT Cobra and enjoyed that for a while and then a family came along and the Cobra was sold with the promise that someday it would be replaced. Well, I called in the debt and little did my wife know that it was going to be a Cobra kit car.

I spent a lot of time last fall watching ie427 videos, reading the forums, reading through some really good build threads such as Papa's, and learned there are some guys out there that know every nut and bracket. I've been reading the forum every day learning about the trials and tribulations and the successes. The forum has also help me understand why I would want certain upgrades or not. All of this led me to make the decision that the FFR kit and community would give the car I was hoping for.

So, here I am ready to take delivery next weekend!

Contacted Mike Forte and ordered parts - check
    Contacted Breeze and ordered parts - check
    Contacted Factory 5 and ordered kit - check
    Contacted Steward Transport and arranged transport - check
    Build body buck and frame dolly - check
    Hauled my old Snap-on tool box out of the basement - check
    Added lighting to the garage - check
    Fixed furnace in the garage and insulated - check
    Had Dave grant me more access so I can start my build thread - check

I'm ready to begin!

Set up:
    MK4 complete kit
    Power steering
    Leather seats
    Vintage gauges
    Heater kit (Wisconsin gets chilly)
    Set up for a 347 carbed stroker/TKX
    8.8" solid axle
    17" Halibrand wheels
    Wilwood brakes
    Breeze radiator support and shroud
    Breeze front batter box
    Forte mechanical throttle kit
    Drop trunk
    Self cancel directional unit
    Several more items I'm sure as part of scope creep

2. Likes fauxbra5.0, BrewCityCobra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Welcome to the club!

Greg
    Built an early MkIII years ago, sold years ago.
    Got Corvettes out of my system, and now back after 18 years to build a MkIV.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker (in the process of building it now), EFI System - Edelbrock Pro Flow 4, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes
    Here to learn, contribute, and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Another Wisconsin builder - welcome!

There is absolutely nothing more helpful than spending time on the board and just reading build threads and questions. I do it all the time and am regularly amazed at all the new ideas/tips/tricks that pop up.

I'm a bit south of you (greater Milwaukee) but my family is all from the Fox Valley. If you have any questions or are just looking to link up with a fellow Wisconsin builder feel free to DM.

Good luck!
    BUILD THREAD: The Brew City Cobra

Current Build: MK4 Complete Kit, Delivered December 2021; First Start November 9, 2022; Go-Cart November 23, 2022; Carbureted 427W, TKX, IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrewCityCobra View Post
    Another Wisconsin builder - welcome!

There is absolutely nothing more helpful than spending time on the board and just reading build threads and questions. I do it all the time and am regularly amazed at all the new ideas/tips/tricks that pop up.

I'm a bit south of you (greater Milwaukee) but my family is all from the Fox Valley. If you have any questions or are just looking to link up with a fellow Wisconsin builder feel free to DM.

Good luck!
    Thanks! If your in the area stop in and check out the progress. I met up with another Mk4 build up in Neenah this past weekend and I understand there are a couple more. Slowly building the population around here.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gbranham View Post
    Congrats! Welcome to the club!

Greg
    Thanks Greg. I've ready some of your build thread and it's fun to watch the progress of others.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Saturday July 20th, Eric from Stewart arrived. I wasn't sure if he would be able to get his truck down into my cul de sac but this guy handled that thing very well. Needless to say having a 53' tractor trailer pulling into a cul de sac isn't something that happens in our neighborhood. Almost every house had people coming out to see what the heck was happening. Eric was super easy to work with and we had the car and boxes unloaded in no time. Everyone wanted to come out and help carry boxes. The car fit flawlessly on the frame dolly I built and we were able to push/pull the car into the garage. Christmas in July!

Last edited by Oshkosh Rob; 08-26-2024 at 08:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. I have a Daytona coupe. I am starting an mk4 as well. Located in GB if you have questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbird View Post
    Welcome. I have a Daytona coupe. I am starting an mk4 as well. Located in GB if you have questions.
    You must have taken delivery just before me! Eric said that he was in GB and the guy already built a Daytona and got a MK4 to build.