BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  24
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GTM #30 Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing bro! Im getting one thats completed at times Im like man I wished I built it but then I see these type posts and then think Nam Im good! lol a man has got to know his limitations! I would have never been able to complete it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTM_Vet View Post
    Thanks for sharing bro! Im getting one thats completed at times Im like man I wished I built it but then I see these type posts and then think Nam Im good! lol a man has got to know his limitations! I would have never been able to complete it!
    I think a lot of people get overwhelmed building one of these cars. That's why you see a lot of them for sale unfinished. My car was manufactured in 2006, and I'm the third owner of it now with it still being only half finished. I do this stuff for a living and even sometimes I think to myself what have I gotten myself into. It can definitely be overwhelming.
    Sal Mennella
    Unfinished GTM #30 FFR - in progress!
    Roadster 5132 - sold

Post Thanks / Like
    Another little update on #30.

Acquired some more parts.

Got my new gauges that I had custom made. New Vintage USA CFR gauges in blue. Custom 200mph speedo. Tach, water temp, oil pressure, fuel level, and air/fuel. Turn signals and warning lamps built into the displays.

Got the Brandwood cable shifter setup. And Shane's brackets.

Got my new billet buttons that I had custom made. Engine start, hazard, fog lamps, and Air Cups activation buttons. They have an LED ring that you can setup in 5 different colors.

I rebuilt both brake masters this weekend. Got the brakes all bled out and pedal feels great. Got the big 6 piston setup on the rears to match the fronts. C6 Z06 rotors to keep the factory E brake operation. Got the 5/8" clutch master on, as well as the Porsche slave cylinder. Part numbers for the slave and the required banjo fitting and bolt in the pics below.

Making some progress slowly but surely.

Sal Mennella
    Roadster 5132 - sold

4. Likes VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Always loved it when new parts show up. It's Christmas all year round building a GTM

6. Likes VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Always loved it when new parts show up. It's Christmas all year round building a GTM
    If you mean broke from buying "presents" all year, then yes
    Sal Mennella
    Roadster 5132 - sold

8. Likes VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got some more work done on the GTM.

- Redesigned the cable shifter brackets at the back end, for proper shifter operation. See my other thread about it.

- Mounted the cable shifter box at the front, using Shane's brackets (mounted a bit different than intended).

- Replaced the cut off hoses plugged with metal caps on the fuel tanks with nice silicone caps.

- Replaced the cut off and plugged hoses on the fuel ports on the tanks with Racetronix block off adapters.

Sal Mennella
    Roadster 5132 - sold

10. Likes VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you've been following my build, then you've seen that I had to replace/rebuild the three masters for the brakes and the clutch. Also replaced the clutch slave, and upgraded to the Wilwood brakes. And of course the cable shifter. This weekend I got to test out if it all works! The car shifts, moves, and stops.

I also forgot to previously mention I did the CTSV alternator setup, and added a Racetronix fuel pump in the tank.

Sal Mennella
    Roadster 5132 - sold

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice upgrades!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

13. Likes Power Surge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just thought I would post up how the FFR PDG GTM belt is routed. I am fitting a new diameter damper here so the belt is too short.

This setup has worked well over the years as we run two alternators to have redundant systems, but one could easily substitute the lower alternator for a A/C compressor. All the brackets are GM OEM cast aluminum and as such are extremely rigid. I will try and get part numbers if people are interested?

Belt Routing R.jpg
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    Just thought I would post up how the FFR PDG GTM belt is routed. I am fitting a new diameter damper here so the belt is too short.

This setup has worked well over the years as we run two alternators to have redundant systems, but one could easily substitute the lower alternator for a A/C compressor. All the brackets are GM OEM cast aluminum and as such are extremely rigid. I will try and get part numbers if people are interested?

Belt Routing R.jpg
    Thanks for the insight on your setup, Crash! I will be running a supercharger, so I am going to need to be creative with my belt setup. But I'll have to figure it out once the blower is on.
    Sal Mennella
    Roadster 5132 - sold

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    Nice upgrades!
    I'm trying!
    Sal Mennella
    Roadster 5132 - sold

17. Likes VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You need to be very careful using a blower on a mid engine setup. We raced against a Ford GT and they would throw belts regularly. When they did that the race was over for them as it was near impossible to access the belt on the GT.

I contemplated a super charger setup and came to the conclusion that a larger belt and possibly even a cogged belt with the use of a one way clutch hub and a blow off valve would be what I would try. I had come up with the idea of the one way bearing hub "clutch" and then saw that exact product at SEMA the next year. IIRC it was an ATI product.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, here is the ATI product...

https://www.atiracing.com/superpulley/

Again, I believe you would necessarily have to also use a blow off valve as the supercharger would still be spinning when the throttle is closed and therefore still making boost that you would need to vent. I did not get that far into this concept, but I don't think it would be that difficult to make work.
    Last edited by crash; 07-17-2024 at 11:31 AM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, here is the ATI product...

https://www.atiracing.com/superpulley/
    I've been building supercharged cars for 30 years.... and I have never seen that pulley before. That is a pretty slick part!

Again, I believe you would necessarily have to also use a blow off valve as the supercharger would still be spinning when the throttle is closed and therefore still making boost that you would need to vent. I did not get that far into this concept, but I don't think it would be that difficult to make work.
    Centrifugal blowers definitely need a blow off/bybass valve. I will be running a positive displacement unit, so it's got an internal bypass valve.
    Sal Mennella
    Roadster 5132 - sold

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone see any issues with running this layout for the battery and air tank?

I really like the way both sit in these positions. Tank fills that space nicely, and battery looks like it was supposed to go in that spot, plus easy access.

A/C accumulator will be moved to the corner of the frame near the battery.

Sal Mennella
    Roadster 5132 - sold

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that all looks like it should work out very well. The build I'm working on right now....I actually had to mount the AC accumulator where you're talking about.....right below where the wiper motor mounts and it worked out fine. Have to make new AC hoses, of course.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Layout looks great, only feedback is that battery. I started my build with the exact same one. About 2 years after I bought it, it died. I sent it in to Braille for warranty and although they did give me credit for it, they told me it’s not really a good battery for the application. I ended up taking their recommendation and going to the extreme and buying the ML30C. Pretty penny, but boy it’s flawless. I can’t remember if the GreenLite version would have covered me, I just decided to go all out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Layout looks great, only feedback is that battery. I started my build with the exact same one. About 2 years after I bought it, it died. I sent it in to Braille for warranty and although they did give me credit for it, they told me it’s not really a good battery for the application. I ended up taking their recommendation and going to the extreme and buying the ML30C. Pretty penny, but boy it’s flawless. I can’t remember if the GreenLite version would have covered me, I just decided to go all out.
    I remember you mentioning that before. Was that new one dimensionally the same? If so, I might just use this one (since it's new) until it quits, and then switch over.
    Sal Mennella
    Roadster 5132 - sold

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
    I remember you mentioning that before. Was that new one dimensionally the same? If so, I might just use this one (since it's new) until it quits, and then switch over.
    Exactly the same dimensionally, so will fit in that mount.

26. Likes Power Surge liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12