Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lewma's Gen3 Coupe Almost Built Thread - Now Road Legal

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimStone View Post
    Mark,

Thanks for the response. Lots of good info there.

Happy to hear you and your son are enjoying the end product of your labors. It certainly looks and sounds like a beast. Whether it's 625 hp or 530, it'll be a handful and require a delicate right foot.

You do have me worried about all the tuning concerns. I'm a complete novice when it comes to that. I am planning on using Terminator X Max EFI/ECU which has self-learning capability, but I'm sure that opens a whole other set of potential problems and won't be just set-it-and-forget-it. I hate farming anything out, but I'll probably need profession help when it comes to that.
    Off topic here but the X is anything but self containing. It’ll get you started but it still needs fine tuning. When you’re at that point pay “projectgattago” Andrew, the $500 to tune it remotely. Additionally the X will give you waaayy more data points, additional sensors, two step, trans control, traction control etc. it’s a no brainer that you’ll be going with the right choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbl7td View Post
    Off topic here but the X is anything but self containing. It’ll get you started but it still needs fine tuning. When you’re at that point pay “projectgattago” Andrew, the $500 to tune it remotely. Additionally the X will give you waaayy more data points, additional sensors, two step, trans control, traction control etc. it’s a no brainer that you’ll be going with the right choice.
    Thanks. $500 would be a bargain to get it tuned correctly
    Gen 3 Coupe #576 - "Project Deimos"
    Ordered: 2/14/2024
    Received: 5/24/2024
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...upe-has-landed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lewma View Post
    I'm a complete novice too when it comes to tuning but I'm reading a lot and taking it slow. Documenting each change then reverting the change if needed. There's a load of videos to watch where they explain it step by step. I can already see the improvement and the logs say I'm moving slowly in the right direction.
    Would you care to share a log and your tune file? I'm interested to see how comparable it is to my own LS427 tune.
    MK4, 427LS3, IRS, T56 Magnum, Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Its Bruce View Post
    Would you care to share a log and your tune file? I'm interested to see how comparable it is to my own LS427 tune.
    Bruce

This is a work in progress. started on MAF tuning only at this point.

Please comment as I'm a complete novice at this point.

tune.hpt
    log.hpl

mark
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand.
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21, CA SB100 Registered 8/27/24 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering. Album Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Bruce

This is a work in progress. started on MAF tuning only at this point.

Please comment as I'm a complete novice at this point.

tune.hpt
    log.hpl

mark
    I had issues DL'ing the files so I commented on your HPTuners post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bruce, I saw you reply on hptuners. Thanks for doing that. Your tune looks very different to mine. Who did your tune ?

Also, what engine do you have? Is it the GM427LS package from Blueprint ?

thanks
    mark
    Last edited by lewma; 06-20-2024 at 09:48 AM.
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand.
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21, CA SB100 Registered 8/27/24 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering. Album Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Bruce, I saw you reply on hptuners. Thanks for doing that. Your tune looks very different to mine. Who did your tune ?

Also, what engine do you have? Is it the GM427LS package from Blueprint ?

thanks
    mark
    I'm doing my own tune (and it's still in process) but it's on top of the base tune sent from BP.

It's the BP 427LS, but I'll note that the first computer BP sent me was corrupt and didn't have the right tune file pre-flashed. Needless to say, between that and seeing your tune with the wrong injector data, I'm less than impressed with BP's handling of the ECM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm doing my own tune (and it's still in process) but it's on top of the base tune sent from BP.

It's the BP 427LS, but I'll note that the first computer BP sent me was corrupt and didn't have the right tune file pre-flashed. Needless to say, between that and seeing your tune with the wrong injector data, I'm less than impressed with BP's handling of the ECM.
    Bruce

Would you be willing to share the base tune you received from BP ? I'd like to compare that with the base I received from them. It's a little scary to me that they are way off for the same engine

thanks
    mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Would you mind sharing both of the tunes with me too? I have yet to start my BP LS427, but once i get around to it, few extra maps would really help to see if there are any irregularities or problems.

@lewma - What air filter did you use for your car? Is the intake pipe custom made, what size is it? I have ordered the LS intake kit from BP, but on my first mock up when i had the engine in the car, it wouldn't fit. The filter itself is massive and it won't fit due to the battery getting in the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nick729 View Post
    @lewma - What air filter did you use for your car? Is the intake pipe custom made, what size is it? I have ordered the LS intake kit from BP, but on my first mock up when i had the engine in the car, it wouldn't fit. The filter itself is massive and it won't fit due to the battery getting in the way.
    Nick. The intake you see in my pics did not work. The MAF sensor was too close to a bend and was causing all kinds of issues. The intake I have in there now is made from 4" intake tubes cut down to size so it will fit in the chassis. I have it pointing down towards the power steering rack and it just fits. The most important part is to get at least 6" of straight tube for the MAF sensor and make sure the sensor is at least 3" from the filter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Would you mind sharing both of the tunes with me too? I have yet to start my BP LS427, but once i get around to it, few extra maps would really help to see if there are any irregularities or problems.
    Nick. I'm trying to get some support out of Blueprint Engines on this. Both myself and Bruce seem to have received ECUs with wrong data flashed into them. Bruce has already highlighted some inconsistencies and I'm trying to get information out of Blueprint too. Once we get this fixed up I'll definitely share what I have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Painter is done, hopefully bringing her home tomorrow if not raining
    Attachment 194886
    Very nice!!

Post Thanks / Like
    EFI tuning can be a bit of a challenge in my experience, and easily confounded by "the build".

I bought a 347 c.i. SBF for my coupe from BP, with Sniper. At some point I decided to install one of Jim Inglese's Weber-style EFI 8-stacks, complete with Holley TerminatorX, Holley Dual-sync Distributor, MSD ignition, ..., etc. That was a steep learning curve, in part because of part shortages during Covid, and having to modify a TermX targeting a Fox-body Mustang to work with a different set of sensors (e.g.: IAC) that my eight-stack was rigged with. Let's say, I have learned a lot about tuning the Holley system.

Spend a bit of time digging in to the EFI tuning. It will pay long-term benefits. And dig into the BP engines stuff a bit too. For example, the distributors that are part of their turn-key engines, are their own knock-off of a Holley distributor. The springs and advance curves and all those bits are a bit unique.

I had problems with leaky FFR ball flange header couplers causing a false lean signal to the closed-loop Holley EFI system. I have ditched the FFR header / side-pipe exhaust and have moved to GasN. It has been a learning path I did not anticipate, but I have learned a lot about EFI as a benefit.

I look forward to hearing your report out on how your beasty breaks in :-)

Great thread!

Post Thanks / Like

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...357#post786357

15. Likes lewma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nick. I'm trying to get some support out of Blueprint Engines on this. Both myself and Bruce seem to have received ECUs with wrong data flashed into them. Bruce has already highlighted some inconsistencies and I'm trying to get information out of Blueprint too. Once we get this fixed up I'll definitely share what I have.
    Any update?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I spoke to Blueprint and they sent me their latest tune. The tune was very similar to the original tune that I pulled from the engine. The injector table data still does not indicate 42lb injectors and their response was that they knew the data was incorrect but they compensated for the lower injector data numbers with other tables in the tune. I've been out of town since receiving that information and I plan on loading up both tunes and seeing where the difference is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    On another topic, received my SB100 sequence number the other day. If they are issued in order, i received #72 out of 500 in July so plenty of numbers left each year. Got my virtual smog referee appointment next tuesday then just need to schedule the in-person visit then hopefully done with registration!

Post Thanks / Like
    I spoke to Blueprint and they sent me their latest tune. The tune was very similar to the original tune that I pulled from the engine. The injector table data still does not indicate 42lb injectors and their response was that they knew the data was incorrect but they compensated for the lower injector data numbers with other tables in the tune. I've been out of town since receiving that information and I plan on loading up both tunes and seeing where the difference is.
    That is certainly not a best practice, but I suppose if you never expect to change the injectors to a different type/flow then it'll never be an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That is certainly not a best practice, but I suppose if you never expect to change the injectors to a different type/flow then it'll never be an issue.
    I agree. I'm planning on unwinding it all but need to read more first about the tuning process before I start on that effort. I bought the Greg Banish engine tuning book here and i'm also making my way through a GM LS Gen4 engine tuning online course with Evans Performance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my virtual smog referee appointment next tuesday then just need to schedule the in-person visit then hopefully done with registration!
    Virtual, damn that sound way too easy. Good luck, hope the smog check goes well.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan_C View Post
    Virtual, damn that sound way too easy. Good luck, hope the smog check goes well.
    This is virtual to make sure all the commifonia rules and regs have been satisfied before we get the honor of visiting a real smog ref in person

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well, the 'virtual smog referee' appointment is not going too well right now. A couple of years ago this was easy ( with the Coyote ). Single smog ref appt. He reviewed the paperwork, examined my PCV then I was done. No issues.

Now, with the LS3 based engine and a virtual appointment by an assistant to check over my paperwork, that assistant is bent out of shape with the PCV hookup that I have. According to him, I should have a hose running from my rear driver side valve cover to the clean air supply. That goes against GM and BluePrint that both say leave the rear side capped off then run a hose from the front passenger side valve cover to the clean air supply.

Anyone with an LS3 tangled with the CA smog referee lately ? Any words of wisdom to get passed this ?

thanks!
    mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Move out of Cali.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Move out of Cali.
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm from Cali, so I have immunity.

But seriously, either show them the GMPP instructions to defend your position or route it like they want and change it back after inspection. It's not going to hurt anything temporarily.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bruce, you got room at your place ? I'm packing up now

I have immunity too. I lived in Houston 93-96

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Communicated with the smog referee one level higher than the guy on the phone. Seemingly we're good to go when it comes to PCV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bruce, you got room at your place ? I'm packing up now

I have immunity too. I lived in Houston 93-96
    Lol. Glad you got it sorted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Lewma,

Was wondering your thoughts on the stock FFR side pipes with the LS427. From your Google album vids, it sounds pretty awesome. In person, does it sound pleasant? Would you consider going with Gas'N? Obviously it's loud, but that's expected.

Whenever Gas'N goes on sale I think about getting their pipes, but if the stock are okay I'd rather save the $.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JimStone View Post
    Hey Lewma,

Was wondering your thoughts on the stock FFR side pipes with the LS427. From your Google album vids, it sounds pretty awesome. In person, does it sound pleasant? Would you consider going with Gas'N? Obviously it's loud, but that's expected.

Whenever Gas'N goes on sale I think about getting their pipes, but if the stock are okay I'd rather save the $.

Thanks
    Jim

The stock pipes are loud but I have never heard any other type of pipe on a coupe so I have nothing to compare them to. Many people talk about the GasN pipes, I've never seen or heard them personally.

I just got the car legal in CA today, drove it to the smog inspector then back home again. About 1hr round trip. I bought ear plugs and I'm glad I wore them today. My ears are not ringing like they were over this past weekend when I was doing some test runs.

So overall it's loud but we all know that going into this. Its still a very fun car to drive!

mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Had my first start today with the Gen V. I gotta say, I’m underwhelmed. It’s amazing what an x-pipe and both exhausts pointing towards you does for sound, say on a corvette. I’m sure I’ll find it load while driving, but truthfully the tone is awful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I've never heard a coupe run in general, much less with an LS. Know anyone with an LS coupe with the Gas'N's?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thinking more on this, I'm wondering what the overall effect would be with different pipes. Yes the pipes are loud but there is also a lot of internal noise from the engine in the cabin bouncing around.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12