BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Seat install questions

Post Thanks / Like

Seat install questions

I’m installing my seats now that I have the body on the chassis. I have the Breeze seat mounts. I assume there should NOT be carpet under the seat base as that would/could result in movement even minor? Seems you’d want the closest/tightest fit as possible between the seat base and the floor pan?
    Just asking for some advice before installing the seat base.
    Thanks,
    -Bryan
    -Bryan
    Mk4 Roadster w/ IRS, Forte Gen 3 Coyote/TKX, Wilwood Brakes
    Build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...oyote-TKX-EFI)
    Ordered: 6/27/22, Delivered: 1/20/23, First Start 10/16/2023, Go-Cart 3/30/2024

Post Thanks / Like
    That would make sense to me, however, I think the carpet is thin enough that it may not matter. If nothing else, you could cut a small bit out of the carpet, use a spacer/washer to mount directly to the floor.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Breeze seat mounts and installed them over the carpet and Thermotec. Haven't even noticed it.
    My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

4. Thanks Junbug thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also installed the breeze bases over carpet and lizard skin. No problems at all. The seats are rock solid.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

6. Thanks Junbug thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    NO NO NO. If you have an accident the space caused be the carpet will allow the seat pan to act like a shear, move, and slice off the rivets
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Ford bulit millions of cars with the seats mounted on top of the carpet. I dont think it is an issue.
    Happy trails!

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't use the Breeze seat mounts but did mount my sliders on the carpet, can't even tell, just tighten the bolts good and tight.
    BUILD THREAD: The Brew City Cobra

Current Build: MK4 Complete Kit, Delivered December 2021; First Start November 9, 2022; Go-Cart November 23, 2022; Carbureted 427W, TKX, IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m guess could clarify… if using the Breeze provided stainless steel rivets, has anyone mounted the seat pans on carpet. I’d lean toward what Rich said and error on the side of caution. I can just cut the carpet around the seat base rather than risk shearing the rivets in an accident?
    -Bryan
    Mk4 Roadster w/ IRS, Forte Gen 3 Coyote/TKX, Wilwood Brakes
    Build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...oyote-TKX-EFI)
    Ordered: 6/27/22, Delivered: 1/20/23, First Start 10/16/2023, Go-Cart 3/30/2024

Post Thanks / Like
    So, last fall I was in a bad accident, lots of damage to the body and some to the frame. When I stripped everything to start the repairs I found the seat support was slightly bent, but the biggest thing was the floor mount. On of the studs that hold the seat is bent, several rivets pulled through the floor, and the front corner of the pan was slightly bent up. I will have to completely remove it make sure it is straight before putting it back it. I am 100% positive had there been a layer of carpet under it, it would have been way worse, as that would have allowed the pan to move because it would not have been direct contact with the floor. Why risk it when all you have to do it trim the carpet around the floor pan.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

12. Thanks Junbug thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I fastened my Breeze mounts directly to the chassis and carpeted over them (with sound deadening cut around them), cutting slices for the studs to stick through. It'd be better if they were 1/8" taller, but they still work well.
    MK4, 427LS3, IRS, T56 Magnum, Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a photo of one of my Breeze seat pans riveted in place over the carpet. It's riveted in with 21 3/16" 18-8 SS rivets. Each rivet has a shear strength of nearly 1,000 lbs. 4 of those rivets are directly into the 4" frame tube, and most of the others are into the steel underpan. If you're in an accident that generates 21,000 lbs. of shear force, you're dead. The four bolts holding the seat base to the angled seat mount will likely shear before these 21 rivets shear.

Edit for those that will ask - All rivets that could be accessed from underneath where pulled from under the car to have a cleaner looking undercarriage. Those that went into the frame tubes or couldn't be reached/seen from underneath were pulled from above.

Last edited by JohnK; 07-22-2024 at 07:41 PM.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

15. Thanks Junbug thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I cut out a window of the carpet and mounted the bases directly to the metal of the body. Seemed to be the better/more solid option at the time.

17. Thanks Junbug thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used sliders, bolted on the carpet, thru to the 4" tube and the floor pan, with 5/16" bolts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen them done both ways but it's hard to argue with Rich's real world experience. I always knew he was a crash test dummy.

Jeff

20. Thanks Junbug thanked for this post
    Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    And I have the scars to prove it

22. Thanks Junbug thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    And I have the scars to prove it
    Sorry to hear about your crash, but glad you are here to talk about it.

DISCLAIMER: this is a slight "thread highjack". You can tell me to post it as a new subject. I won't cry.

While on the subject of safety, I am looking for advice on how to secure the 5th or 6th "submarine" belt on racing harnesses. I have not bought one yet but am convinced of their advantage over the FFR Simpson 4 points. Ed K.

Post Thanks / Like
    unless things have changed recently, which I doubt, FRR supplies Simpson 5 pt harnesses, not 4

Post Thanks / Like
    I welded in a steal plate on the underneath of the car to the frame and bolted in the Kirkey mounts to that. Kirkey seats are bolted to the Kirkey mounts. Also using 6pt harness now. Maybe overkill for the street? Dunno, but that's what my local HPDE Club inspector wanted.
    MK3 Challenge Car, Boss 347, Sniper 2 EFI

Post Thanks / Like
    So I did things a bit different than others. I created two 1/8" plates, bolted those to the frame at one location, and then bolted the sliders to the plates (and through the bottom as necessary). I think that should do the trick but reading Rich's comments I get to second guess myself juuussstt enough.

20240509_154117.jpg

baseplates.jpg
    Last edited by BrewCityCobra; 07-24-2024 at 02:23 PM.
    BUILD THREAD: The Brew City Cobra

Current Build: MK4 Complete Kit, Delivered December 2021; First Start November 9, 2022; Go-Cart November 23, 2022; Carbureted 427W, TKX, IRS

27. Thanks Junbug thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Guys,
    When I did mine, I had the same question so I called Mark from Breeze and he told me no carpeting below his mounts.
    So I did just as some others have done, used the bottom of the Breeze mount as a template, cut around it and mounted directly to the Aluminum.
    Ray

29. Thanks Junbug thanked for this post
    Likes cc2Arider liked this post