FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  212
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Mike in Texas FFR Roadster Build - Small To-Do Things

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdeal0527 View Post
    That is is the Bluest Blue I have ever seen it is very cool! Car looks awesome Mike !

Steve
    For real. So blue. Good work.
    Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...809#post556809

MKIV received 5/15/24

Blueprint 302 tuned by Mike Forte, TKX midshift, IRS, PS, Wilwoods

2. Thanks Mike.Bray thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,
    Sure looks good.....I noticed its BLUE!!!!

On the roll bar. Next time you get a chance can you measure the distance between the bottom side of the top of the hoop just in from the fishmouth cut on the rear down tube, to the top of the rear trim ring. I'm having nightmares about cutting mine to short. I measured mine and tried to estimate where on the body it will be, but without installing the body it was a fools errand. I transfered the the angle of the lower hoop to the rear down tube and it still looks like I'm to short and the 45' cut will stick out of the trim ring. Not gonna cut it till I'm 100% sure. I was thinking I'd give Mark a call on Monday.

Allyn
    DSC03137.JPGDSC03138.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebostar View Post
    Mike,
    Sure looks good.....I noticed its BLUE!!!!

On the roll bar. Next time you get a chance can you measure the distance between the bottom side of the top of the hoop just in from the fishmouth cut on the rear down tube, to the top of the rear trim ring. I'm having nightmares about cutting mine to short. I measured mine and tried to estimate where on the body it will be, but without installing the body it was a fools errand. I transfered the the angle of the lower hoop to the rear down tube and it still looks like I'm to short and the 45' cut will stick out of the trim ring. Not gonna cut it till I'm 100% sure. I was thinking I'd give Mark a call on Monday.

Allyn
    DSC03137.JPGDSC03138.JPG
    It is BLUE! I had it next to my blue Tacoma the other day and it made my truck look anemic.

The car is over at the photo studio right now and then to get my ASE safety inspection. Hopefully I have it home late next week and I'll get some measurements and pictures for you.

Mike
    My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Got back in town today and picked up the paperwork for my required ASE inspection. This is the last missing piece that I need, now I can compile everything and head to the DMV for registration and tags. Fingers crossed I'll be legal in a few days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Bray View Post
    Got back in town today and picked up the paperwork for my required ASE inspection. This is the last missing piece that I need, now I can compile everything and head to the DMV for registration and tags. Fingers crossed I'll be legal in a few days.
    Mike
    Good luck with the ASE inspection. I hope you have "a guy with a clue" lined up. I've heard a couple horror stories out of Texas. Let us know how it went. Here in Oregon the the DMV guy just thumbs through the build book, walks out to make sure it looks like a car with all the big pieces installed and gives you a thumbs up!
    Allyn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebostar View Post
    Mike
    Good luck with the ASE inspection. I hope you have "a guy with a clue" lined up. I've heard a couple horror stories out of Texas. Let us know how it went. Here in Oregon the the DMV guy just thumbs through the build book, walks out to make sure it looks like a car with all the big pieces installed and gives you a thumbs up!
    Allyn
    ASE inspection is done! I was picking up the completed forms from the ASE tech, sailed through with no issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice one Mike! Wishing you wide open roads.

Cheers,

Nige
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

Post Thanks / Like
    Good on ya Mike. If I ever get to Texas and see a giant grin driving down the road making an ungodly racket I'll know it's you!

11. Likes Mike.Bray, M. Townsend liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

13. Thanks toadster thanked for this post
    Likes Ted G, Bill Elliott, Fman, toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice pics Mike!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff!

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks great Mike!

17. Thanks Mike.Bray thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A compilation of my build from delivery to completion.

19. Likes BadAsp427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    While waiting on the DMV to do their thing with my paperwork we've been doing some test & tune drives around the neighborhood. This was last night.

One thing I will add as I build up miles on the car, I am SO GLAD the forum convinced me to go with power steering!! Anyone on the fence about this one, do it! You will not regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Registration & Title Process

I received my approved paperwork back from the DMV this week so headed down to the local tax office this morning to see about getting my car registered and titled. There's a small tax office not far from me that's never very busy so I headed there with my stack of papers and no appointment. I only had to wait about 15 minutes before being called. Very fortunately the clerk helping me had done a couple of new registrations before so she was on it. She did have to reference the state manual a couple of times but no big deal.

Bruce in Houston pointed out that per the state manual an assembled vehicle with an MSO and an assigned VIN number from the kit manufacturer, a VIN inspection is not required in Texas. The attorney I hired to process the paperwork for me said it is, it's on the check list. The DMV sent back a checklist on my paperwork and the VIN inspection (VTR-68-A) is checked. Whether this is checked because I submitted the VTR-68-A or it's because they actually require it IDK. So, while I was at the tax office today I asked the lady and she said she wants to see it. A little further research today revealed that while the state may be King the tax office is God lol. All I can say at this point is I still don't know if you need a VIN inspection in Texas for these cars or not, it appears to be up to the tax office?

The other question that came up was if any tax was due. I've spoken to a few FFR builders here in Texas and it seems about split on whether they paid tax or not. The kit from Factory Five is not taxed and some builders have paid tax on this. In the Texas Motor Vehicle Tax Guide it says for Homebuilt or Shop-Made motor vehicles there is no initial tax for the builder as no sale of a motor vehicle has occurred. The gray area in this is the MSO and a VIN assigned by FFR, is this considered a motor vehicle or not. I had a copy of the tax code printed out and was all ready to make my argument but it never came up. The clerk had me put the sales price as what I paid Factory Five and then check the Exemption box and say "Built by Owner". Whether the clerk didn't understand the tax code or the tax code does include kit cars or if it was just my charming personality again IDK. But I was pleased as punch to get my registration all done for about $100

At the end of the day I walked out 45 minutes after arriving with registration and a temporary tag so I can (legally) drive now. The state will send me my permanent tags and title in 2-3 weeks.

It was definitely a good day!

22. Likes BadAsp427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Mike. I'm still very interested to see what your custom plates consist of. I still stand by not needing the VIN inspection, and perhaps both of us are charming, but I wrote "VEHICLE IS ASSEMBLED FROM ALL NEW COMPONENTS" in my exemption box and paid $0 taxes as well.

It felt surreal to think that, after that registration process, I was allowed to drive it anywhere I wanted. Enjoy that.
    MK4, 427LS3, IRS, T56 Magnum, Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Its Bruce View Post
    Congrats Mike. I'm still very interested to see what your custom plates consist of. I still stand by not needing the VIN inspection, and perhaps both of us are charming, but I wrote "VEHICLE IS ASSEMBLED FROM ALL NEW COMPONENTS" in my exemption box and paid $0 taxes as well.

It felt surreal to think that, after that registration process, I was allowed to drive it anywhere I wanted. Enjoy that.
    I looked into the tax deal a little more and I believe they are correct in not charging tax. The tax code says tax is to be collected on the sale of a motor vehicle. The kit from Factory Five, even though it has an MSO and a VIN number, is most definitely not a motor vehicle. It would not pass a safety inspection and cannot be registered as is. The county tax office is responsible for collecting registration fees and sales tax on vehicle sales only. As Factory Five did not charge sales tax there could be use tax due but that's not the responsible of the County Tax Assessor-Collector.

My registration says the following which I suspect is pretty similar to what you have.

Plate Type: Custom Vehicle PLT
    Organization: Custom Vehicle
    Year: 2023
    Make: ASVE
    Body Style: RD
    Model: Replica 1965 Shelby Cobra

Getting in and out of there with my registration complete and a temp tag in hand did feel surreal! I certainly had a spring in my step for the rest of the day. TBH the registration process was the only part of the build that I was worried about, I think mainly because so much of it was out of my control. So it was a huge relief to have everything go so smoothly.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the hurdle!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Bray View Post
    A little further research today revealed that while the state may be King the tax office is God lol.
    "The power to tax involves the power to destroy" -- John Marshall (SCOTUS)

so.. yeah.
    Rob Windsor

Post Thanks / Like
    Since I'm in the more money than brains group I had my MKIV drawn for fun. Might get a Tee shirt printed

Post Thanks / Like
    Received my title in the mail today. That's about it for this project for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice one Mike. I hope you will stick around on the forum, you have great knowledge to share.

Cheers to many miles of happy driving.

Nige
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Allen View Post
    Nice one Mike. I hope you will stick around on the forum, you have great knowledge to share.

Cheers to many miles of happy driving.

Nige
    Thanks Nigel, I plan on sticking around. I got a lot out of the forum so now I should give back some.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Project Cobra has been running well and my wife and I are enjoying tooling around in it. It's had a small and annoying oil leak from the rear of the pan and unfortunately it started getting worse so I decided to address it. I've never been real pleased with the pan I had so this looked like a good time to update it. Talking to my buddy Ted I decided to go with an Aviaid 155-55363 6.5" deep model. Of course it's not in stock so it's probably another week or so out.

When I dropped the old pan I was able to confirm there was not any oil in the bellhousing so that's great news. But what I did discover is a machining error with the rear main cap that has required a clever engineer solution. I'll detail all of this after I get the new and leak-free pan installed.

In the meantime I've changed out the brake pads to Wilwood BP-20 looking for a little more bite and stopping power. It's obvious from sight and feel that these are softer than my old pads so I'm excited to see how they feel. Hopefully these will test the shoulder belts.

I've been very happy with my DIY alignment except for the steering wheel being slightly off center, enough to bother my OCD. So today I redid the toe adjustment and centered the steering wheel. We'll see how it drives and do a final toe adjustment after a few miles.

And finally, cup holders. This is something I debated about throughout the build, should I or shouldn't I. Finally decided to go ahead, it will be a convenient place for my key FOB. Went with these nice little ones. I don't think they look too bad but need to add some Thermo-Tec on the back side of them.

That's it for now.

31. Likes buttsjim liked this post
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011