Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Kit-Supplied Radiator Fan For 427W

Post Thanks / Like

Kit-Supplied Radiator Fan For 427W

Should I upgrade my kit-supplied radiator fan for my 427W? I've read a bit on the forum that the 2170CFM fan is inadequate, and I should shoot for 3000CFM. I have all the Breeze bits for the radiator, as well.

Thanks,

Greg
    Built an early MkIII years ago, sold years ago.
    Got Corvettes out of my system, and now back after 18 years to build a MkIV.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker (in the process of building it now), EFI System - Edelbrock Pro Flow 4, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes
    Here to learn, contribute, and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

3. Likes Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    With a shroud it will be fine.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I upgraded to the Flex-A-Lite also with the Breeze shroud. The FFR supplied fan moves less air and sounds like an F-16 on afterburner. Drowns out the exhaust.
    My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been using the supplied fan on my 427 with no issues. I run a 160 degree thermostat. The only time the fan comes on is when I'm stopped at a light. I put the breeze shroud on and honestly, I can't tell the difference. Temp stays the same. Looks nice though.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO ... if your radiator fan drowns out the exhaust ... your exhaust is not loud enough.

8. Likes Mike.Bray, Joel Hauser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went with this unit from Ron Davis, but only because I got a deal I couldn't pass up and it's made for the LS. At the low temp (196), both Spal fans come on at half-speed, which pulls more air and is quieter than one fan at full speed. At the high temp (207), both fans operate at full speed -- still pretty quiet, but I'm pretty sure they'd suck a small person into the radiator.

Complete overkill for the LS3, but then again so are most of the engines we put in these things.

Last edited by OB6; 06-30-2024 at 06:32 PM.

10. Likes cc2Arider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, folks! This is great info and gives me something to ponder!

Greg
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker (in the process of building it now), EFI System - Edelbrock Pro Flow 4, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Others w/ Coyote experience will chime in I am sure. My experience w/ my 408W w/ a 180F T-stat was it would run up to 195 and then the temp sender would kick on the fan and it would slowly drop back to 180. So it was a constant cycle. I added a manual over ride switch which I flipped on when I figured it would be needed. Fan ran all the time and the cycling stopped. Engine just stayed at 180-185F.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Breeze designed a shroud specifically to fit the Flex-Wave 105390
    https://breezeautomotive.com/shop/70...-electric-fan/
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark, what is the difference in the shroud? I have one of your original ones for use with the FFR supplied fan.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    Mark, what is the difference in the shroud? I have one of your original ones for use with the FFR supplied fan.
    To quote you, Rich, do your own research...it's right there on Breeze's website:

Screenshot 2024-07-18 172615.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    That tells me nothing, which is why I asked Mark. I looked there 1st
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually downgraded for a quieter fan. I'm pulling just over 1500 CFM and no cooling issues whatsoever. Plus it runs much quieter... I have the Breeze shroud and an overflow tank and never run over 190* running a 427w

Ted
    #10333 Complete Kit, Carbed 427w, TKX, IRS and many other upgrades

• Order Date: September 11, 2021 - 20th Anniversary of 9/11
    • Delivery Day: April 1, 2022 - April Fool's Day
    • First Start and Go-Kart: January 20th, 2023
    • Graduation Date: July 4th, 2023 - Independence Day!!
    • Legal Registration Date: October 4, 2023 - My Birthday!!

Visit my MKIV Build Thread (#10333)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted G View Post
    I actually downgraded for a quieter fan. I'm pulling just over 1500 CFM and no cooling issues whatsoever. Plus it runs much quieter... I have the Breeze shroud and an overflow tank and never run over 190* running a 427w

Ted
    What temperature thermostat are you running? What temperature are you turning your fan on at?

Post Thanks / Like
    Which fan did you use, Ted? I'm not a 'fan' of loud cooling fans and I've heard the FFR supplied one is noticeable. I'd be interested in a quieter fan that is adequate to cool my 302 with the Breeze shroud.
    Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...809#post556809

MKIV received 5/15/24

Blueprint 302 tuned by Mike Forte, TKX midshift, IRS, PS, Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps I am the anomaly, but I cannot hear my FFR supplied fan (in a Breeze shroud) with the car on. I have the GasN touring pipes (quieter version) as well. I also have a lot of sound deadening on the firewall, dash, and just about everywhere I could put it. When I first start the car, I let the fuel pump run for a few seconds prior to ignition. If the car is warm I can hear the fan in those few seconds where I let the fuel pump prime the FI, but not once the engine turns over.
    Mk 4 complete kit w/IRS delivered (mostly) 10-31-22. BPE 347FI w/TXK. First start July 2023. Completed build February 2024. Officially legal 05-17-2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The different fans have different center hole shapes and different mounting hole locations.
    The difference in the shrouds is just the shape of the center hole and the location of the 4 mounting screw holes.
    Hope that helps!

Also please note that ambient temperature affects cooling capacity significantly which may be the wild card in different peoples experiences.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.