Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Help changing to QA1 coil overs on Gen 1 with 3 link rear

Post Thanks / Like

Help changing to QA1 coil overs on Gen 1 with 3 link rear

Wow, its been a while since I have been on here but I am looking for some help & guidance in changing over from the FFR supplied Koni to QA1 coil overs.

I built my Gen 1 '33 (serial #600) 10 years ago and now as I am getting older, I would like to soften up my ride.
    I am running a Chevy 350 and have the 3 link rear suspension with FFR supplied Koni shocks and springs.

Any help with which QA1 part numbers for the front and rears along with spring lengths and weights would be appreciated. I have searched the forum and am pretty sure I know what I need for the fronts (DD403 w/ 9" springs) but I am not sure on the rears as their are various rear suspension set ups. Who is running a Gen 1 with a 3 link rear suspension with a QA1 set up? What are you using in the rear?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you sure you need new shocks? You do not need them just to soften up your ride - I'd swap just springs first, they are super cheap. I buy from Jegs.

What rate are you running for springs F/R now?

P.S. the springs are compatible between both shocks, so you're not losing anything by just buying software springs first
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

3. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    Are you sure you need new shocks? You do not need them just to soften up your ride - I'd swap just springs first, they are super cheap. I buy from Jegs.

What rate are you running for springs F/R now?

P.S. the springs are compatible between both shocks, so you're not losing anything by just buying software springs first
    I am running what FFR sent with the kit from 10 years ago which are 500# fronts and 400# in the rears. I know I can simply change out the springs but I like the adjust-ability on the QA1 to make adjustments as needed base on how crappy the road is that I am on here in California.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crspdsk8 View Post
    I am running what FFR sent with the kit from 10 years ago which are 500# fronts and 400# in the rears. I know I can simply change out the springs but I like the adjust-ability on the QA1 to make adjustments as needed base on how crappy the road is that I am on here in California.
    Wow, my kit came with 400 lb in the front and 250 lb in the rear. The front is ok but I am considering dropping to 175 lb in the rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I’d recommend 400/175 too - I’ve seen others use that combo. The adjustability of qa1’s is cool but won’t get you the big improvements that the springs will
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    I had 500 front and 350 rear. I put the rears (350) on the front and bought 220s for the rear. On the fronts I needed to use the Koni top bearing mounts on the QA1s. The QA1s bearing mounts were too short and wide. They could not clear themselves so I used the Koni bearing mount tops. You will need to rethread the konis tops. The Konis are the correct diameter but the wrong pitch. QA1 makes a longer mount and for another $100 or so. On the rears I screwed up and purchased shocks with bushings. I ended up using the bearing mounts I took off the front QA1s and used them on the rear upper mounts. It worked out well. DS601s are correct for the rears. DS502s are correct for the fronts but when mounting them upside down the top mounts will touch. Order the extensions or use the Koni bearing mounts. Order the Thrust bearing kits for the shocks.