Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Shocks over extending

Post Thanks / Like

Shocks over extending

How do you keep this from happening?

shock.jpg

To get the front suspension ride height set right, I had to lower the spring seat on the adjustment sleeve. Now, when I jack the front of the truck up, the shock extends beyond the length of the spring. Do I need limiting straps?

Additionally the 35 truck manual says the front shock extended length should be 15.15 inches. (that was how I determined which shock body to use up front) This is exactly what I have. It also say that the front shocks are 2.5 inches shorter than the Rear shocks, My rear shocks are about 1/2 inch shorter than the front. Should I put the shorter shocks in the front?

shocks diagram.PNG
    Last edited by Guardm16; 07-23-2024 at 03:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Search for helper springs on Jegs or similar. It’s an easy fix (I had the same issue)
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    Search for helper springs on Jegs or similar. It’s an easy fix (I had the same issue)
    At this point I am also concerned about the sag in the back. With the rear shocks fully extended the rear is level or just lower than the front. I really want a slightly higher rear. So, something is just not right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it does sound like you need to check everything
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19

Post Thanks / Like
    I think this part is the key.. call FFR. It sounds like you got wrong parts.. the manual could be out of date, but I would expect the rears to be longer, not shorter.

> It also says that the front shocks are 2.5 inches shorter than the Rear shocks; my rear shocks are about 1/2 inch shorter than the front. Should I put the shorter shocks in the front?
    James