Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Extend engine wire harness Gen 3 Coyote

Post Thanks / Like

Extend engine wire harness Gen 3 Coyote

Hi, I would like to insatall the PCM for my Coyote Gen 3 behind the dash with the connection ports protruding through the fire wall into the engine bay. The Engine Harness will not reach this location without modification. I'd venture to think if I called FORD they would tell me that extending any harness wiring is not recomended. It would be nice if I opened the harness and there was slack to give me what I need. Does anyone have any experience with this?
    Any help greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think someone has done it. There's not much room behind the dash to begin with. If you have ac the ducting needs a lot of space. The PCM is fairly large and would likely be sticking out of the firewall a few inches into the engine bay. I don't think the harness would be a problem. I have mine mounted in the middle of the firewall and only had to extend the throttle body harness (I bought and extension harness for that) and maybe one other. You wouldn't be any worse.
    John
    Gen 3 Coupe #334 received 11/4/21. Coyote, IRS, TKX, Wilwoods
    '02 GT donor, 4.6 sohc, Received #5488 on 5/29/06. 3-link, ps, pb. Hoosier Cobra member (Hoosiercobra.com)

Post Thanks / Like
    They did it at Dave Kindig's shop a while back, *****in Rides season 7 episode 1, Easy Does It. They put a Gen 3 Coyote into a 65 Mustang Fastback. Not a lot of the episode devoted to the wiring, but there are a few seens in there where Dave is impressed by the number of wire in the harness.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard of guys unwrapping the Coyote engine harness from the stock location and allowing it to be extended backwards. But the Gen3 has even more wires with the direct injection. On a Roadster, the PCM can be installed on the outside of the hood frame and is basically hidden once the body is on. If you get the Coyote installation package from FFR, they provide the mounting bracket for this location. Without extending any wires. I'm pretty adventuresome, but wouldn't attempt to extend any of the PCM wires. This picture is the Gen2 build in my 20th Anniversary Roadster. But the Gen3 would be the same.

Last edited by edwardb; 07-23-2024 at 10:16 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 to what Edwardb said. I'd mount it in the FFR-recommended location with the provided bracket. It's a good spot. No reason I can think of to reinvent this wheel. I did unwrap a good amount of the coyote harness to relocate wires, and that might provide you with some freedom to move things around, but IMO trying to extend wires is just asking for tough-to-diagnose electrical gremlins down the road. If you decide to unwrap/re-wrap, buy some non-adhesive vinyl harness wrap and you can re-wrap the harness to look just like OEM.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    X2 on what Paul said. There are at least 70 wires in my gen 1 loom. Each extension requires 2 joins, so that's at least 140 joins. I am sure there are many morewires in the gen 3 looms. I am a keen and confident sparky, but would wuss out on making that many joints in one loom. Physical limitations would also be problematic with that many joints in a short loom.

Nigel

Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Shu View Post
    I think someone has done it. There's not much room behind the dash to begin with. If you have ac the ducting needs a lot of space. The PCM is fairly large and would likely be sticking out of the firewall a few inches into the engine bay. I don't think the harness would be a problem. I have mine mounted in the middle of the firewall and only had to extend the throttle body harness (I bought and extension harness for that) and maybe one other. You wouldn't be any worse.
    All good with the space for the PCM behind the firewall. Could you tell me where you purchased the harness extension for the Throttle body?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    If heard of guys unwrapping the Coyote engine harness from the stock location and allowing it to be extended backwards. But the Gen3 has even more wires with the direct injection. On a Roadster, the PCM can be installed on the outside of the hood frame and is basically hidden once the body is on. If you get the Coyote installation package from FFR, they provide the mounting bracket for this location. Without extending any wires. I'm pretty adventuresome, but wouldn't attempt to extend any of the PCM wires. This picture is the Gen2 build in my 20th Anniversary Roadster. But the Gen3 would be the same.

Looks beautiful! I have the Install package from FFR. I have the room behind the firewall and seems pretty simple to put it there. (Barring any issues with the need to extend wires.....lol). It just seems much easier to access should there ever be an issue with it. Your input is greatly appreciated!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Time View Post
    All good with the space for the PCM behind the firewall. Could you tell me where you purchased the harness extension for the Throttle body?
    Ballenger motorsports https://www.amazon.com/Ballenger-Mot...08K3G4WKT?th=1
    John
    Gen 3 Coupe #334 received 11/4/21. Coyote, IRS, TKX, Wilwoods
    '02 GT donor, 4.6 sohc, Received #5488 on 5/29/06. 3-link, ps, pb. Hoosier Cobra member (Hoosiercobra.com)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Shu View Post
    Thank you !!